Peso's rather than dollars?

lucywestie

Going on our first cruise that hits some of the Mexican ports and I'm wondering if I need to take Mexican Peso rather than U.S. dollars? (Cozumel, Puerto Costa Maya)

I was in Acapulco many many years ago but obviously being a land based holiday that was a different scenario.

Many thanks

Dollars are widely accepted everywhere I have been on Cozumel; even the taxi rate board list prices in dollars and most of the menus do the same. If you have pesos use them, but there is no reason to change your dollars into Pesos. Be sure to bring lots of smaller denomination bills - cab drivers all over the world never seem to have any change when you pull out a $20 :(

US dollars are accepted everywhere we have been in port in Mexico. Although we have found that withdrawing pesos at an atm has given us a more favorable exchange rate. On visits to Cozumel and Costa Maya, restraurants and bars were converting prices by 10 or 12 pesos to the dollar. When in reality a dollar was worth over 17 pesos when we went to the atm and withdrew money.

We definitely saved a few bucks by withdrawing local currency, but it is debatable if it is worth the trouble of finding an ATM and withdrawing only enough for the day so that you aren't left with extra pesos. I think most people just use dollars and get a less than favorable exchange rate from some restaurants and bars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I visited Tulum in March 2017 and noticed that in the shops and bar area where the buses and taxis drop off, there were two currency exchange booths. They advertised exchanging USD, CAD, Euros, British Pounds into Mexican Pesos. So maybe Mexico wanted people to get pesos and only use pesos at the shops. I did not go into any shops, so I do not know if they took USD or whether they only accepted pesos.

If anyone has been to Tulum in March or since then, maybe they would know what currencies the shops there accept.

Earlier this year, Dzibanche (at Costa Maya) and the tour guide, quoted 1 USD as 15 pesos. Then in March (Cozumel), places were listing 1 USD at 19 pesos. 10-12 seems extremely low.

Normally, USD are accepted at all tourist places.

I visited Tulum in March 2017 and noticed that in the shops and bar area where the buses and taxis drop off, there were two currency exchange booths. They advertised exchanging USD, CAD, Euros, British Pounds into Mexican Pesos. So maybe Mexico wanted people to get pesos and only use pesos at the shops. I did not go into any shops, so I do not know if they took USD or whether they only accepted pesos.

If anyone has been to Tulum in March or since then, maybe they would know what currencies the shops there accept.

Earlier this year, Dzibanche (at Costa Maya) and the tour guide, quoted 1 USD as 15 pesos. Then in March (Cozumel), places were listing 1 USD at 19 pesos. 10-12 seems extremely low.

Normally, USD are accepted at all tourist places.

My example was a couple of years ago.... it changes obviously as the market changes. The long and short of it is, many short you a good 25 percent on the exchange rate, including those exchange booths in most cases. Right now one dollar should buy you 17.45 pesos. You will not get that at most places willing to accept us dollars.

Of course 25 bucks out of the $100 you spend at a beach bar and a cab may not be worth the trouble of finding a bank atm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app