Military Tattoo In Edinburgh

We will be doing the British Isles cruise next year and plan on doing the Military Tattoo while we are there. We will be on the Caribbean Princess and I know the ship will have an excursion there. Has anyone ever booked a private trip to the Tattoo and could you recommend the company you used? I am assuming we are going from Greenock since we don't leave until 2:00am. The day we are in Edinburgh, we leave at 7:00PM.

You can purchase tickets to the Military Tattoo at the official website, link here:

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/

We were not on a cruise, but stayed in Edinburgh for a couple of days last summer, so we were able to walk to the castle from our hotel.

If I had been on a cruise, I would have just booked their excursion. I always choose private tours whenever possible, but in this case, I can't see any reason to do a private tour to the Tattoo.

It was a wonderful experience and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I agree with bobalink that an excursion is the better idea. The port is some way from Edinburgh, and I can't see that a private transfer would be beneficial. You'd also have to get tickets for the specific day from the tattoo office and that isn't always too easy. The ship will have a block booking so if you book early enough you'll be guaranteed a ticket and also if there were any delays leaving Edinburgh or on the 2 hour journey back to Greenock the ship would wait for the tour bus.

We are fortunate to overnight in Edinburgh next August and even more fortunate that a roll call member has organized bus transportation to Edinburgh mid-afternoon and return from the Tattoo!

Are there seating sections to be avoided or preferred? What about some of the 'deluxe' packages offered thru the Tattoo?

The seating that I recall from our visit to Edinburgh in July '04 appeared to be bleachers, is that current?

Thanks for your help!

On the times we've been we've had a fantastic view from wherever we've been sitting. The seats are tiered and go up quite high so you need a head fro heights but if you are high up you really see the formations of the marching etc at its best. The most expensive seats are facing the castle and I guess because they may offer the best view but we've never sat there and always seen everything that's going on.

• 2 weeks later...
On the times we've been we've had a fantastic view from wherever we've been sitting. The seats are tiered and go up quite high so you need a head fro heights but if you are high up you really see the formations of the marching etc at its best. The most expensive seats are facing the castle and I guess because they may offer the best view but we've never sat there and always seen everything that's going on.

We attended the event this past August and we were in those so-called "best seats" which are at least partially under cover. It was not only cold that night but also rainy so make certain you have clothing that keeps you both warm and dry.

I do not think there really are any truly "bad" seats in terms of viewing the whole thing.

I would definitely go with an organized tour operator. We walked to the venue from our hotel and getting in once the gates opened was a mob scene. You are going to do a certain amount of walking even if you do take a tour because those coaches can only park so close. You do not want to be worried about transportation so spend the money because it will be worth it.

We attended the event this past August and we were in those so-called "best seats" which are at least partially under cover. It was not only cold that night but also rainy so make certain you have clothing that keeps you both warm and dry.

I agree that you need to be dressed appropriately. We've been there when it's been a balmy August evening but also when it rained steadily throughout the first half! We took a waterproof sheet to put over our laps that time and it was a Godsend!

Edited by tartanexile81