Ncl cancels calls for roatan

vols_159

I can confirm that Victor Bodden is reputable.

I used his service and, while they ran out of air conditioned cars and at first tried to send me out in one of those, they quickly fixed the situation when I objected.

They hired an outside driver to take us in her air conditioned car, which I thought was very reputable since they did this at their own expense.

Compared to sleazy Vitalino Reyes in Belize, who tries to upcharge you or send you away when he's busy (even if you have a standing written reservation), this was a nice thing to see.

We are just off the jewel had a wonderful day there last week. There were many police present...had road blocks all over the island...we saw many armed police walking in many parts of the island. Our driver said they are very concerned and will continue to make the area as safe as possible. The jewel gave no explanation about what had happened....just a small paragraph in the daily about being safe and aware. Nothing was mentioned formally about the murder two weeks earlier.

We absolutely felt safe and the island was very beautiful. Our favorite! I would hire a driver through victor bod den on one of the others just to be safe if you are venturing out.

Thanks for reporting back. I'm happy to hear that it sounds like they have spiced up the security. We love Roatan and hope to return. :)

The only problem we had with Maya Key was that we were eaten up by noseeums.

I'm glad we didn't have that problem. In all of my cruises, and of all the ports we have been too (even multiple times), the only time we were ate up was back in 2011 at Costa Maya port and Maya Chan. I really believe it depends on the season and the weather before arriving on whether or not you "see" "um" hehe :D I made a funny.

Mitsugirly I am so impressed with your reviews and pictures well done!! Thinking of doing Chankanaab in Cozumel, did you pay on the gate or book via NCL?

Chankanaab on your own....every time. It's SO easy. Grab a cab and go. Plenty of cabs there and back.

Just was on the Jewel in December.

I did not see a safety issue in either Belize or Roatan, at least where I went.

In Belize we did a city tour (didn't stop anywhere) and then to Altun Ha. I never felt threatened.

In Roatan we went to West Bay Beach, which is FULL of tourists (way too many, in fact) and is your typical safe/touristy beach atmosphere. We also stopped at Bodden's monkey cages, and again, no issue with safety there.

If there's anything that can be scary in these areas, it's the road/driving conditions. That's what worried me the most, not anyone attacking us.

With that said, you need to be sensible and not bring anything out that will attract attention. That means no expensive watches, jewelry, purses, etc. Just look like your average midwestern tourist on a budget and you will be fine.

There are no alerts as neither port is that dangerous, but the skipping Roatan is new and was out of respect for the murdered crew member. It has nothing to do with safety: not at this stage anyway. it might very well in the future. BTW, you can look like the typical tourist from So California, Florida, or Ga for that matter. Just be careful and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to wear expensive jewelry in any port or carry an expensive purse.

We are just off the jewel had a wonderful day there last week. There were many police present...had road blocks all over the island...we saw many armed police walking in many parts of the island. Our driver said they are very concerned and will continue to make the area as safe as possible. The jewel gave no explanation about what had happened....just a small paragraph in the daily about being safe and aware. Nothing was mentioned formally about the murder two weeks earlier.

We absolutely felt safe and the island was very beautiful. Our favorite! I would hire a driver through victor bod den on one of the others just to be safe if you are venturing out.

Yes, we used Victor as well. We were very satisfied. He is one of the best. There are 2 or 3 great tourist companies in Roatan.

Does anyone know if NCL has canceled calls to Roatan going forward? I know some of the itineraries now stop at Banana Coast for 2015, but my 1/4/15 cruise on the Sun still shows a stop in Roatan.

But, on Facebook the NCL social media person said this in response to someone's concern about safety there:

"Based on the increased security presence around the island and the ongoing commitment by local authorities to address guest and crew needs, we resumed calls to Roatan last Tuesday with Norwegian Dawn and Thursday with Norwegian Jewel. However, as it is the end of the season, there is only one additional call to Roatan tomorrow. Following this, our ships will reposition to other destinations."

Will that include all NCL ships?

Does anyone know if NCL has canceled calls to Roatan going forward? I know some of the itineraries now stop at Banana Coast for 2015, but my 1/4/15 cruise on the Sun still shows a stop in Roatan.

But, on Facebook the NCL social media person said this in response to someone's concern about safety there:

"Based on the increased security presence around the island and the ongoing commitment by local authorities to address guest and crew needs, we resumed calls to Roatan last Tuesday with Norwegian Dawn and Thursday with Norwegian Jewel. However, as it is the end of the season, there is only one additional call to Roatan tomorrow. Following this, our ships will reposition to other destinations."

Will that include all NCL ships?

We have the Sun booked for November and it is supposed to go to Roatan too. I sure hope it does since some of the people on the cruise have already booked Little French Key and we plan on booking them too.

When they talk about repositioning, they are probably just talking about moving the ships around like they always do and the Sun will now be doing either the Dawn or Jewels route. :confused:

We have the Sun booked for November and it is supposed to go to Roatan too. I sure hope it does since some of the people on the cruise have already booked Little French Key and we plan on booking them too.

When they talk about repositioning, they are probably just talking about moving the ships around like they always do and the Sun will now be doing either the Dawn or Jewels route. :confused:

That makes sense...I was reading it as change ports rather than switch for the season. By the time they start going to Roatan again the negative press will have died down and people will probably forget about the incidents from this season.

• 3 weeks later...