Sainte Anne de Beaupre from the pier

icruiseMarilyn

We'd like to visit the basilica of Sainte Anne de Beaupre. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get a taxi from the pier? And, if it's easy to get a cab back to the pier or to the Old Town from the church? I went to google maps and it's about a half hour from the pier. However, directions from the church's website indicated a taxi to a bus.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Check out Tom's Port Guide for Quebec City: http://www.tomsportguides.com/QuebecCity-06-30-2014.pdf

He says you can take the 800 bus to Montmorency Falls. I am not sure how you would get to the Basilica from there. Ask this question on Trip Advisor.

Other than that you could rent a car.

I just put this into a google search and got lots of hits: "taxi quebec city to beaupre"

Check out Tom's Port Guide for Quebec City: http://www.tomsportguides.com/QuebecCity-06-30-2014.pdf

He says you can take the 800 bus to Montmorency Falls. I am not sure how you would get to the Basilica from there. Ask this question on Trip Advisor.

Other than that you could rent a car.

I just put this into a google search and got lots of hits: "taxi quebec city to beaupre"

Thank you so much Maryann! I found a site that gives the estimate taxi fare - ouch! Over $80 for a taxi, each way. So, we are rearranging our cruise ship excursions instead.

while I was at it, I put in the pier and the airport and taxi fare (approximate) is $22 approximately (plus tip). So, I was going to take the ship's excursion to Falls (which is included the day before's excursion to the Church) and ride to the airport. So, I won't need the ship's excursion and my husband and I will be able to see the church. Perhaps not all of it - but enough.

So - thank you so much for the suggestion to google it! (Why didn't I try that? DUH)

Thank you so much Maryann! I found a site that gives the estimate taxi fare - ouch! Over $80 for a taxi, each way. So, we are rearranging our cruise ship excursions instead.

while I was at it, I put in the pier and the airport and taxi fare (approximate) is $22 approximately (plus tip). So, I was going to take the ship's excursion to Falls (which is included the day before's excursion to the Church) and ride to the airport. So, I won't need the ship's excursion and my husband and I will be able to see the church. Perhaps not all of it - but enough.

So - thank you so much for the suggestion to google it! (Why didn't I try that? DUH)

For our September Canada / New England cruise we have rented a car at Enterprise for $40.92 taxes included. You might want to consider this option before giving up on this excursion.

I do not understand your explanation of what you decided, but we visited the falls by bus a couple of months ago and people who went on ship's trip did not see much of them and were not happy. Car sounds a very good option considering you are Canadian - we did not want to drive on the 'wrong ' side of the road.

Another option I had picked up before our cruise was this from Viator (we have never used them so do not know anything about them - sound decent though):-

http://www.viator.com/tours/Quebec-City/Half-Day-Trip-to-Montmorency-Falls-and-Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre-from-Quebec/d626-3455T2

We had a really good day at the falls by bus and spent ages there, my port review is pending publication, but I could copy and paste it here if you are interested as I put a lot of detail in it.

Edited by tring

I do not understand your explanation of what you decided, but we visited the falls by bus a couple of months ago and people who went on ship's trip did not see much of them and were not happy. Car sounds a very good option considering you are Canadian - we did not want to drive on the 'wrong ' side of the road.

Another option I had picked up before our cruise was this from Viator (we have never used them so do not know anything about them - sound decent though):-

http://www.viator.com/tours/Quebec-City/Half-Day-Trip-to-Montmorency-Falls-and-Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre-from-Quebec/d626-3455T2

We had a really good day at the falls by bus and spent ages there, my port review is pending publication, but I could copy and paste it here if you are interested as I put a lot of detail in it.

Hi. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm not Canadian. I am American who lives in New Jersey. Not sure renting a car is an option for us but something to consider anyway.

Originally I booked excursion on the departure day from the ship's excursions to go to the Falls, drive around the area a little and then get taken to the airport.

