Roatan Food

Just_Beachy22

We would like to enjoy the following items while touring Roatan on our Victor tour in January 2016:

Grilled Lobster Tail (on the beach? should we stick to the Magic here?)

Coconut Shrimp

Conch - soup..fritter..etc Mainly to say we've tried it!

The areas we will be visiting are the victor monkeys, iguanas, cameo factory and Mahogony Bay beach complex.

We will also be visiting Belize City and Cozumel if there is a better place to get these there.

Also, if there are other "local favorites" that these three ports are known for, please share your recommendations to add to our list. We have a little more freedom to explore in Roatan than the other ports.

the foods you are asking about are not "specialties" of any of those destinations.

You can get fantastic shrimp dishes at any beach bar in Cozumel.

I have had great conch fritters in Florida, Caymans, and Bahamas. Never seen them on a menu at the destinations you ask about.

Lobster... stick to the ship. It is going to be very expensive if you find it.

Conch fritters at Wet Lizard on the Belize City tender pier are good. Also available at Bird's Isle there, just across the swing bridge. Conch availability may be seasonal in Belize. The season usually runs between October and June the following Year.

Just tell Victor what you'd like to try or have the driver take you to a non-resort restaurant that serves local specialties. All the drivers have a couple of places they frequent ran by locals or relatives.

In Roatan, you want to look for "tapao soup", a seafood soup that varies by what's in season. Any lobster they may have is the small spiny Caribbean lobster, not the larger Maine Lobsters, plus you can't buy lobster between March and July in Roatan. conch may or may not be available as well, due to it's scarity from over harvesting. Also look for an empanda type dish called a "beleada". These can be filled with a variety of different meat or seafood fillings. Some places have a ceviche made with conch. And look for the little honey donuts called "rosquillas" for dessert.

I had a nice man doing work at my house today (from Honduras).

He also highly recommended baleadas or baliadas.

Tortilla filled with beans, scrambled eggs, cheese and sour cream.

Sounds pretty good to me!

Edited by Muushka

Anafres (refried beans with cheese) served in a clay pot used to be popular at Maya key (when it was Fins and Flippers before it became just a cruise excursion) and you could choose from a menu.

I haven't heard it mentioned since, and I haven't seen it at the places I have visited, but maybe at an authentic local restaurant.

Anafres is often available at Cal's Temporary Cantina in the East End near First Bight. He also makes the best lobster scampi EVER! When we lived in Roatan we ate at Cal's at least once a week - the food is outstanding and it's where locals go to eat.

Anafres is often available at Cal's Temporary Cantina in the East End near First Bight. He also makes the best lobster scampi EVER! When we lived in Roatan we ate at Cal's at least once a week - the food is outstanding and it's where locals go to eat.

Good to know- Cal's has long been on my to do list!

Is it located on First Bight Road, the road before parrot Tree Plantation?

How long do you think it would take to get there from Frenchy's if we had a driver for the day and just do beach access to LFK?

Cal's is located on the main road. Head East and drive past the turn off to PTP (Parrot Tree Plantation). Follow the main road about another mile or so and Cal's will be on the right side of the road. Your driver should be able to do the drive in about 20 minutes as long as there are no cows or horses strolling along the road and tying up traffic!

conch fritters are delish at the Wet Lizard in Belize. Get in there and order them early, they get packed and it can get very slow. Belize has great chicken and beans cooked in coconut milk, but I LOVE the cashew wine in Belize. Always bring a bottle or 2 home.

conch fritters are delish at the Wet Lizard in Belize. Get in there and order them early, they get packed and it can get very slow. Belize has great chicken and beans cooked in coconut milk, but I LOVE the cashew wine in Belize. Always bring a bottle or 2 home.

don't disagree on the conch fritters and there are good local places there besides WL that have good local food. Can't say as I agree about the cashew wine, though. Every time I've tasted it it's "Bleecckk! :eek:

However, you don't find the same foods in Roatan (this board's topic) that you find in Belize.

Edited by crewsweeper