Royal still have formal night?

Every type of vacation you decide to go on, sets the expectations on what to wear. Example, you take a week long vacation at the beach staying in Howard Johnson's and you plan to eat at Denny's and Golden Corral all week, than you would dress in shorts, and t-shirts all week.

If you go to an all inclusive resort, and they advertise fancy restaurants are included, you would go wearing dress pants, and a tie, evening dress for the ladies. You are paying for that atmosphere, when you make the final payment.

A cruise is the same. You know it has two formal nights. Although a tuxedo and gown are long gone, dressing in a shirt and tie, or an evening dress is what you paid for, when you purchased the cruise. It is also what everyone else pays for.

Many people will say, you can dress as you like, no one will enforce it, and who cares what others do. However, I believe most people do care what others do around them, and lets face it, most will not openly say they make fun of "that guy" wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a tux on it, but they do. If you are buying a vacation package that has the expectations of you dressing a certain way, than you should do it. If you don't like dressing up, than why not pick a beach vacation that suits your style?

Plus, if you can afford a vacation, than why can't you afford a $50 luggage fee? :D

The fee has nothing whatever to do with it. Not that it's your business of what I can and cannot afford. We are flying Southwest so we could choose to check 2 bags each for free. However, like I said. . . We are flying in day of and arriving at 4:45. We also have a short layover in Houston of 45 minutes. I do not want to deal with lost luggage as we don't have time to sort it out or shop for replacement if it did happen.

Formal attire is a tux and long evening dress. At best they should call it semi-formal. I also said if we felt out of place we would eat somewhere else. I am sensitive to others which is why I'm asking the question. If I didn't care about anyone else I wouldn't have asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been 4 years since we've sailed Royal. NCL and Carnival have practically done away with it. Just wondering how it's going on Royal these days? Also want to bring only carry on so will probably plan something else if there is still a dress up requirement.

I can predict most of the replies, but you mentioned only bringing a carry on, so I thought I'd mention what we do now. We are now minimalist on baggage, so I take one white button down shirt, dark pants, and tie in our suitcase. I pay a few bucks to have the shirt pressed so I go in that if we do dinner in the MDR on formal night. I still see the full spectrum of tux/formal gowns, to total casual, but I fall somewhere in the middle.

I can predict most of the replies, but you mentioned only bringing a carry on, so I thought I'd mention what we do now. We are now minimalist on baggage, so I take one white button down shirt, dark pants, and tie in our suitcase. I pay a few bucks to have the shirt pressed so I go in that if we do dinner in the MDR on formal night. I still see the full spectrum of tux/formal gowns, to total casual, but I fall somewhere in the middle.

Yes, this is what dh does, but blue shirt. Usually has it laundered as he wears it on the plane with black loafers and belt. I usually wear my trainers on the plane since they are the biggest shoes I take.

The fee has nothing whatever to do with it. Not that it's your business of what I can and cannot afford. We are flying Southwest so we could choose to check 2 bags each for free. However, like I said. . . We are flying in day of and arriving at 4:45. We also have a short layover in Houston of 45 minutes. I do not want to deal with lost luggage as we don't have time to sort it out or shop for replacement if it did happen.

Formal attire is a tux and long evening dress. At best they should call it semi-formal. I also said if we felt out of place we would eat somewhere else. I am sensitive to others which is why I'm asking the question. If I didn't care about anyone else I wouldn't have asked.

When people ask this question, many refer to the cost of a checked bag fee as an issue, but yet will spend hundreds on drinks. My point was simply was that the cruise that is bought has certain expectations. Your original post mentioned Carnival, where on Carnival, anything goes now. Fortunately, RCCL and many other cruise lines still have dress up nights, and most people, respect that. It was good you asked. As you can see with the many responses, dressing up is the norm on RCCL, which is contributed to the fact, that people chose RCCL for that standard of vacation.

Now, my real question is, what time does your cruise leave? You need to be at the dock 90 minutes early, and you are arriving at 4:45? Seems like you might have an issue with your travel plans.

I've seen people actually going formal less and less over the last decade and a half.

Heck, this year, I saw people in the dining room in shorts. And baseball caps.

I blame in part the advent of "anytime dining." It's no longer experience it was at a set table, at a set time, with the same people. And frankly the change in society to go less and less formal everywhere.

The dining room is often half empty or more. People don't even bother showing up.

This year might be the first time I didn't even bother packing even a suit. A decent shirt and a pair of slacks is all I do now.

so I wouldn't worry about formal night. Nothing is enforced from what I can see.

