Backing up photos

bob-a

I don't know about the OP but I shoot in RAW format and can get approx 500 photos to a 32gb card .. I can shoot that easily in a day overseas on holiday so I need a backup system or buy 20 or more cards . I've always taken a laptop but I really want to be free of it this trip.

Sometimes you're just in that kind of pickle. :)

In the past, we took our laptop along with us on cruises. On our trip coming up shortly on the Island P., we are taking a tablet instead. I used to transfer photos from our camera thru the laptop onto thumbdrives. Can't do it with the tablet - no SD port, no usb port:(. Haven't sailed on Princess for a while, so question:

can I use the ship's photo shop to transfer pics from an SD card onto either a DVD or thumbdrive? If so, what would be the charge?

Additionally, would anyone have a suggestion for an alternative way of backing up photos. I get nervous without at least one or two levels of backup:eek:

You are good about having double backup! Generally speaking redundancy has been good enough for me, the card+ laptop and hasn't let me down yet. Hardware is pretty good these days the bigger risk is theft and loss.

Most tablets except Apple of course support microSD or have microSD cable ports so you can likely to transfer with them. A word of caution is storage on most tablets pale compared the cost of extra memory cards.

The easiest might be simply buying extra cards and copy daily from one card to another thru a multi slot self powered USB hub hooked up to your tablet.

The best, get a new slim PC and have the best of all worlds :D

I have an Eye-fi Sd card that is wireless itself. Transfers all pictures from card to app on tablet. Sets up its on wi fi network so don't need conventional wi fi. Need to setup on lap or desktop. So take pics, bring camera near tablet and auto transfer

Thanks for the photos of the RAV power hub .. Ive now ordered one . Hope this helped the OP too

Hope that it works for you. I borrowed one from my brother for my last trip where I filled 4 16 GIG cards and 1/2 of a 32 GIG card. The thing worked but unless I was using it wrong, it was very very very slow. In fact, I gave up on the thing. You should know that I shoot RAW + JPEG and each photo takes about 32 meg.

The next time I will take my android tablet. Not much heavier and works well for photo backup.

DON

Hope that it works for you. I borrowed one from my brother for my last trip where I filled 4 16 GIG cards and 1/2 of a 32 GIG card. The thing worked but unless I was using it wrong, it was very very very slow. In fact, I gave up on the thing. You should know that I shoot RAW + JPEG and each photo takes about 32 meg.

The next time I will take my android tablet. Not much heavier and works well for photo backup.

DON

Don ,I have an android tablet (nexus) but fail to see how I could use it as backup as it only has 16gb storage..

Don ,I have an android tablet (nexus) but fail to see how I could use it as backup as it only has 16gb storage..

http://www.worldjourneyman.com/how-transfer-photos-sd-card-hdd-using-google-nexus-7/ The Passport hard drive could as easily be a thumbdrive. There are several apps like Nexus Media Importer. One can also use a file manager app.

Edited by broberts

Wouldn't you be able to use the computers in the Internet Cafe? If you were only using the computer to move photos through from the camera to a flash drive, there would be no issue with trying to store things on the ship's computer. Have never tried this, but seems logical. Guess you would just have to be careful not to appear to be a computer hog.

http://www.worldjourneyman.com/how-transfer-photos-sd-card-hdd-using-google-nexus-7/ The Passport hard drive could as easily be a thumbdrive. There are several apps like Nexus Media Importer. One can also use a file manager app.

That would work for small quantities but you could only transfer under 16g at a time as they go through the nexus. That's why the rav power hub will work. You use an app on tablet to transfer direct from the card to the hard drive bypassing the tablet ..

I'll stick with that option i think ! Thanks though!

That would work for small quantities but you could only transfer under 16g at a time as they go through the nexus. That's why the rav power hub will work. You use an app on tablet to transfer direct from the card to the hard drive bypassing the tablet ..

I'll stick with that option i think ! Thanks though!

Not necessarily. Using a file manager app the files never get stored on the tablet. The tablet, thumbdrive, and sd card all plug into the USB hub. The tablet simply provides the smarts to move files from the sd card to the thumbdrive.

Another way to look at it. Imagine the tablet as a desktop with a card reader and thumbdrive plugged in. One would open my computer (file manager app) locate the the sd card device and copy the files to the thumbdrive device. (In Android one might need to first mount the two devices and unmount them when done.)

You copy from the camera card to the tablet. You then copy from the tablet to 2 different flash drives. You then delete the files from the tablet if you do not have enough space.

Works for me although I also keep them on the tablet as I have 64 gig of memory on the tablet.

DON