Hyatt Regency, or Astor Crown

buggerbean

Depends on how much you save on the hotel. As already mentioned you probably don't want to walk from Hyatt to the Quarter but it's $1.25 street car ride or $3/day street car pass. About a $5-6 cab ride if you come back late after the street car stops running. Hyatt Regency is the nicest hotel I've stayed at in New Orleans. I've never stayed at Astor Crown Plaza but the location is outstanding.

Thanks guys, myself, my daughter, my cousin and my 12 year old grand daughter are cruising on the Carnival Dream. I actually chose the Hilton Riverside for 2 nights prior to the cruise. With my grand daughter with us, I think this was the better option, and seems close to everything we would want to do with the streetcar stop right by it. Also bought some Jazzy passes to use while we are there. I've read where you can walk through the Riverwalk mall and get to the cruise terminals, but that for Carnival there are stairs that would need to be used. Possibly more of a hassle with luggage. Looking through the boards, I can't determine if this is still the case, or if it is easier now. Can anyone confirm? Or is it just easier to cab it. Thanks so much in advance!

You can't avoid the stairs if you are walking to the terminal through the Riverwalk, but they are not bad, and you end up right at the terminal.

Maybe take a dry run and see if it would work.

We also chose the Hilton Riverside, we stayed there for our last cruise and loved it so are booked again for this cruise! We loved the breakfast buffet but be aware that it is $25 per person! Loved being attached to the Riverwalk mall, you could see the cruise ships out of the windows!

I stayed at both on a recent trip. The Hyatt is a great hotel and a short streetcar ride to the French Quarter. The Astor is older and a little worn, but the location and staff are excellent. I like both but I would probably go with the Astor due to the location.

Edited by YubaSutter