New to NCL -?'s re: shore excursions

Kate45

Couple questions on shore excursions:

1. If I book shore excursions with NCL online beforehand, do I pay now or is it added to my onboard account?

2. We are on the Sun in November. There are more than one pier is Cozumel and also, I believe in Roatan and Belize. How can I find out where we will be docking (or does someone out there know?). We've been before to Cozumel and Roatan and really just want to go ashore and do a little shopping but don't know if we will be within walking distance to do this.

Thanks

1. If I book shore excursions with NCL online beforehand, do I pay now or is it added to my onboard account?

2. We are on the Sun in November. There are more than one pier is Cozumel and also, I believe in Roatan and Belize. How can I find out where we will be docking (or does someone out there know?). We've been before to Cozumel and Roatan and really just want to go ashore and do a little shopping but don't know if we will be within walking distance to do this.

Thanks

You must be "On Board" in order to use the Onboard Account.

Thanks

1. If you book now, you pay now.

A word of advice - don't book them now. We have never had an excursion sell-out, so why pay for it before it's necessary? Just make a note of the excursion you're interested in, fill out the form that will be in your cabin when you first arrive (or provided with your first daily), and drop it off at the shore excursion desk.

2. In Belize you will be tendering in. The ship will anchor and you're about a 20 minute boat ride (@ full throttle) from the pier. The tender will drop you off right at a little plaza with the typical cruise line shopping scene. It's a secure fenced-in area, so it's safe.

In Roatan you'll be docked at Coxen Hole. You'll walk off right into some little shops. Again, it's a secure fenced-in area.

The only other pier in Roatan is Mahogany Bay, which is owned by Carnival. At one time other cruise lines paid to dock there, but for the last few years it is exclusive to Carnival-owned cruise ships.

In Cozumel you'll be docked right downtown (Punta Langosta???...something like that). There is plenty of shopping right there within easy walking distance.

1. If you book now, you pay now.

A word of advice - don't book them now. We have never had an excursion sell-out, so why pay for it before it's necessary? Just make a note of the excursion you're interested in, fill out the form that will be in your cabin when you first arrive (or provided with your first daily), and drop it off at the shore excursion desk.

I'm glad you've never been closed out of an excursion, but it can happen depending on the type of excursion it is.

My advice to the OP would be that if it's something he/she really wants to do, then book it now. In terms of paying now, it's one less thing on your account at the end of the cruise.

On a previous cruise, I had a large on board credit (thanks to American Express) so I wanted to wait to book an excursion. The day before we sailed I noticed the excursion was gone from the on line list, and when I called they said it was sold out. I checked when we got on board and was told they had reserved a small number of tickets, so I quickly grabbed the last available. I also noticed they cost $10 more on board.

So, the earlier poster who said if they are important, pre-order was correct. Do keep in mind if you cancel after the sailing begins, you only receive on board credit, not a refund on your credit card.

I'm glad you've never been closed out of an excursion, but it can happen depending on the type of excursion it is.

My advice to the OP would be that if it's something he/she really wants to do, then book it now. In terms of paying now, it's one less thing on your account at the end of the cruise.

Good point. I had thought about that but my post was getting too wordy so I deleted a paragraph or two before I pressed the post button.

We tend to stick with the city, cultural, and history type of tours and never had any issue by waiting until onboard. However, I imagine the sporty type of tours have a very limited availability.

In Cozumel there are three piers. I've never been lucky enough to dock downtown and end up at the International pier. If I remember correctly it's a $7 taxi ride to downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

So no-one really knows where we dock in Cozumel? Can I make a request that anyone who is on this cruise when it begins in Oct(?), can post this. Also, my itinerary doesn't say we will be tendered at any port - are you sure we are tendered in Belize?

So no-one really knows where we dock in Cozumel? Can I make a request that anyone who is on this cruise when it begins in Oct(?), can post this. Also, my itinerary doesn't say we will be tendered at any port - are you sure we are tendered in Belize?

Belize always tenders - the coral reefs do not allow for larger ships to go that close to the island to dock.

In Cozumel you may also need to tender depending on the number of ships in port. I have also had to tender in Roatan.

I have gone to the excursion desk upon boarding to find certain excursions sold out. Popular excursions will sell out well in advance. These include dolphin swims and cabanas at Great Stirrup Cay.

NCL historically docks at Punta Langosta in Cozumel.

About 7 days out you can check this and it should be updated:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CRUISESHIPS

I wanted to take my granddaughter to Swimming with Rays in Coz, originally there were two times, one morning and and one afternoon. Today, 134 or so days out, I saw that there were only the morning time now available. I wanted the afternoon but so as not to disappoint her (this is the thing she has been looking for to the most) I went in and booked and paid for the morning time. Like another poster said, if it's a popular one, book and pay early.