Traveling with 2yr old on carnival pride April 2017

lildolphin08

Hi, we will be traveling with a two year old on carnival pride and also a seven year old. Was wondering if anyone cruise with little ones specially a two year old and what you would recommend to take also have you utilized camp carnival and how was your experience? Any shows u may have taken them to besides the adults ones that there not allowed in. Just looking for tip as this will be our first cruise with the kids. Would also like input on getting them passports, we have ours but they don't yet. Thanks so much!

Any show not specifically billed as "adult" is fine...most kids love the costumes and lights! The late night shows probably are not suitable for young kids under 13 or so... the comedy club is not usually suitable for little ones.

Your kids will love the camp! Especially, the 7 year old...perfect age! 2 year olds are tricky...some are more "clingy" than others, so give it a go, but be prepared for them not to want to stay without you! That generally passes around 3 years!

They don't need passports for a "closed loop" trip..their BC will work just fine.

Make sure you bring pediatric meds...anything you might need...fever/pain meds, nose drops, allergy stuff, etc.....the ship doesn't sell stuff for kids!

Edited by cb at sea

we cruised last yr with our son who just turned 3 and our 18 month old daughter. we're sailing again on the pride in a few weeks with our son who will almost be 4 and daughter just turned 2 a few months ago. we haven't tried camp carnival yet, but will be giving it a go this time around. not really sure how it will go because our daughter is clingy, but son is easy going. we shall see lol.

the pride does have a great lil waterworks area for the younger kids. our kids had a blast playing in there last year and i'm sure this time around will be the same.

not sure if you've thought about sleeping arrangements or where the 2 yr old will sleep, but we purchased an inflatable bed rail to put on the sofa bed for our son and it worked out great. we also brought a folding potty seat that fits right over the regular toilet seat and a step stool for the bathroom. not sure if you're potty training yet or not but it came in handy!

some tips would be grab boxes of cereal and bananas from the buffet in the morning to carry around with you for quick handy snacks. we also ordered pb&j sandwiches from room service and brought some baggies so we could put the sandwiches in and bring them ashore with us. works out great if you have picky eaters and to have something quick to give them to avoid meltdowns lol

bring extra sippy cups just in case any get lost. we also brought a lot of wet ones disinfecting wipes so we could wipe down everything in our cabin, and to wipe down tables and highchairs during meals.

we brought any meds they might need (motrin, vitamins, cough stuff just in case, etc) tons of sunscreen, white noise machine, and their own blankies/stuffed animals from home.

if you have any other questions i'd be happy to try and answer them :)

Where did you purchase your inflatable bed rail I wouldn't have though of that. Also if u could let me know how camp carnival is that would be great for the two yr old. I defiantly will stop up on the wipes I was thinking that too. I'm gonna start potty training her she will be two at the time of sailing so we will see. Are you bringing a stroller? I thought about taking one that reclines and has a cover over the top to keep out some sun while walking around. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think i bought the bedrail from walmart.com. we brought a double stroller on the last cruise, but will probably opt for just the umbrella stroller this time. A lot of people recommend a reclining umbrella stroller so they can try to nap in it while you are walking around doing things.

I'll report back on camp carnival and how it all went and their activities! :)

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I agree on packing any meds they might need and extra sippy cups. I also always pack lots of extra diapers, wipes, and some disposable changing pads that I can use to change them as needed (if potty training is going well adjust this list as needed :-).

Another thing I do is buy/bring a bunch of small toys that I can dole out at dinner (we do the MDRs and our kids usually join us, so having something to keep them entertained if the food is taking a while is nice). I also order them appetizers right away at dinner so they don't have to wait too long (or there's always bread).

We haven't done Camp Carnival yet, so I'm anxious to see how it is for 2YOs. Like the PP we have a 2YO and a 4YO and I'm glad they will be in the same group. Our 4YO has fond memories of Adventure Ocean on Royal and is VERY excited for the kids club, and of course the 2YO is into whatever the 4YO is doing, so I'm cautiously optimistic :-)

The pools/splash zones are usually for potty-trained kids only. If your little one is still in diapers I would either avoid the pool with them or get one of those duck tubs/a small blow up pool you can use. We used one on our balcony when my older daughter was about 1, but mostly we get our swimming in on beach days.

Consider sleeping arrangements too. Our 2YO is still in a crib at home, but I think we'll put her in the bed with a bed rail on the cruise. Pack and plays take up a LOT of space in the cabin and with 4 of us in there, we're going to avoid the pack and play if we can (fingers crossed!)

some tips would be grab boxes of cereal and bananas from the buffet in the morning to carry around with you for quick handy snacks. we also ordered pb&j sandwiches from room service and brought some baggies so we could put the sandwiches in and bring them ashore with us. works out great if you have picky eaters and to have something quick to give them to avoid meltdowns lol

Please don't ever take any food off the ship other than PREPACKAGED items (cereal boxes are OK). Other items, and especially fruit, are forbidden by most countries. You can find yourself with quite a fine if caught (and those cute dogs that hang around the ports aren't just being cute).