Then, for our one full day in Quebec City, I looked into going to Sainte Anne de Beaupre via taxi and learned it was very expensive, so scrapped that idea. So, wanting to go to the church, I looked into tours and booked one via the ship that went to the falls in addition to the church (over an hour in the church which I liked). Since the one excursion goes to falls and church, I decided to scrap the day of leaving tour to the falls and airport as listed above.

The taxi fare to airport is not too bad so that's how we will get to the airport from the ship.

Besides a car rental, I don't know of any other method of getting to the church other than ship's excursion or the one with viator, which doesn't give much time in the church. (Thank's for that link, however. I need to go back and see what else they offer)

What kind of bus did you take to the falls? And, I wonder how far (taxi?) it is to the church from the falls. My understanding is that there is no bus that goes to the church.

Another problem I have is that I want to walk around the Old Town (upper town?) on that one full day we have in Quebec City and if we spend too much time at the falls on our own and then to the church, we won't be able to do that. However, just realized that there's no rush to get back to the ship because it's an overnight in Quebec City. Just depends on how tired these old legs get.

This is my very detailed port review of Quebec city. I posted it a couple of days ago, so will hopefully be published within the week or soon after:-

Quebec

We had two full days here so decided we would go to Montmorency Falls the first day. We looked at trips, but decided against them as they seemed to spend very little time at the falls. We knew we could get a public bus there and got some good advice from a tourist information advisor at the port. She suggested walking along the riverfront to the bus stop for the number 800 bus in the direction of Beauport. The bus stop was near the train station and luckily she had marked it on a map. We went into the farmers market on the way to the station. The train station itself was an old, very ornate building which was worth seeing in itself. We decided it would be easier to get a two day pass for the local buses, (approx. $13 each), and we were able to buy them in a convenience store in the train station. The store was not easy to find.

We enjoyed the 20 minute or so ride to the falls, which are very near to the bus terminus. There was a footbridge over the top of the falls giving good views. We crossed the bridge and followed the path a short way along to a large flight of stairs down the cliff. We went down the stairs to the bottom and were then able to walk towards the tourist building at the bottom of the cable car. We bought a drink and a snack before getting the cable car back up to the top of the cliff, near to the Chateau (which is a short walk from the top of the falls). I think the cable car was about $10 single and $11 for a return. We could have got the return from near to the chateau and skipped the long flight of stairs, but are glad we did use the stairs as it gave more views of the falls and the walk was enjoyable. The chateau had a small display area and pleasant gardens. People who went on organised trips to the falls were very disappointed as they had very little time by the falls and could only see them from above.

On our return to Quebec we found that we could use our bus passes to get the bus back to the port, (it is bus number 1 and does a circular route around Quebec city). From the port you need to get the bus going to the right to go into the city. We used the bus that evening to go up to Grande Allee where there are a lot of bars and restaurants which are popular with the locals. We enjoyed walking through the city down to the port that night. The next day we went into the city a couple of times using our bus passes on the number 1 bus for some journeys. Without the passes the bus costs $2 per journey.

We found the centre of Quebec to be rather touristy. We had a soup and a beer in Chateuau Frontenac. The main hallway of the building was worth seeing, but the bar could have been anywhere in the world, so nothing special. The area down by the port was the best area from our point of view as it was quieter. We made the mistake of walking up the wooden stairs from near Chateau Frontenac thinking we could get up to the Fort. We walked, and walked……… and ended up to the far side of the Fort and unable to access it from there! We gave up.

Quebec City was nice, but the falls were more impressive from our point of view. I think we felt that way because the city was very European in style but impressive water falls like that are not something that we see in Europe.

I do not seem to have said that it was a good 20 minute walk to the station from the port - you could get the local city circular bus, but may find it difficult knowing where you get off. I looked on Google Earth at

the falls, church etc before we went and I think the church was a lot further than the falls and well out of the city. Worth a peak at google earth perhaps.

I think there is a Basilica and other impressive churches in Quebec if there is not something very particular you want to see in the church you mention. We were somewhat over churched and museumed by the time we reached Quebec, so decided neither of those were going to be on our itinerary for Quebec.

