Pacific Jewel...drydock in 2015??

karmac

Just wondering if anyone knows if Pacific Jewel is going into drydock in Singapore in 2015?

The reason I ask is, cruise J520 leaves Fremantle on 10th May & arrives in Singapore on 24th May. Cruise J522 leaves Singaopre on 5th June to cruise back to Brisbane. I cannot see anything in regards to J521 but there is 12 days between cruises. If she was to be in drydock in that time, would they skip cruise number J521?? (I've never taken notice before if they skip numbers whilst in drydock).

Just wondering if anyone knows if Pacific Jewel is going into drydock in Singapore in 2015?

The reason I ask is, cruise J520 leaves Fremantle on 10th May & arrives in Singapore on 24th May. Cruise J522 leaves Singaopre on 5th June to cruise back to Brisbane. I cannot see anything in regards to J521 but there is 12 days between cruises. If she was to be in drydock in that time, would they skip cruise number J521?? (I've never taken notice before if they skip numbers whilst in drydock).

Hi there,

Just off Pacific Jewel yesterday. Dry dock is scheduled for July/August this year in Sydney. All staterooms will be re-furbished (and they need it!) plus changes to the Attic!

Hi there,

Just off Pacific Jewel yesterday. Dry dock is scheduled for July/August this year in Sydney. All staterooms will be re-furbished (and they need it!) plus changes to the Attic!

Thanks. Wonder what she's doing between 24th May and 5th June??? I'm seriously looking the the 5th June one but if the one before has a good itinerary I wouldn't mind doing B2B.

Thanks. Wonder what she's doing between 24th May and 5th June??? I'm seriously looking the the 5th June one but if the one before has a good itinerary I wouldn't mind doing B2B.

Charter cruise? Just a guess. Can't believe P&O would do another drydock, but who knows.

I like the ship and crew, but it does need some major work, especially to the cabins!

In my opinion, the Pacific Jewel is the worst ship cruising Australia. To many passengers with very few recreation areas and the show room seats are little more than a park bench. Very sad, that they push this crap onto Oz. On the other hand I quite liked the Pearl... It’s only my opinion ... relax.

K

Edited by Tigerman00

In my opinion, the Pacific Jewel is the worst ship cruising Australia. To many passengers with very few recreation areas and the show room seats are little more than a park bench. Very sad, that they push this crap onto Oz. On the other hand I quite liked the Pearl... It’s only my opinion ... relax.

K

Plus its 24 years old now.....and has had a hard life.... the Pearl is even older but seems to be in better shape.

Edited by Tigerman00

Going to Fiji because I'm on it:D. I noticed J319 has disappeared from the web page. Must be full.

Very sad, that they push this crap onto Oz

Good news then that Carnival has announced the deployment of Carnival Legend downunder. She is a twin to Spirit and will arrive in Sept 2014. The growth of Carnival downunder is a precursor to the end of the P&O brand here.

• 7 months later...

The reason I ask is, cruise J520 leaves Fremantle on 10th May & arrives in Singapore on 24th May. Cruise J522 leaves Singapore on 5th June to cruise back to Brisbane. I cannot see anything in regards to J521 but there is 12 days between cruises. If she was to be in drydock in that time, would they skip cruise number J521?? (I've never taken notice before if they skip numbers whilst in drydock).

I came across this post whilst looking for an answer to the same question you asked. Interested to know what is planned.:confused:

The Jewel is in dry dock again in Singapore June 2015. We are booked on J522 back to Brisbane when she comes out. I'm not sure what is being done while it is in dry dock.

Cheers,

Mark

The Jewel is in dry dock again in Singapore June 2015. We are booked on J522 back to Brisbane when she comes out. I'm not sure what is being done while it is in dry dock.

Cheers,

Mark

It is probably more a 'technical' drydock, Pacific Jewel was built in 1990, that makes her 25-years old in 2015. At 25-years of age, the ship is due for a 'special survey' as a requirement of the classification society, I would suggest that the work required is more easily done in Singapore than in Australia.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just to shed light on this she is going in for her 25 year inspection dry dock. Sadly nothing has been scheduled to be done to the public spaces beyond minor cosmetic upgrades. I would go as far as to suggest that this will also be her last dry dock with P&O. Generally speaking the 25 re certification inspection is the last one Carnival brands do before selling the vessel. Id also go even further and say that she won't be replaced and new tonnage will come instead for Carnival and Princess in this market.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Just to shed light on this she is going in for her 25 year inspection dry dock. Sadly nothing has been scheduled to be done to the public spaces beyond minor cosmetic upgrades. I would go as far as to suggest that this will also be her last dry dock with P&O. Generally speaking the 25 re certification inspection is the last one Carnival brands do before selling the vessel. Id also go even further and say that she won't be replaced and new tonnage will come instead for Carnival and Princess in this market.

I have a feeling you're correct...

Hi All,

Just to shed light on this she is going in for her 25 year inspection dry dock. Sadly nothing has been scheduled to be done to the public spaces beyond minor cosmetic upgrades. I would go as far as to suggest that this will also be her last dry dock with P&O. Generally speaking the 25 re certification inspection is the last one Carnival brands do before selling the vessel.

Hmmmm, It will be interesting to see what happens with her... :confused:

But the problem with that is the Pacific Dawn is also 25 years old (or will soon be) and the Pacific Pearl is also 25 years old (or will soon be, if not a bit older).

so I don't know if that idea, will be true in this case....

