Rivierra last night dinner

sircook007

Hi

we are on the Sept 7th cruise from Istanbul.

Can anyone tell me if there will be a special last night dinner in the main dining room.? I am trying to decide which nights to book the other specialty restaurants.

Thanks

Michael

In our experience, the night BEFORE the last is the "special" dinner - the last night is lower key so folks can finish packing, head to bed early in advance of early departures, etc. Even at that, there is none of that flaming baked Alaska parade ritual and such - just a bit nicer menu and also (I believe) the crew show.

Hope this helps,

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have not noticed any special dinner in years on the last night or even 2nd last night & we do eat in the GDR a lot

You can see a sample of what the menus might be at the Preismans webpage ...they do a good job with pictures included

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#gdr

Edited by LHT28

Have not noticed any special dinner in years on the last night or even 2nd last night & we do eat in the GDR a lot

You can see a sample of what the menus might be at the Preismans webpage ...they do a good job with pictures included

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#gdr

Well, "special" in that it seems in my memory that the night before last usually has had a lobster dish (not unique to that night or venue, but it just is that way in our experience) --- and a fancy beef dish -- like filet mignon, or Beef Wellington. which I guess is special. But then to us, every meal on O is special.

The final night - on our last two cruises, anyway -- has featured turkey and dressing as one choice, and Wiener Schnitzel as another -- and I have looked forward to that!

I am also speaking of the MDR, as that is our preferred dining venue in general, and we are the nice folks who do not use all our specialty dining privileges, making more space for the folks who are always panting after additional reservations.

Y'all are welcome! ;-)

Donna

Please note that I have repeatedly said IN OUR EXPERIENCE and I do not pretend to have a normative or definitive observation to offer. Thank you.

Well, "special" in that it seems in my memory that the night before last usually has had a lobster dish (not unique to that night or venue, but it just is that way in our experience) --- and a fancy beef dish -- like filet mignon, or Beef Wellington. which I guess is special. But then to us, every meal on O is special.

Y'all are welcome! ;-)

Donna

Please note that I have repeatedly said IN OUR EXPERIENCE and I do not pretend to have a normative or definitive observation to offer. Thank you.

OMG

no need to get your knickers in a knot

Some cruise lines on the last night have a big gala dinner so maybe the OP was thinking Oceania does also

Some only serve lobster on the last night where on O you can have it everyday someplace onboard

Every meal on O is special to me ( I am not cooking it)

In the early years you may remember Oceania did have a special dinner on Captain's night & the last night with sorbet served between the courses ..that no longer happens

Enjoy your day

Lyn

OMG

no need to get your knickers in a knot

Some cruise lines on the last night have a big gala dinner so maybe the OP was thinking Oceania does also

Some only serve lobster on the last night where on O you can have it everyday someplace onboard

Every meal on O is special to me ( I am not cooking it)

In the early years you may remember Oceania did have a special dinner on Captain's night & the last night with sorbet served between the courses ..that no longer happens

Enjoy your day

Lyn

Knickers not in a knot.

Donna

I'm with Lyn -- never noticed any night in the MDR being more special than any other night, primarily because in our experience, every night is more special than any night we've had on other cruise lines. Like Lyn and Donna, our preferred venue is the Grand Dining Room. There is never anything "special" about individual nights in the alternate restaurants; their menus never change.

When we can get a lobster tail and filet sandwich for lunch at the pool grill every day, and grilled lobster and filet at the buffet grill every evening, and steamed lobster every night somewhere on the ship...

Well, if Don and Lyn say it isn't special, I bow to their wider experience. I think I was associating the second to last night with festivities like the crew show, and I was thinking of the servers and staff wearing dress uniforms that night. But I am apparently unclear. My apologies to the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I sailed on Rivierra before her new owner was in picture. I do not know if that changed anything. What I do know is that we have sailed various lines including her sister Regent and Oceania is our favorite line hands down. Rivierra is our favorite ship. To us ,every night and day was special. :)

My husband and I sailed on Rivierra before her new owner was in picture. I do not know if that changed anything. What I do know is that we have sailed various lines including her sister Regent and Oceania is our favorite line hands down. Rivierra is our favorite ship. To us ,every night and day was special. :)

Not sure what you mean by "her new owner" -- she was constructed by Oceania and is still owned by Oceania. Perhaps you mean the acquisition of Prestige Cruise Holdings ny NCL Holding? I can assure you, the ship did not go into the NCL fleet, the CEO of NCL Holdings (Frank Del Rio) is the founder of Oceania and the "father" of Riviera, the Vice Chairman of Oceania (Bob Binder) is a founder of Oceania, and the President of Oceania (Jason Montague) has been with the company since the very beginning. Nothing has changed, except the entertainment will be provided by NCLH, which many will believe is an improvement.

There have been many synergistic blendings of back office departments since the acquisition, but for the most part, they have skewed towards Oceania and Regent policies. There have been significant changes aboard NCL ships, to the dismay of some "Old Guard" NCL cruisers.

Edited by hondorner

Don;

Appreciate your perspective, re: the acquisition. Our greatest fear was that O would be NCL'd. Sounds like the opposite is happening! Please share any other insights you might have on the future of our favorite cruise line.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, and in addition, is pure speculation. If Kevin Sheehan had remained as CEO NCL Holdings, I think we would be singing a different tune. In very short order he appointed a series of Vice Presidents, all with an NCL background, who were to be responsible for every aspect of all three cruise lines. That's where speculation ends...

