Has anyone flown Iceland Air?

gkrnjlr

Not sure where you're flying out of, but my brother and wife are traveling on WOW this summer to Iceland. It's a new airline and they nickle and dime you to death, everything's a la carte, only economy seats available, BUT they booked two round trip tickets from LA for $1500.

It's been almost 10 years since we flew Iceland Air and enjoyed it. The only problem (which occurred flying out of Baltimore) was their ticket agent insisted on weighing every carry-on. At that time the limit was 11 lbs, which we knew and had packed accordingly. Unfortunately, a young mother with a baby in sling as well as two toddlers, had an overweight carry-on. The toddlers had tiny backpacks but no room to squeeze in additional stuff. The poor mother was in tears as the gate agent forced her to check some of her carry-on which seemed to be filled with necessities for the children. Coming back from Frankfurt via Iceland Air, the agent could have cared less how much anything weighed.

Edited by lynncarol

I've flown on Icelandair numerous times over the last 30 years and love it. I don't think they've had a major accident since the 1970's.

That's comforting! I hadn't heard of them, so I wasn't sure if it was just me or a good thing. Thanks!

Not sure where you're flying out of, but my brother and wife are traveling on WOW this summer to Iceland. It's a new airline and they nickle and dime you to death, everything's a la carte, only economy seats available, BUT they booked two round trip tickets from LA for $1500.

That's a deal! I did look at Wow Air and their flights aren't out yet for May 2017 so I don't know exact pricing. It's not bad from what I've seen. Are they brand new to the business? I've never heard of them at all.

It's been almost 10 years since we flew Iceland Air and enjoyed it. The only problem (which occurred flying out of Baltimore) was their ticket agent insisted on weighing every carry-on. At that time the limit was 11 lbs, which we knew and had packed accordingly. Unfortunately, a young mother with a baby in sling as well as two toddlers, had an overweight carry-on. The toddlers had tiny backpacks but no room to squeeze in additional stuff. The poor mother was in tears as the gate agent forced her to check some of her carry-on which seemed to be filled with necessities for the children. Coming back from Frankfurt via Iceland Air, the agent could have cared less how much anything weighed.

That's horrible! Other than that I've been hearing good things. You'd think there'd be a little bit of leeway on it, but I guess it's all "by the books" for them. :(

We have flown Icelandair several times, to Heathrow and Copenhagen. Service is good, the aircraft is clean and comfortable, and our flights have been on time. All flights from the U.S. are routed through Keflavik airport.

There are good things and not so good things about Keflavik airport. The good: it is a small airport and very easy to navigate. Arriving flights are on one level and departing flights are on another. We have managed very tight connections of less than an hour quite effortlessly. Your flight to England won't leave without you.

The not so good: the airport can be extremely busy in the summer months. There is not a lot of seating at the gates. You will most likely be standing as you wait to board your next flight. The boarding process may take you down a flight of stairs and you will need to manage your carry-on luggage on your own.

Icelandair has good airport maps online. Research the route you will take through the airport from arrival gate areas to passport control to departure gate areas. There is good information using the search function on CC as well as the Rick Steves website travel forum. Signage in the airport is good and is in English, but it helps to have an idea of what you need to do and where you need to go.

A real plus with Icelandair is the Saga lounge, which is for Saga class and Economy plus passengers. It's a relaxing oasis with good beverage and food selections.

Hope this helps. We are planning to fly Icelandair again next summer.

The ability to spend time in Iceland enroute to Europe is a real plus! The pricing is often ridiculously low....our open jaw trip in May 2015 was a tad over $700@ (YYZ-CDG/MAN-YYZ).

I agree with the analysis of the Reykjavik airport by PNW Traveler. As far as comfort, three legs of our journey in economy were typical, but our first flight out of Toronto had the thinnest seat padding ever!

Even though we had to drive 5 hours to YYZ, pay for a park, stay, fly package at an airport hotel, we would gladly do so again to fly Icelandair.

Flew last summer -- from Keflavik to Washington IAD. Flew Saga class their business class. Planes are 757's -- seats up front are standard domestic style first seats -- nothing special. Their PE is the same as economy except that you get the middle seat free.

Food was OK. Service was fine. Good safety record. As pointed out the airport is a zoo in summer, with very few seats and most flight to USA leaving at same time with limited seating in the wait area.

Edited by PaulMCO

• 2 weeks later...

We've flown on Iceland Air twice, in Comfort Economy class, in 2013 from Amsterdam to SFB and in 2016 from Copenhagen to MCO. We like the airline, especially the Comfort Economy and the extra baggage it allows. Definitely worth the upgrade price after a long cruise.

I agree with the comments about Keflavik airport and crowded departure gates, but the wait was not horrible, just tiring. They were adding new gates in May 2016 so maybe it will be better next year?

OP: Not exactly an answer to your question , but have you checked out the cruise line's air? Of the past 4 European cruises or TA's we've done, cruise line air has always been less $$ than anything I could find and I checked out Iceland Air, Aer Lingus and Berlin Air, which are 3 of the lowest priced airlines. And we ended up flying on KLM, Alitalia ,Delta and TAP.

Edited by marco

I'm curious if anyone has more recent info on whether they tend to weigh carry-on bags? We find that most airlines we've flown don't (they just kinda eyeball it), although we flew Fiji Airways earlier this year and coming back from Sydney they did weight each carry-on and were quite picky. We really had to scramble to rearrange.

The Iceland Air website says one carry-on at 22 lb max (economy to/from the US), which is pretty reasonable.

http://www.icelandair.us/information/baggage-information/carry-on-baggage/

The best news is that they're one of the few airlines that allow 2 free checked bags, so we should have plenty of space (we'll throw a soft canvas bag into the suitcase, and if we bought a lot of souvenirs during the trip we'll just stuff it full of dirty clothes and check it as the 2nd bag on the way back).