I think i bought the bedrail from walmart.com. we brought a double stroller on the last cruise, but will probably opt for just the umbrella stroller this time. A lot of people recommend a reclining umbrella stroller so they can try to nap in it while you are walking around doing things.

I'll report back on camp carnival and how it all went and their activities! :)

Thanks I can't wait to hear how your trip went and detail and if u find any other tips. I found the bed rail as well on Walmart website thanks for that tip. Thanks again

Thanks I can't wait to hear how your trip went and detail and if u find any other tips. I found the bed rail as well on Walmart website thanks for that tip. Thanks again

No problem! I will probably do a review on the Carnival board when we return. If not, I'll come back here and post my thoughts and how things went :)

we cruised last yr with our son who just turned 3 and our 18 month old daughter. we're sailing again on the pride in a few weeks with our son who will almost be 4 and daughter just turned 2 a few months ago. we haven't tried camp carnival yet, but will be giving it a go this time around. not really sure how it will go because our daughter is clingy, but son is easy going. we shall see lol.

the pride does have a great lil waterworks area for the younger kids. our kids had a blast playing in there last year and i'm sure this time around will be the same.

not sure if you've thought about sleeping arrangements or where the 2 yr old will sleep, but we purchased an inflatable bed rail to put on the sofa bed for our son and it worked out great. we also brought a folding potty seat that fits right over the regular toilet seat and a step stool for the bathroom. not sure if you're potty training yet or not but it came in handy!

bring extra sippy cups just in case any get lost. we also brought a lot of wet ones disinfecting wipes so we could wipe down everything in our cabin, and to wipe down tables and highchairs during meals.

we brought any meds they might need (motrin, vitamins, cough stuff just in case, etc) tons of sunscreen, white noise machine, and their own blankies/stuffed animals from home.

if you have any other questions i'd be happy to try and answer them :)

Some misinformation - the water areas are for potty trained kids

· Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services. Toilet trained children should be taken on frequent bathroom breaks. Note: This includes the Kiddies Pools.

And, no taking non-pre packed food off of the ship.

Some misinformation - the water areas are for potty trained kids

· Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services. Toilet trained children should be taken on frequent bathroom breaks. Note: This includes the Kiddies Pools.

And, no taking non-pre packed food off of the ship.

I never said non potty trained children were allowed in there.

• 3 weeks later...

We didn't use the Camp for our 3 year old. She goes to daycare and I thought it was too much like that. I wanted her vacation to be a vacation too, so she got to hang out with us the whole time. We are lucky enough to travel with 3 adults so there is always a spare person to take her if 2 of us want to go do something "Adult" without the kid.

We let her pack her own backpack full of toys. She was only allowed to bring what could fit in her back pack. A small pile of Duplo, some Fisher Price Little People and a couple stuffies is what she packed. I packed a few extra Little People to give her during the trip just to keep her toys refreshed.

I also packed some mini packages of M & M's (think Halloween size) as bribes. Frankly I only used 4 - mostly in the airport and 1 on an excursion.

I brought a colouring book and some markers. She promptly lost the book in the MDR inside the bench on the very first night. I don't know how but it slipped down the side between the wall and INTO the bench. Thank-goodness it was a dollar store purchase.

The next day we went to the camp and did the "Build a Bear" activity and made her a stuffed monkey. While we were there we got a new colouring book from the camp. It was great and had stickers, which are her favorite. So I definitely recommend at least visiting the camp to see if they'll give you a colouring book.

We also brought along bubbles which we used on the balcony several times. She loved watching them go flying away.

We brought along the Bed Rail from home to use on the bed. We have one that folds flat so it was very useful. DD is accustomed to co-sleeping so we only needed the 1 for the side she slept on.

We also brought bed pads to protect the mattress in case her diaper leaked. It never did but since it has on occasion at home I thought it was best to have something just in case. (We got a big bag of them from the pharmacy and now I'll have what's left for every trip for the rest of time!)

We use a white noise machine at home, and we took this also. Depending on where your room is you might hear lots of bumps, other doors, people walking passed. Better to have the white noise to buffer all the strange noises than have your little one waking up all night.

We flew in from Canada so we had to have a passport for our daughter to fly, so I don't have any advice for US Citizen on what you'll need.

We brought a sippy cup for our daughter and some dish soap to clean it. We used it a fair bit. Our DD isn't as neat with not spilling drinks as I would like so it was a safety measure really. She used cups and straws in the MDR.

If you are doing family formal pictures try and make sure your little has eaten first. Somehow I didn't and our formal picture features a particularly grumpy 3 year old. (I'll know better next time!)

Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2 year old loved the pride!!! The ship had so much for her and we didn't even use camp carnival. Dr Seuss parade, towel animal invasion, towel animal demo and show, the card room has games she played with- I could go on