Anyone cruise with A-Fib?

firstcruiserDB

I posted this on the Disability board, but I realized this might be a better place for my question. Hopefully, someone here can help ease my mind!

I have done tons of searching on CC, and have not been able to find anything posted recently about cruising with a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation (a-fib).

I'm looking for anyone with experiences of how the medical facilities can or cannot handle this situation on the ship. (Controlled A-fib is not dangerous, but it does take some expertise to get the heart rate controlled and regular again when an episode happens. The rapid heartrate can be regulated with medication, but in extreme cases, it takes a cardioversion to get it under control.)

I've had A-fib now for a few years, and I've cruised three times since my diagnosis. It is a bit nerve-wracking because you never know when an episode will happen even while controlled with medication. I would feel better if I knew it was a condition that is handled by the doctors on board.

Thanks for any info you can offer!

You really need an answer that can not be gotten on CC. How about going directly to your cruise line of choice and asking them.

We found the doctors on Oceania had very good emergency training which we did need twice on different cruises. One of our doctors was trained right here in Philadelphia in a top hospital. But I would still ask if I knew I would need specific

Care from the doctors.

Cruise medical staff are recruited from the best emergency departments, ICUs and shock trauma units.

I had a friend with 24 years med/surg experience who interviewed and was not offered a job because of her lack of ED or ICU experience.

I think the care you would need including cardioversion are well within the scope of experience of the ship's staff.

That said, I would talk to your cardiologist to see if there were any specific recommendations he may have. You should also be aware of your stressors that trigger episodes for you - such as, alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, not getting enough rest, etc.

But my gut instinct is cruising is at least as safe and probably safer, than a trip to the mall (where they don't have highly qualified medical staff readily available)

Thanks so much for your responses! I appreciate it a lot!

herbanrenewal, your post sure made me feel better today! You are right, and my cardiologist agrees, that a cruise ship is probably the safest mode of travel for me!

And.....CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming retirement! How exciting! Two more years and counting for me!

Thanks, again!

I would say check with your doctor and the cruise line like others have said. Plus check you triggers.

My husband has seizures which are not always controlled by meds. They are mostly Todd's (there are all different kinds of seizures) which means he loses control of his hand, leg or speech. It mostly happens when he gets dehydrated. Cruising is great for us because we can always go back to the room to rest and there are always things to drink. We keep our excursions to about 4 hours and try not to overdo. There is always a doctor onboard but we have never used them.

I have seen people with major problems on ships. One man was in a wheelchair that he controlled by breathing into a tube. He was everywhere on the ship and many times by himself.

Had major heart surgery 4 years ago including a new valve.Still have short bouts of a- fib Got Doctors clearance to go. on a 26 day cruise.. Will take my meds, Hopefully no problems. Gotta enjoy life while here. Everyday is a birthday.

Just be sure your insurance covers everything including getting you home in case of an emergency.

I have 3 and a half blocked arteries and a stent in the other. My husband has a pacemaker and uses a scooter. We have 5 cruises booked. Life is short, so enjoy.

I agree that if your cardiologist says you are good to cruise, I'd take his advice.

Be sure to have out of country medical insurance and evacuation coverage, just in case.

A-fib is a very common condition particularly in an aging population. Be sure to take meds are prescribed and don't over stress/over tire yourself.

Edited by sail7seas

I am in "controlled" A-FIB. I had a heart attack in 1999. I first suffered from A-FIB several years ago and at that time, it was not something that I could deal with. My cardiologist performed cardioversion, which was successful. Everything was fine for the next few years. Two years ago, while on an Oceania trans Atlantic, I passed out and was diagnosed with A-FIB. I was looked after very well by the onboard medical team, and monitored constantly. The doctor, however, did recommend that I debark and return home from Barcelona, instead of waiting until we reached Rome. Concierge did a fantastic job of the arrangements, and my insurance coverage reimbursed me for the onboard medical costs ($3600.00) My cancellation insurance reimbursed me for the out of pocket, unused cruise expenses ($8000.00)

I live with controlled A-Fib, but it doesn't stop me enjoying travelling or life in general. Just another "old age" ailment to medicate!!

I can only attest to what I was told when I asked prior to our last cruise. My cardiologist had dealt with RCI in the past and assured me they could handle anything that arose.

I was diagnosed in 2007. I had two cardioversions performed about 6 months apart and was back A-Fib within a couple of days. They tried two traditional ablations on me over the next two years and they really did not help. In fact I complained so much about actually feeling worse they gave me a monitor to wear...the plan was for a week. After two days I was called into the office and three days later had an ICD implanted. In addition to A-Fib I was having periods of V-Tach. Fast forward to 2011...I change cardiologist and they tried a Convergent Ablation. It helped a little. I actually got to the point where I could walk around enough to shop for groceries without needing to take a break. When my EF got to the point that it was getting dangerously low they performed an AV Node Ablation and I am now dependent on the pacemaker. It has made a world of difference. I have energy. I am back to playing golf...I hit the gym for at least 90 minutes a day, five days a week. I have resumed officiating high school basketball. I just have to accept I will be taking a lot of meds for the rest of my life...even with the dramatic weight loss.

A-Fib can really change your world and needs to be taken seriously.

Trust what they are telling you and enjoy your cruise.