New Camera

dljones

This is probably not the right place for this but.....

So, we are going on Magic June 8th and would like to get a new camera (SLR) to take great photo's and video. I have no idea what to buy. My budget is about $500 give or take. Anyone want to chime in as to model I should consider?

I recently bought a Nikon D3200 w/ kit lens for about $350-reconditioned on Ebay (from BuyDig, I believe). I picked up a larger zoom lens from them as well a bit later for about $100. You can dig around Slickdeals.net and read past threads. They seem to sell that camera refurb'ed on Ebay quite a bit and it's a highly regarded entry level DSLR.

I just got a new camera that came in the mail today - it is a point and shoot Olympus VR-370 ....my other Olympus camera had a piece that came off from it the day I got back from my November cruise (so happy it didn't happen during the cruise)

So, we are going on Magic June 8th and would like to get a new camera (SLR) to take great photo's and video. I have no idea what to buy. My budget is about $500 give or take. Anyone want to chime in as to model I should consider?

My wife uses a Nikon D5100 with a Tamron 18-270 lens. Both are mid-range but you might be able to find them used or refurbished.

You might want to post your question on the Photography Board at the link below. The people there are very knowledgeable.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Happy Sailing!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I recently bought a Nikon D3200 w/ kit lens for about $350-reconditioned on Ebay (from BuyDig, I believe). I picked up a larger zoom lens from them as well a bit later for about $100. You can dig around Slickdeals.net and read past threads. They seem to sell that camera refurb'ed on Ebay quite a bit and it's a highly regarded entry level DSLR.

I second the Nikon choice for what its worth

have a great cruise

I would suggest looking at some of the buyer's guides over at DPreview.

For example, this ls the 'interchangeable lens camera' buyer's guide.

You may decide that you don't want a SLR after all. I use a super zoom camera [an elderly Panasonic / Leica FZ-50] and larger sensor compact [Panasonic / Leica LX7]. I also bring an external flash that works with either camera [Olympus FL36], connecting cord for off camera flash, a passive reflector, and the accessory electronic viewfinder for the LX7. [and at least one memory card per day]. This all weighs much less than my old 35mm SLR rig - and I am happy with the results.

You have lots of options, including super zooms [Panasonic FZ-200, Fuji XS-1], advanced compacts [Fuji X20, Canon G16], SLRs with 'kit' lenses from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony or 'EVIL' [Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens] cameras from Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Nikon, Samsung. [just checked Amazon, they show an Olympus camera with two lenses for about $400].

I know you mentioned a DSLR but such a open question like that makes me think you are not big into photography. In that case I would consider some of the nicer point and shoot cameras. They too can take incredible photos and videos and do it in a much smaller and lighter package.

A DSLR is rather large and heavy. You really have to "want" to take it along otherwise it may get left behind for being too big and annoying. A more compact camera might be something you're more likely to take along on all your shore excursions.

I would consider the Sony RX100. It's available for less than $500, is small enough to fit in a pocket and has a sensor as large as some mirrorless and almost as big as DSLR's and it comes with a fast f1.8 lens which is something you will not find in your budget on a DSLR.

I am looking for a camera udgrade from my Canon Powershot and looked at various DSLR.

Then I begun looking at Mirrorless cameras. Have not purchased one yet so I can not recommend any. They seem to be great for cruising. They are much smaller and lighter than DSLR so it will easily pack into my shoulderbag for excursions and to carry with you while on board the shipped.

I would recommend getting a Sony DSLR or SLT. Their entry level cameras are great and the fact that they can use older Minolta Maxxum or 3rd party A-mount lenses is a bonus. Some of the older Minolta glass is fantastic and could be had for a song.

I find my photos are better than my DW's P&S and our friend's Nikon super-zoom. The DSLR gave me the opportunity to see if I want to get into it as a hobby or just take vacation pics. It's been 3 years and I just use it for vacation pics but practising & testing lenses has become part of the enjoyable ritual leading up to the vacation.

Then I begun looking at Mirrorless cameras. Have not purchased one yet so I can not recommend any. They seem to be great for cruising. .

David Pierce has a article on his Sony NEX-7. Just click on his name to get to his website.

It was his critique that led me to purchase a NEX-7. (I also have the NEX-5N). It takes great pictures and more importantly, the size and weight makes a huge difference to my neck and shoulders!

I know you mentioned a DSLR but such a open question like that makes me think you are not big into photography. In that case I would consider some of the nicer point and shoot cameras. They too can take incredible photos and videos and do it in a much smaller and lighter package.

QUOTE]

Well, you to make a point for sure and I will check out your suggestion. We have a nice point and shoot camera and it takes OK pictures. I lugged around an old Pentax SLR I got as a gift in 1979 all over Europe and long into my college days and it took amazing pictures but it was heavy and everything was manual of course. No, I am not big into photography, I just want something nice this time around. :D

The Nikon mentioned earlier or the Canon T3i or T4i are all great choices for entry into the DSLR world. I'm partial to Canon, but both Nikon and Canon are very very good. Just realize that using an SLR is not going to magically make you take better pictures, you still have to know a little bit about exposure.

If you prefer something more portable, but still able to capture great photos then the Sony RX100 can't be beat. I have both a DSLR and the Sony and the Sony is what goes with me when I don't feel like carrying the SLR around.

Also, no matter what camera you choose I would check out the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a must read for anyone who wants to learn how to take better photos.