Doing the outlying areas and the city in one day would be a bit of an ordeal IMO.

Cheers,

Another Barbara from the UK

Edited by tring

renting a car is an easy and less expensive option. It was mentioned in Tom's Port Guide. If you love Europe or more especially, if you have never been to Europe, you will want time in Quebec City. It may be worth taking a tour or researching a self guided walking tour. Quebec is very old (founded in 1608) and there are some places still standing from hundreds of years ago.

https://toursvieuxquebec.com/en/home

http://quebeccity101.com/

Thank you for so much information. Much to digest.

We have been to Europe and I love walking along the cobbled and narrow streets and seeing the older architecture.

yes, my 'name' on CC is "BarbaraNJ" but my name is really Marilyn. I'd like to change the CC name but don't know how.

I agree - too much to do in one day - going outside of Quebec City as well as the old town but, if we take the ship's excursion we can see the falls and Sainte Anne's and be back to town by 1 PM. Yes, too short at the falls etc., but at least it's something. it still gives us time for a few hours in the City especially since we have an overnight in QuebecCity. I made mistake of not booking a night in Quebec for our disembarkation day but the airfare is already paid for etc. so 'it is what it is' and perhaps some day we can come back.

But, I will find out if my husband wants to rent a car and go from there...

OK...I just rented a car from Enterprise. I was told to call the office about 15 minutes before I wanted to be picked up from the pier and someone would come and get us. All done! Finally, decisions made! I looked online with help from google maps and from the Enterprise office it's about a 20 minute walk to Hotel Frontenac.

now I only have to hope that our GPS doesn't get us lost!

Again, thanks for all comments, suggestions and ideas. Another port I can check off as decisions made. (for now)

OK...I just rented a car from Enterprise. I was told to call the office about 15 minutes before I wanted to be picked up from the pier and someone would come and get us. All done! Finally, decisions made! I looked online with help from google maps and from the Enterprise office it's about a 20 minute walk to Hotel Frontenac.

now I only have to hope that our GPS doesn't get us lost!

Again, thanks for all comments, suggestions and ideas. Another port I can check off as decisions made. (for now)

Good choice! :)

Good news. It would help others if you could come back here with some feedback on how things went.

Will do. However, we are not going to be there until Oct. 20-21. I'll still post somewhere my experiences with all the research and ports - cabs/HOHO/bus/car rentals etc.

without the help of this site as well as trip advisor and the internet, I'd be lost!

We'd like to visit the basilica of Sainte Anne de Beaupre. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get a taxi from the pier? And, if it's easy to get a cab back to the pier or to the Old Town from the church? I went to google maps and it's about a half hour from the pier. However, directions from the church's website indicated a taxi to a bus.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

We were in Quebec city on an overnight in November of last year. We booked a private tour with Voir Quebec at http://www.toursvoirquebec.com for our second day. Our tour guide was Jocelyn.

There were 8 of us, (I recruited a number from our roll call to join us.). When you go to the website for this company, it looks like you cannot do it all in one day, so I contacted them regarding a private tour so we could. They arranged to pick us up at the ship, and we went to Montmorency falls, the shrine Saint-Anne-de-Beaupre and Orleans Island. Once we did those 3 things, we went back to the old city and had a walking tour of the upper and lower town. We started at 9:00 am and were back to the ship before 4:00 pm. To do it all, we decided to have a quick lunch at a nice 'local's restaurant in the upper city when we returned to Quebec City, which our guide had the bus driver drop us off at. 'Paillard' is a local eatery that had great sandwiches and soup and French pastries.

I would recommend contacting this company to see if there is something on the website that works for you or to arrange a private tour. We each paid $104 CDN times 8 people for our private tour.

Edited by searaider

Voir Quebec has a combination tour Old Quebec and Country that starts at 10am with a 2 hour walking tour of Old Quebec. Then at 1pm there is a 4.5 hour bus tour to Montmorency Falls and Ste Anne de Beaupre. We booked this and they are letting us do the tours on separate days. Cost is very reasonable.