Edited by DIAMONDRCL

When people ask this question, many refer to the cost of a checked bag fee as an issue, but yet will spend hundreds on drinks. My point was simply was that the cruise that is bought has certain expectations. Your original post mentioned Carnival, where on Carnival, anything goes now. Fortunately, RCCL and many other cruise lines still have dress up nights, and most people, respect that. It was good you asked. As you can see with the many responses, dressing up is the norm on RCCL, which is contributed to the fact, that people chose RCCL for that standard of vacation.

Now, my real question is, what time does your cruise leave? You need to be at the dock 90 minutes early, and you are arriving at 4:45? Seems like you might have an issue with your travel plans.

It's close but no issue. RCL says flight must arrive by 6:00. Have to be onboard by 7:00. Cruise leaves at 8:30. We will take a taxi straight to the port which is supposed to be 5-10 minutes away. Since we're not checking bags we should be there by 5:30.

As far as standard of vacation. There is very, very little difference between RCCL, NCL, Disney, and CCL. Service, food, atmosphere, guests are all similar.

No need to be judgmental, you can wear a tux and I can dress up. We can all do it our own way within guidelines set by the cruise lines, none of which listed above require true formal attire.

As far as standard of vacation. There is very, very little difference between RCCL, NCL, Disney, and CCL. Service, food, atmosphere, guests are all similar.

No need to be judgmental, you can wear a tux and I can dress up. We can all do it our own way within guidelines set by the cruise lines, none of which listed above require true formal attire.

I think perhaps you're imagining "judgmental" that's not really there.

Because some enjoy dressing up???

I love to dress formal even to Chops. On formal nights is jacket and tie the rest polo and slacks. For us thats the fun of the cruise and traveling getting to do stuff that you wouldnt normally get to do. Next Aug when we go on Oasis well make our niece and nephew dress up.

I think perhaps you're imagining "judgmental" that's not really there.

I'm sure you're right, except he suggested I just take a beach vacation and asked why I couldn't afford the $50 for luggage fees. You can put lipstick on a pig but. . .

I asked very politely and respectfully a question that I was sincerely wondering about. There was no need to make it into a personal issue that perhaps the standard is too high for me. I did not ask for anyone to tell me that I need to consider another vacation option because I am not planning to dress "formally". My manners make me better than that, not satin, chiffon, or rhinestones.

I'm sure you're right, except he suggested I just take a beach vacation and asked why I couldn't afford the $50 for luggage fees. You can put lipstick on a pig but. . .

I asked very politely and respectfully a question that I was sincerely wondering about. There was no need to make it into a personal issue that perhaps the standard is too high for me. I did not ask for anyone to tell me that I need to consider another vacation option because I am not planning to dress "formally". My manners make me better than that, not satin, chiffon, or rhinestones.

Sheesh. Your ego seems easily bruised.

Royal stopped treating formal nights as anything distinct or special from other nights; why shouldn't guests?

Actually last weeks cruise on Empress the Captain was set up to take pictures with guests just like on Formal night and many guests were dressed up.We had chosen not to but that is what it is all about. Different strokes ;)

Actually last weeks cruise on Empress the Captain was set up to take pictures with guests just like on Formal night and many guests were dressed up.We had chosen not to but that is what it is all about. Different strokes ;)

What did they call that night on Empress out of curiosity?

Just had to chime in. So much fun you guys are having with this thread.

Formal night is suggested as are all the attire nights on RCCL, Formal, Smart Casual and Casual or theme dress which you seldom hear about until on board.. LOLOL. There is no dress code. I say the cruise photographers want you to dress up and make a photo and buy it, but you can hardly get a cheaper portrait than this anywhere! They say lots but do little to nothing when others even wear a wife beater or sandals to MDR. It's funny, go to the MDR for lunch in your tank top from the deck and they wrap a table cloth over your shoulders, and they should, put on a shirt and ladies, you can as well since Dolly Parton could be a crump catcher!

What we say to our friends and new cruisers is to Do what your table and friends want to do. If you would like to celebrate in Tux and Gowns, go for it! if you don't want to take a tie or a jacket on the cruise, don't. On longer cruises with travelers who cruise often, we notice the ones that follow the dress suggestions are usually in the big majority. On shorter cruises, often filled with new travelers during the summer, it appears for a much more informal dining room attire among guests. if luggage is a concern, and it is sometime post cruise for us, don't lug clothes that you don't feel with be used through out YOUR vacation. Just be happy, enjoy your cruise, don't worry about the dress of others but see how many new friends you can meet while on board.