Princess Round Trip to Hawaii

Hi, all

I am planning on taking my very first cruise in April, 2015 - specifically the Princess Cruise roundtrip to Hawaii.

When is the earliest that I should actually book the cruise - should I do it now?

I will be travelling on my own. I've heard that there are programs where two people traveling single can share a cabin ... I don't really want to do this because with my luck I'd get a snorer!

What other ways - if any - are there for a single person to get a decent deal on a room?

I cruised solo for years but refused to give them the extra money for a half empty cabin. So I took anyone who could go. Brother in Law, Sister in Law, daughter, son, neighbor, friend from work, anyone was fine. I did not charge them anything, but we all had fun together.

Not sure you can get a good deal since I am not sure Princess drops the single supplement for some specials like some other lines occasionally do. If you are set on having a certain type room in a certain place, book it now. If you don't mind taking what is left after more of the ship sells, you could probably wait to see if the prices drop.

Remember you can price match up until final payment which is normally about 90 days out from departure. Also head over to the Princess board for specific questions about Princess as you will often get better answers there.

I always go as a single. You pay close to double the price but the taxes are only paid once. I received three upgrades from an inside to a balcony so it helps to book early. The price has actually dropped but if I take it I lose the upgrade.

I have been on the Hawaiian cruise 5 times and the price keeps climbing. A few of my cruises were under $2000 for a single. It is now over $3000.

Edited by denmarks

You should start pricing your desired accommodations now - and check weekly. Ideally, you can talk a friend into going with you, as I do not think Princess matches single sharers. If/when you see a price you can live with, book it. If fares go up, you are locked in - if they drop before final payment date, you can take advantage. An advantage of booking early is that you can also monitor air fare ( if necessary) and book that early also. Any savings you MIGHT get by booking a cruise last minute is likely to be offset bya higher air fare to the port.

Thanks all for your comments.

I'll be booking my cruise - as a single ! - sometime next week!

ENJOY!!! I have taken a number of solo Princess cruises, when none of my family or cruise friends are available or interested in an itinerary that I want to do. Once you are booked, closely monitor the fares for it and if you see a reduction or special sale, call Princess (if you booked directly with them) or your travel agent (if you used one) and ask for the reduction. Depending on the terms of the price change, you may be able to got it. I book directly, and every time I have called Princess and made the request, I have gotten the reduction. On a couple of cruises I have succeeded in getting more than one reduction.

Hi, all

I am planning on taking my very first cruise in April, 2015 - specifically the Princess Cruise roundtrip to Hawaii.

When is the earliest that I should actually book the cruise - should I do it now?

I will be travelling on my own. I've heard that there are programs where two people traveling single can share a cabin ... I don't really want to do this because with my luck I'd get a snorer!

What other ways - if any - are there for a single person to get a decent deal on a room?

No, Princess doesn't match up solo cruisers. I think most cruise lines have stopped doing this. My hubby, the year before he met me, did get matched up with another guy on a Carnival cruise, and lucked out with someone he got along with. But I imagine there were some matches that some weren't happy with.

Our last three cruises were the RTs out of LA to Hawaii on Princess, so obviously we love this itinerary. Would do it again, but our teen is about to apply for college for next year and keeps reminding us about that.:rolleyes: So probably won't be going on any vacations soon except maybe to drive her to college, I guess.

Princess has a great Hawaiian cultural program with all sorts of Hawaiian classes (lei-making, uke playing, hula dancing) as well as seminars and talks. A musical couple Elua has been helping with this program for several years now, and usually performs beautiful Hawaiian music every day either on deck or in the Piazza.

Now for my caution since it's your first cruise: it isn't not a smooth water cruise. It's best for those who have already been on at least one or two cruises and know how they do on the open ocean. Myself, I have to take lots of ginger (hubby and my teen aren't bothered at all by rough seas). The Pacific is not placid at all. So I really recommend anyone who's looking for a first cruise to try Alaska (I found it so smooth and we were actually far forward, where often you get the most motion) or a Caribbean cruise (not during hurricane season). You'll undoubtedly have a great time and want to book another cruise.

Hawaii is very popular, especially as Princess only has the Hawaiian cruises between late September and early May. But this is a good mix of sea days (which are tons of fun on the Princess Hawaiian cruises) and the ports in Hawaii. You'll get a taste of the islands, and then if you want to come back for a land trip and stay on an island or two for some days, you'll know where.

I had my first land trip there about 15 years before the first of those three cruises when a college roomie decided to separate from her husband, but they had booked one of those 3 islands in 9 days tours. She asked me to buy his ticket. Also was there on my honeymoon. So if we would do a land trip or the cruise from LA (no flights needed, which is a major plus for me).

[quote=Cruisin' Chick;43686306

Now for my caution since it's your first cruise: it isn't not a smooth water cruise. It's best for those who have already been on at least one or two cruises and know how they do on the open ocean. Myself, I have to take lots of ginger (hubby and my teen aren't bothered at all by rough seas). The Pacific is not placid at all. So I really recommend anyone who's looking for a first cruise to try Alaska (I found it so smooth and we were actually far forward, where often you get the most motion) or a Caribbean cruise (not during hurricane season). You'll undoubtedly have a great time and want to book another cruise.

Re: seas between California and Hawaii ..... One never knows how they will be, but I have done this itinerary 5 times thus far, both from SFO and from San Pedro, and have not encountered anything worse than mild rocking crossing the California current. I have also seen the Pacific as smooth as glass, both going and coming back.

Edited by flamomo