Something happened -- it's never been made public exactly what -- and suddenly, with no warning, Sheehan was gone and FDR was totally in charge of the whole shebang. The Sheehan Vice Presidents quickly disappeared, The President of NCL recently hired by Sheehan was gone and a long time NCL guy, beloved by many at that cruise line, was suddenly President. Jason Montague, who had been CFO of Oceania, had been named by Sheehan to a position to manage the synergies between the cruise line; suddenly he was back at Oceania (and Regent) as President. The previous President of Oceania and Regent, Kumal Kamlani, who I personally believe had been hired to make the numbers look good for a potential Prestige IPO, was suddenly gone. Bob Binder, a co-founder of Oceania who had quietly slipped into the background after the acquisition, was suddenly back in the forefront as Vice Chairman of Oceania and Regent.

Meanwhile, at NCL, the executive blood was flowing in the streets, replaced with folks who bought into FDR's management style and policies. His policies were originally successful at Renaissance (he turned the company around enough to be sold, although the new owners named their own CEO and were bankrupt within four months. They were super successful at Oceania, with incredible growth and loyalty in just 10 years fro scratch. They were successful at Regent, even though there was initial resistance from the Regent "Old Guard".

Now, I firmly expect NCL to emerge with new vitality, even though there has been some pain from change. But, Oceania is Frank's baby, he's very much in charge, and I sincerely doubt he's going to let anything happen to Oceania unless it meets his standards as being a Good Thing. He's moved up, but he hasn't moved on, and all the original Oceania folks that help him achieve that success as still in place.

Edited by hondorner

Obviously, this is just my opinion, and in addition, is pure speculation. If Kevin Sheehan had remained as CEO NCL Holdings, I think we would be singing a different tune. In very short order he appointed a series of Vice Presidents, all with an NCL background, who were to be responsible for every aspect of all three cruise lines. That's where speculation ends...

Something happened -- it's never been made public exactly what -- and suddenly, with no warning, Sheehan was gone and FDR was totally in charge of the whole shebang. The Sheehan Vice Presidents quickly disappeared, The President of NCL recently hired by Sheehan was gone and a long time NCL guy, beloved by many at that cruise line, was suddenly President. Jason Montague, who had been CFO of Oceania, had been named by Sheehan to a position to manage the synergies between the cruise line; suddenly he was back at Oceania (and Regent) as President. The previous President of Oceania and Regent, Kumal Kamlani, who I personally believe had been hired to make the numbers look good for a potential Prestige IPO, was suddenly gone. Bob Binder, a co-founder of Oceania who had quietly slipped into the background after the acquisition, was suddenly back in the forefront as Vice Chairman of Oceania and Regent.

Meanwhile, at NCL, the executive blood was flowing in the streets, replaced with folks who bought into FDR's management style and policies. His policies were originally successful at Renaissance (he turned the company around enough to be sold, although the new owners named their own CEO and were bankrupt within four months. They were super successful at Oceania, with incredible growth and loyalty in just 10 years fro scratch. They were successful at Regent, even though there was initial resistance from the Regent "Old Guard".

Now, I firmly expect NCL to emerge with new vitality, even though there has been some pain from change. But, Oceania is Frank's baby, he's very much in charge, and I sincerely doubt he's going to let anything happen to Oceania unless it meets his standards as being a Good Thing. He's moved up, but he hasn't moved on, and all the original Oceania folks that help him achieve that success as still in place.

So helpful. I know this is all "just your opinion," but your opinion counts a great deal with me. Thanks for a reassuring post.

Donna

chiming in as another who has appreciated your insight on so many topics discussed on this board from dining to defibrillators! Could I tap your wealth of knowledge on yet another topic?

My husband and I are taking my sister, her twin boys (20), another son, 18 and the caboose, a daughter age 11 on NCL Dawn Boston to Bermuda. Although we are delighted to be sharing this experience together (their first cruise, our 31st) I'm a bit apprehensive. We started out cruising mass market to the Caribbean but have almost exclusively sailed with Azamara and Oceania for the past 10 years. After experiencing the small ship, fine dining (I'm a food freak) and the style of cruising on those lines I'm afraid I've become spoiled.

I saw in another thread about the merging of Oceania and NCL that you are Platinum with NCL. Please help talk me off the ledge and have an open mind about this adventure! It is all about attitude and I'm going into training but my research and reading about this one has got me a tad apprehensive.

We live in Boston. It's crazy convenient. The price is right. Timing is perfect too. Now if I can just go with it we'll be all set. Help!!

Nothing wrong with sailing with family on any cruise line. Our last family cruise, 9 of us with 3 grandkids, was on Carnival Triumph in the Western Caribbean. NCL is great for kids. If you are fortunate enough to get a caregory SJ suite on Dawn, it's fabulous. Bermuda is neat, the kids would like the cave, you can get all around the island with public transportation, don't miss the water taxis.

We're taking a November cruise on NCL Pearl, in a standard midship balcony, to the Panama Canal and back (into and out of the Canal). We've been through the canal before and will do it again next year; we've done the Western Caribbean more times than we can count. Why this time? Because we're going with friends from rural Maine, who have only cruised once and never to the Canal, who would never spend the money for a suite, and with whom we love to travel. It's all about introducing family or friends to the joy of cruising, and every cruise is a luxury compared to staying home.

Edited by hondorner