My 2 cents :)

This is an interesting topic. We all know that Pacific Pearl launched in 1987, and was 25 years old in 2012. Pacific Jewel was launched in 1990 and hence would be 25 years in 2015. Pacific Dawn will be 25 years in 2016. With Carnival (the parent company) there is two ship operating for Ibero Cruises currently that are over 25 years, namely Grand Celebration (formerly the Carnival lines Celebration built in 1987, and in November 2914 will be transferred to Costa and renamed Costa Celebration) and the Grand Holiday (also from Carnival fleet and was built in 1985). Both of these vessels were sisters to the Pacific Sun. And don't forget the QE2, which was 39 years when finally completed her service. It seems that Carnival (parent company) does not necessary follow the 25 years rule, however I think the final decision would come down to the vessel's mechanical and structure condition.

This is an interesting topic. We all know that Pacific Pearl launched in 1987, and was 25 years old in 2012. Pacific Jewel was launched in 1990 and hence would be 25 years in 2015. Pacific Dawn will be 25 years in 2016. With Carnival (the parent company) there is two ship operating for Ibero Cruises currently that are over 25 years, namely Grand Celebration (formerly the Carnival lines Celebration built in 1987, and in November 2914 will be transferred to Costa and renamed Costa Celebration) and the Grand Holiday (also from Carnival fleet and was built in 1985). Both of these vessels were sisters to the Pacific Sun. And don't forget the QE2, which was 39 years when finally completed her service. It seems that Carnival (parent company) does not necessary follow the 25 years rule, however I think the final decision would come down to the vessel's mechanical and structure condition.

I would say that Grand Celebration and Grand Holiday will quickly transfer out of the fleet too. Costa is at a dramatic shortfall in terms of capacity with what happened because of the Concordia and Allegra and the somewhat unexpected sale of Voyager. They will be stop gaps until new tonnage is added to Costa - potentially from the other S class ships of HAL not being transferred to P&O Aust or through transfer of the carnival new build options.

The S class ships while holding less passengers than Jewel/Dawn/Pearl are significantly more fuel efficient and subsequently a lot cheaper to run which pushes down the overall breakeven point and also reigns in excess capacity in the winter months causing increased pricing and higher margins for P&O. I'd say they will replace Dawn and Jewel with these ships rather than outright bringing in new capacity. The decision to bring the S class ships down here is one that has been made within 4 weeks as they were still finalizing the brochure 6 weeks ago and would of had time to include the new vessels!

Costa's fleet has been growing even since the Concordia and Allegra incidents. If we look at the ships that have left the fleet since 2010 we see the following vessels shown

Vessel Capacity Year

Costa Allegra 1072 2012

Costa Concordia 3800 2012

Costa Europe 1756 2010

Costa Marina 1005 2011

Costa Voyager 920 2013

Total Lost 8553

Since 2010 new ships added:

Vessel Capacity Year

Costa_Deliziosa 2826 2010

Costa_ Favolosa 3800 2011

Costa_Fascinosa 3780 2012

Costa_Diadema 4947 2014

Costa_Celebration 1896 2014

Total Capacity 17249

Therefore Costa's fleet has actually grown in capacity.

Taking this aside, Costa Diadema, which on Wikipedia does say that she is the replacement for Costa Concordia, actual capacity is greater than Costa Concordia and Costa Allegra added together. So Costa Celebration, I don't think is a stop fill ship, but just additional capacity.

Edited by woodscruise

Costa's fleet has been growing even since the Concordia and Allegra incidents. If we look at the ships that have left the fleet since 2010 we see the following vessels shown

Vessel Capacity Year

Costa Allegra 1072 2012

Costa Concordia 3800 2012

Costa Europe 1756 2010

Costa Marina 1005 2011

Costa Voyager 920 2013

Total Lost 8553

Since 2010 new ships added:

Vessel Capacity Year

Costa_Deliziosa 2826 2010

Costa_ Favolosa 3800 2011

Costa_Fascinosa 3780 2012

Costa_Diadema 4947 2014

Costa_Celebration 1896 2014

Total Capacity 17249

Therefore Costa's fleet has actually grown in capacity.

Taking this aside, Costa Diadema, which on Wikipedia does say that she is the replacement for Costa Concordia, actual capacity is greater than Costa Concordia and Costa Allegra added together. So Costa Celebration, I don't think is a stop fill ship, but just additional capacity.

Look at 2012 and beyond (Fascinosa doesnt count as she was due at the time of the concordia incident anyway) Diadema only adds 75 berths to the fleet which isnt growth. Celebration doesnt even add 5% to the overall growth of Costa by paseenger numbers. In any business that isn't considered growth let alone a industry that has been experiencing 30% growth as an average.

• 3 months later...

Just found out to what is happening to P&O Pacific Jewel in Singapore in June 2015 - it's going to have work done on the common areas, carpets, cabins, etc.....so that should be good for your cruisers out there.

• 1 month later...

Just adding to my last posting - here is a list of things that will apparently be done to P&O Pacific Jewel in Singapore - June 2015

* No Buffet - food bar instead called The Pantry with new food venues.

* Dragon Lady Restaurant (Asian fusion food)

* Angelo's (Italian)

* Open Kitchen

* Salt Grill Bar for cocktails at Salt Grill Restaurant.

* Improved pool deck

* New Floorshows.

Also a blue stripe will be added to the outside of the ship.

Just adding to my last posting - here is a list of things that will apparently be done to P&O Pacific Jewel in Singapore - June 2015

* No Buffet - food bar instead called The Pantry with new food venues.

* Dragon Lady Restaurant (Asian fusion food)

* Angelo's (Italian)

* Open Kitchen

* Salt Grill Bar for cocktails at Salt Grill Restaurant.

* Improved pool deck

* New Floorshows.

Also a blue stripe will be added to the outside of the ship.

Looking forward to experiencing these changes in June, as we are boarding her for the cruise back to Brisbane from Singapore.

The only thing I don't like the sound of is the blue stripe.... I've seen a photo shopped mockup of it, and it doesn't look that great.