Car/Limo Service Required For Use In NYC

mcd1966

Hi, we (6 persons) are staying in NYC for a week prior to our cruise on the Quantum Of The Seas on April 12, 2015 which leaves from Cape Liberty in Bayonne. We would like to have a car/limo service take us on a few trips and would appreciate some recommendations. We are flying into JFK and out of Newark and are staying midtown. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Are you just looking for transportation from Point A to Point B (such as airport to hotel and hotel to Cape Liberty), or are you looking for sightseeing tours?

If the former, I would check with with these two large NY Car services for transportation between JFK and your hotel, and from your hotel to Cape Liberty:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

If you want to tour by limo, I don't have a lot of expertise in that area. Perhaps someone else can help.

Are you just looking for transportation from Point A to Point B (such as airport to hotel and hotel to Cape Liberty), or are you looking for sightseeing tours?

If the former, I would check with with these two large NY Car services for transportation between JFK and your hotel, and from your hotel to Cape Liberty:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

If you want to tour by limo, I don't have a lot of expertise in that area. Perhaps someone else can help.

Hi,

We are just looking at transportation from Point A to Point B.

Someone did tell us about these companies before but the reviews on Yelp are pretty bad. Have you used either of these companies yourself ?

Hi,

We are just looking at transportation from Point A to Point B.

Someone did tell us about these companies before but the reviews on Yelp are pretty bad. Have you used either of these companies yourself ?

I've used Carmel a number of times from LGA to and from Manhattan. They are somewhat "no frills" but generally reliable, clean, and prompt. The only problem we ever had was on a Thanksgiving and we were trying to get picked up at Penn Station; wouldn't recommend that!

I find Yelp reviews interesting, and a reason to do more research, but don't really believe them anymore...

Either company will typically do hourly rates if you want to go somewhere and have them wait. That can add up quickly. Your hotel can usually get you a larger vehicle for a cab; they do exist and for short trips in Manhattan, may be as good as trying to get a car service. The Escalades and Suburbans and the like are certainly available, but I've mostly seen them doing corporate work.

I've used Carmel a number of times from LGA to and from Manhattan. They are somewhat "no frills" but generally reliable, clean, and prompt. The only problem we ever had was on a Thanksgiving and we were trying to get picked up at Penn Station; wouldn't recommend that!

I find Yelp reviews interesting, and a reason to do more research, but don't really believe them anymore...

Either company will typically do hourly rates if you want to go somewhere and have them wait. That can add up quickly. Your hotel can usually get you a larger vehicle for a cab; they do exist and for short trips in Manhattan, may be as good as trying to get a car service. The Escalades and Suburbans and the like are certainly available, but I've mostly seen them doing corporate work.

Thanks for that reply. I might contact the hotel where we are staying to see if they have a service or if they also recommend any particular company or companies. Have you utilized any service before ?

You're usually going to pay too much money for a car or limo service arranged by a hotel. The hotel makes money on the transaction too, so you also end up paying for their piece of the action .

The Yelp reviews are a joke. These car services transport thousands of passengers every month. Virtually no one who gets proper service is going to bother to write a positive review of a car service, only someone who has had a problem will post something. So if a thousand people use one of the services during a week and three of them have a problem (and no company is perfect so there will be the occasional problem) you'll hear from the 3 on Yelp but not from the 997 who had acceptable service.

I agree: Yelp reviews are completely unreliable. I've used Dial 7 for years and have NEVER had a problem with them. If you go through your hotel, they'll probably call Carmel or Dial 7 anyway, you'll just wind up paying more than if you book directly.

I've used both, Carmelo more than Dial 7 without any issue.

Carmelo also has coupons on the web, dial 7 will email you discount offers.

They both have smart phone apps that you can see how far cars are from you.

Works well at the airport, don't use it much in Manhattan.

FWIW

I've used both numerous times as well without issue. I usually will look at their websites and compare the costs and go with whatever is cheaper for trips to the airport. With both of them the driver will contact you when they arrive, so you don't have to go outside until they are there.

Within the city, if I'm not taking public transit then I take cabs. Your hotel should be able to hail cabs for you, most in midtown have someone who does that. You'd have to split up into 2 cars, but if you're all going the same place, it shouldn't really be an issue. Or you can go with the car service, really it's up to you. I like the ability to leave when I'm ready as opposed to at a specific pre-arranged time but YMMV.

Enjoy your visit!

I've used both, Carmelo more than Dial 7 without any issue.

Carmelo also has coupons on the web, dial 7 will email you discount offers.

They both have smart phone apps that you can see how far cars are from you.

Works well at the airport, don't use it much in Manhattan.

FWIW

Thanks for the info on the coupons and discount offers.

I've used both numerous times as well without issue. I usually will look at their websites and compare the costs and go with whatever is cheaper for trips to the airport. With both of them the driver will contact you when they arrive, so you don't have to go outside until they are there.

Within the city, if I'm not taking public transit then I take cabs. Your hotel should be able to hail cabs for you, most in midtown have someone who does that. You'd have to split up into 2 cars, but if you're all going the same place, it shouldn't really be an issue. Or you can go with the car service, really it's up to you. I like the ability to leave when I'm ready as opposed to at a specific pre-arranged time but YMMV.

Enjoy your visit!

The car service is primarily for JFK to hotel and hotel to Cape Liberty and then from Cape Liberty to Newark and also midtown as some of us are staying a few more days (lucky them). Apart from that I hope I can wrap my head around the subway and taxi system. I'm sure it's not as hard as I'm thinking it is lol ....

The car service is primarily for JFK to hotel and hotel to Cape Liberty and then from Cape Liberty to Newark and also midtown as some of us are staying a few more days (lucky them). Apart from that I hope I can wrap my head around the subway and taxi system. I'm sure it's not as hard as I'm thinking it is lol ....

I love hopstop dot com. It gives precise directions using mass transit. Besides the subways there are also above ground MTA busses that run on certain streets and avenues regularly. Since you are on vacation a few extra minutes to get somewhere and the ability to see some sights is something to consider.

I love hopstop dot com. It gives precise directions using mass transit. Besides the subways there are also above ground MTA busses that run on certain streets and avenues regularly. Since you are on vacation a few extra minutes to get somewhere and the ability to see some sights is something to consider.

I just tried HOPSTOP. It seems like it might be a good idea to try whilst we are spending time in the city. The car service is only required for the trips with our luggage.

For the last leg of your trip, Cape Liberty to Newark, you may just want to take a taxi rather than booking a car service The fare is $45 plus tolls and tip...about $60 total. Or you could even take a shared ride shuttle at $16 per person. Neither of these options require reservations...just see the dispatcher after you exit the cruise terminal.