Alaska Rail Road

debnjoe1438

Hi, looking at NCL's Alaska cruisetours, and wondering what is the difference betweee the "Adventure Class" and the "delux dome rail car". Trying to plan for 2015, however can't do much yet as tour schedules aren't ready. :(

This is described on the Alaska RR web site. Anchorage/Seward run. With a cruise tour, be certain, you understand, fully, everything you are looking at. Most people do not. Key is to be sure you aren't on a too much transit tour, with little time at destinations. And the importance in being where you want to be. Denali Park is the major concern.

Any cruise tour, can also be custom duplicated, independent, if of interest, allowing for your specific interests in the time and destinations.

This is described on the Alaska RR web site. Anchorage/Seward run. With a cruise tour, be certain, you understand, fully, everything you are looking at. Most people do not. Key is to be sure you aren't on a too much transit tour, with little time at destinations. And the importance in being where you want to be. Denali Park is the major concern.

Any cruise tour, can also be custom duplicated, independent, if of interest, allowing for your specific interests in the time and destinations.

Thanks for the info. I will specifically check Anchorage/Seward run.

We did our land tour DIY. Worked great for us and we could see/do what we wanted when we wanted. We did take the train from Anchorage to Seward and booked the "Gold Class" (can't remember the proper terminology) service. I did this primarily because my mother tends to stress over things like getting a really good seat and I wanted to eliminate that stress for her on vacation. Gold Class has all seating on the upper level of a domed car and it is assigned seating. Our seats were on the first car, over the dining area with a beverage service on the upper level at the back of our car. It was great! I know we could have saved some money using a coupon for the Adventure class, but for us it really was worth the money paid to not have to listen to my mom complain about anything! Trust me - she can find something to complain about in everything! Love her dearly, but can't handle the complain sessions! So far, I haven't heard anything directly or through my sisters (who would tell me) about any complaints about our trip last year.

We did our land tour DIY. Worked great for us and we could see/do what we wanted when we wanted. We did take the train from Anchorage to Seward and booked the "Gold Class" (can't remember the proper terminology) service. I did this primarily because my mother tends to stress over things like getting a really good seat and I wanted to eliminate that stress for her on vacation. Gold Class has all seating on the upper level of a domed car and it is assigned seating. Our seats were on the first car, over the dining area with a beverage service on the upper level at the back of our car. It was great! I know we could have saved some money using a coupon for the Adventure class, but for us it really was worth the money paid to not have to listen to my mom complain about anything! Trust me - she can find something to complain about in everything! Love her dearly, but can't handle the complain sessions! So far, I haven't heard anything directly or through my sisters (who would tell me) about any complaints about our trip last year.

Thanks for the info. My husbands thoughts regarding spending extra for the domed car, if necessary is we are probably only going to do Alaska once, may as well do it right. (Well at least do what we want, and can fessably afford :)) Domed car would be preferable.

• 2 months later...

I am looking at the same option for July 2015 and may book the Gold Star Service (Dome Car) just to have access to a viewing platform. I can't find info anywhere that says the Adventure Class offers the same.

Anyone know?

I am looking at the same option for July 2015 and may book the Gold Star Service (Dome Car) just to have access to a viewing platform. I can't find info anywhere that says the Adventure Class offers the same.

Anyone know?

From what I've read here on CC, Adventure Class does offer a viewing platform (which is essentially a platform between 2 cars - I believe). BudgetQueen here on CC could clarify this if I'm wrong. As I said in my post, we would have booked Adventure Class to save some money, but since we had my mom with us, I wanted to try and eliminate her complaint sessions so we booked Gold Star Service. We're almost a year out, and I still haven't heard any complaints from Mom! LOL:D

I will specifically check Anchorage/Seward run.

That's the only section of the AKRR that's really awesome. Anchorage-Denali is a total snooze, and Denali-Fairbanks only has a short section of awesome (through the Nenana Gorge). I wouldn't turn down another Whittier-Anchorage, but it's not awesome :)

Hi, looking at NCL's Alaska cruisetours, and wondering what is the difference betweee the "Adventure Class" and the "delux dome rail car". Trying to plan for 2015, however can't do much yet as tour schedules aren't ready. :(

We're booked on an NCL Cruisetour this summer and have been wondering the same thing. Both Adventure and Gold Class have domed cars, but in the Gold Class, ALL seating is in the dome, whereas in Adventure Class, you go up top and take turns.

Even NCL's verbiage changes in different places and documents. The good news is that they are using Premiere Alaska Tours which use Wilderness Express Rail cars (like Princess and HAL do) and which, I believe, are similar to Gold Class (http://www.wildernessexpressrail.com/).

If you're booking for next year, you can wait until a few cruisetours have run in the next few weeks and then ask again. I'll be happy to report in my review as well, but not traveling until the end of August.

• 2 months later...
That's the only section of the AKRR that's really awesome. Anchorage-Denali is a total snooze, and Denali-Fairbanks only has a short section of awesome (through the Nenana Gorge). I wouldn't turn down another Whittier-Anchorage, but it's not awesome :)

Hmmm, maybe Adventure Class is fine for me then since I am traveling Anchorage to Denali.....

I booked us in the Goldstar class, even though it costs double the other. based on my research everyone seems to say it's worth it. you're getting a guaranteed premium viewing seat as opposed to having to take 20 minute turns on a platform. I'll let you know when we get back.

be aware the coupons for Adventure class can't be used on Fridays.

Hmmm, maybe Adventure Class is fine for me then since I am traveling Anchorage to Denali.....

I ride the Adventure class, not interested in the additional charges. :) In my case, I have had no problem with getting dome seating and enjoy moving about the train. I, again, did the Fairbanks/Denali run several days ago, and will be on the Anchorage/Seward train tomorrow. It suits me perfectly fine. If you want the Goldstar, then enjoy yourself and book this. :)

I ride the Adventure class, not interested in the additional charges. :) In my case, I have had no problem with getting dome seating and enjoy moving about the train. I, again, did the Fairbanks/Denali run several days ago, and will be on the Anchorage/Seward train tomorrow. It suits me perfectly fine. If you want the Goldstar, then enjoy yourself and book this. :)

Thanks. I'm still deciding since I have lots of time until I can book. The trip from Anchorage to Denali is long so it is a tough choice.

I only get to Alaska once ever 2 years but if I went as often as you - it would be no choice at all and I could try different things each year ;)

However, with grandkids in 2 states and limited vacation time I can't go as often as I would like :(

I book inside cabins and save wherever possible but this adds $85 to my total trip so I'm just not sure.......

We're booked on an NCL Cruisetour this summer and have been wondering the same thing. Both Adventure and Gold Class have domed cars, but in the Gold Class, ALL seating is in the dome, whereas in Adventure Class, you go up top and take turns.

Even NCL's verbiage changes in different places and documents. The good news is that they are using Premiere Alaska Tours which use Wilderness Express Rail cars (like Princess and HAL do) and which, I believe, are similar to Gold Class (http://www.wildernessexpressrail.com/).

If you're booking for next year, you can wait until a few cruisetours have run in the next few weeks and then ask again. I'll be happy to report in my review as well, but not traveling until the

Thanks for the information

On an NCL cruisetour you are in a beautiful "Wilderness Express" private double-decker dome car pulled by the Alaska Railroad. Seating is in the top deck' date=' dining is in the lower deck. There is only one class.[/quote']

Sounds great, can't wait. :D