National Geographic Photo Program Yesterday? Tips/Insights!!

TLCOhio

From yesterday's National Geographic Traveler photo seminar in Columbus, Ohio, titled: "The Travel Assignment", here are a few of my highlights and summary points:

This is the fifth of their programs that I have attended. First was in Philadelphia, March 2012,, then previously three such presentations in Columbus (October 2012 plus May and November 2013). Each of these programs has two of their expert photographers sharing tips, insights and many photo examples. Very interesting and inspiring!! Lots of opportunities to ask questions of these experts who are so experienced and very well-traveled. Some might assume that doing such programs would get "old" or repetitive. BUT, yesterday's was one of the best, thanks to the upsetting sharing by these two photographers.

Jim Richardson has become a super expert for National Geographic on Scotland, especially for their scenic and unique islands. Jim lives in a small town (Lindsborg) in central Kansas near to where my wife's brother lives in Junction City. Jim's sense of humor was wonderful and both of them do not get too "technical" in suggesting their secrets for getting good pictures from your travels.

Dan Westergren is the Senior Photo Editor for National Geographic Traveler magazine and opened with some of the top, top visual highlights during the first thirty years with this magazine.

From Jim: Be interesting, don’t be boring. Do photo views from a higher location. For areas such as the Amazon or Africa, getting some from a higher angle, such an aircraft, can be helpful in putting the locations in perspective. Try for something more than just at water or ground level. Things have changed. Just taking a picture of a “place” is not your real or best experience. Make it about your “unique experience” to be more "personal"!! With a wide angle lens, you can change the scale, get more “involved” in the scene. A wide angle allows you to show more in the background. Doing festivals with its outpouring of local pride and character is always colorful. He summarized: “If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.”

From Dan: Their magazines like photos that have a “sense of place”. Likes to put their readers in the destinations where we travel. The NG approach is liking to have people in their pictures. Not just a sterile or post-card image. On defining light, photographs speak through light. The light defines the mood and the feeling of the place. Shooting at dusk is the best time of the day to shoot. They want "meaningful" pictures, not just pretty pictures that have been seen many times previously. Window light is our best fried for getting great lighting effects. Getting down low helps to separate the subject from the background. NG Traveler does much on cities and food/dining places, bars, etc., as locations where there is “action”.

On photographing people, Jim strongly suggests getting "below the surface". Get them in their environment, their setting. Let those things come out in the pictures. On tips for reflecting the character of the people you are shooting, he gave an example of photos with Mounties in Canada. Get to know them first. Make that personal “connection”. Look for "telling gestures". Let them be themselves.

For "capturing moments", it can be more difficult to get. You need to shoot lots of frames. Festivals are great and it could be good to get to the starting point or later at the end of the parade or program. Anticipate what is coming. Prepare and anticipate, watching for repeating moments. Set-up and wait!!?? Try lots of different things, angles, looks, ready for the moment.

From Dan on using light, we can see with our eyes in both shadow and bright light. But, the camera cannot do that wide of a range of lighting. Go when the light is good. Take the picture from a variety of angles. See what works best. Backlighting will often give it more depth.

These are only a few of my notes, but hopefully they inspire some encouragement to get better, more interesting visuals that will creative better memories from our life experiences and travels. Happy to share more, if needed or of benefit. Any others who have attend these NG programs or done any of their longer, on-location "adventures" at locations around the world?

From the March 2012 National Geographic Traveler photo seminar in Philadelphia, here is what I had posted earlier on that program, their photo tips, ideas, etc.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1590698

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 101,547 views for this posting.

Here are a few of my visual samples from the National Geographic photo seminar in Columbus yesterday. It shows photo editor Dan (the younger one) and experience field photographer Jim in action, sharing so much with the audience. Plus, a few of their photo examples were shown during this all-day program. These photo samples do not do full or even part justice to the quality of what they have produced. These visuals help give, however, a little "tasting" for the many exciting and interesting locations they have visited and documented over the years for the NG magazines.:

Winter2A16_zpsppseuywr.jpg

Winter2A15_zpszieg0ssc.jpg

Winter2A13_zpsorm0ps30.jpg

Winter2A17_zpsy399lxue.jpg

Winter2A12_zpsmn45inr3.jpg

Winter2A14_zpsjsgyajpr.jpg

Hey Terry, thanks so much for taking the time to post a summary of what you learned yesterday; much appreciated!

I love this line that you quoted from Jim:

He summarized: “If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.”

Too funny!! :)

Thanks Terry,

That saying is probably drilled into every NG photographer's head. I have been watching a video course by one of the NG photographers and he said the same thing though out the lessons.

Not so easy when you don't have an experienced eye like yours and theirs.

Sheal

Great picture.

Well, if that monkey took that selfie then I have a long way to go. I can barely focus and I haven't even tried to figure out the self timer yet.

Thanks for the laugh.

Sheal