If you want video in a DSLR, $500 is an absolute no-go. You might find one that can shoot video, but you almost definitely can't find one that can continuously auto-focus while shooting video. It'll have horrible audio (the mic will be hidden behind a small hole in the case). You'll never be able to hold it still for long while zooming and focusing, nor can you see the screen well enough in bright sunlight to even think of manually focusing.

If you want video in a DSLR, $500 is an absolute no-go. You might find one that can shoot video, but you almost definitely can't find one that can continuously auto-focus while shooting video. It'll have horrible audio (the mic will be hidden behind a small hole in the case). You'll never be able to hold it still for long while zooming and focusing, nor can you see the screen well enough in bright sunlight to even think of manually focusing.

Most recent DSLRs record HD video and continuously AF. In, fact I think it'd be harder to find one that doesn't offer this. If you care about better audio, an external mic can be hooked up as well. Holding it still can be true for any camera/video camera not mounted on a tripod.

Most recent DSLRs record HD video and continuously AF. In, fact I think it'd be harder to find one that doesn't offer this. If you care about better audio, an external mic can be hooked up as well. Holding it still can be true for any camera/video camera not mounted on a tripod.

If I were in the market for a new entry level DSLR kit in the $500 range, I would seriously consider the Sony SLT-A58. Seems like they have packed in a ton of features that are missing in bodies from other manufacturers at this price point. I especially like the concept of having image stabilization built into the body, instead of on the lenses. Also, built in HDR and panorama modes are a bonus.

As far as I can tell, it also has video autofocus and an external mic jack too.

Just browsing through flickr, you can see some amazing photographs taken with the A58. Here is an example of one I was impressed with:

12504526843_9eec494d6c.jpg

Pinson des arbres_DSC0216_DxO (Explore) by jackez2010, on Flickr

Looks like this photographer used some sort of 400mm lens to take this shot, but the body certainly didn't hold him back. Looks like a prime example of why getting a cheap body and an expensive lens is better than an expensive body and cheap lens.

Let us know what you end up with! Good luck!

Edited by ikirumata

Most recent DSLRs record HD video and continuously AF. In, fact I think it'd be harder to find one that doesn't offer this.

The Canon 70D's "Dual Pixel AF" was advertised and reviewed as a major breakthrough in DSLR video AF, particularly its ability to continuously AF. That camera is well above the $500 price point without a lens. Everything prior from Canon had to rely on contrast detection, so if you asked it to refocus during video it would search the full focus range to see where it was happiest, causing a noticeable defocus every time. Maybe Nikon has had this technology completely licked across their entire product line and I'm just too dumb to know this, but I doubt it.

Holding it still can be true for any camera/video camera not mounted on a tripod.

Camcorders and P&S cameras with electrically-controlled zoom is much easier to hold still WHILE ZOOMING than a DSLR. Camcorders and P&S cameras with continuous AF are much easier to hold still DURING FOCUSING than a DSLR.

for just over your 500 price point costco has a killer deal on their website for a pentax k50. These cameras are completely weather proof and water resistant. They are super durable and deliver excellent quality. Their deal is a kit that comes with 18-55mm weather resistant lens and a 50-200 WR lens. As well as a 16gb card and bag.

A lot of people forget about pentax but in terms of quality and value for the money you cannot beat them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Also, no matter what camera you choose I would check out the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.QUOTE]

Oh, where my mind could go with that suggestion lol... but really, great suggestions all around. Now just a matter of finding one! Thanks to all. Lots of choices to consider.

dljones

Unfortunately $500 may not get you a good, new DSLR. There are kits in that range but may end up frustrating you because it didn't live up to expectations. The kit lenses are slow and IQ doesn't stack up against better quality glass.

A good point and shoot may be more enjoyable for you as a vacation camera and a better return on $ paid. Don't get me wrong. I love all my DSLR gear. It's that big hole in the ground where I pour my money but sometimes I envy the quick and light a good P&S affords.

I shoot raw exclusively and post-process in Lightroom so I take more time to set up the shot and more time color correcting after. I have many shots where I've caught the shadow of my wife with her "are you done yet?" hands on hips pose.

I too second Bryan Peterson's books. Highly recommended. I think I have all of them. His books actually teach usable information instead of showcasing the author's photos.

dljones

Unfortunately $500 may not get you a good, new DSLR. There are kits in that range but may end up frustrating you because it didn't live up to expectations. The kit lenses are slow and IQ doesn't stack up against better quality glass.

Kit lenses and entry level models have come a long way. Sure, they aren't as good as upgraded glass. But kit lenses are more than good enough for the vast majority of shooters. And in most lighting situations, if you aren't pixel peeping, a kit $200 lens will produce results that are indistinguishable from a $2000 lens.

Nikon D3200, Sony A58, Pentax K500, Canon T5 or t3i are all great cameras that you can get with good quality kit lenses for that price range.

And they will all outperform your typical P&S camera.

a kit $200 lens will produce results that are indistinguishable from a $2000 lens .

I kindly and respectfully disagree. For vacation happy snaps in bright sun...sure...a kit lens will do well. Those slower kit lenses will show you get what you pay for when out of the bright sun such as inside museums or restaurants.

I'm not saying do or do not buy. I'm passing on what I've learned so the OP can make an informed decision to best suit them.

But isn't that the joy of photography. If I'm lucky that someone likes one of my shots I have 1000 other bad ones I learned by.

So, just for the sake of argument, what would you all recommend in terms of a point and shoot camera? I do want to shoot videos with decent resolution and good sound quality (at least as good as it gets). Any suggestions?