Price increase royal Caribbean drink packages and shore excursions

madtaj

I actually queried the cost with the cruise line because if anything the aussie $ has gone up, they emailed me back asking where I saw it because it was obviously a mistake!! Well the cheaper price was on the website for about 6 mths and only went up last week so they don't check their own site or just think we are stupid? :)

They didn't put drinks packages up for all that time the AUD was falling. It was about 0.95, and hasn't been put up for quite a while despite the AUD falling.

Based on the figures above, it's been converted around 0.88, which is around the rate last week, so is reasonable.

• 7 months later...

Is there a difference between what beers someone can order as part of the Select and Premium packages?

In another thread I read that the Select package includes beers priced below $6.50 whereas the Premium package includes all beers except for Chimay. Does this still hold true? If so do they go by listed menu price before gratuities?

Also curious how the 20% discount on wine bottles works for larger groups. My wife and I will have one mini-suite and my parents will be in another (they probably won't be getting a drinks package). As we will be having dinners together, can I always be the one ordering the wine on my tab to enjoy the 20% savings?

Is there a difference between what beers someone can order as part of the Select and Premium packages?

In another thread I read that the Select package includes beers priced below $6.50 whereas the Premium package includes all beers except for Chimay. Does this still hold true? If so do they go by listed menu price before gratuities?

Also curious how the 20% discount on wine bottles works for larger groups. My wife and I will have one mini-suite and my parents will be in another (they probably won't be getting a drinks package). As we will be having dinners together, can I always be the one ordering the wine on my tab to enjoy the 20% savings?

There is a difference in beer inclusions, although I'm not 100% certain it's based on price for beer any more.

Note that in the Australian market, the price threshold is based on total price (including gratuities).

Regarding wine, no problem with your suggestion - as long as you're happy to foot the bill on your account. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Astera :)

Have you been on your cruise?

I would like to know what beers were available on the select package?

Cheers

Christine

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe a reflection in the US dollar but prices have gone up especially in drinks packages by about $5 per day. Comes to a fair whack if you are on a longer cruise. Just FYI.

This was the same last year - the website price stays favourably low (relative to the exch rate) until a month or so before Xmas and then increases in line with the exch rate. This may be a deliberate tactic to encourage cruisers to commit early and book online, even though you have to pay at the time. Given the size of the increases, it's worth paying early.

I think that those who wait and buy on board will find that the price is even higher still, not to mention the queues of fellow cruisers doing likewise.

This was the same last year - the website price stays favourably low (relative to the exch rate) until a month or so before Xmas and then increases in line with the exch rate. This may be a deliberate tactic to encourage cruisers to commit early and book online, even though you have to pay at the time. Given the size of the increases, it's worth paying early.

I think that those who wait and buy on board will find that the price is even higher still, not to mention the queues of fellow cruisers doing likewise.

Agreed, in this instance but not if the AUD goes up (unlikely now to regain the $1.10 USD of a few years ago).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

• 1 month later...

Hi new here. Saw that the prices for the package today went from $59 to $69 a day there are 14 of us in our group and a bit miffed its adding another $100 each to this cruise. Especially when you save and budget this will be our first cruise on RCI and feeling wow :( this will probably be our last cruise on an American line. Do you think we should lock this price in now or will the prices change again as thought long and hard about paying the $59 but $69 now geez now added another $1500 to the bill and maybe now its just now worth doing it, bare in mind not every person is on high wages any thoughts to lock in now in case it goes up again would they do that? thank you:confused:

Hi new here. Saw that the prices for the package today went from $59 to $69 a day there are 14 of us in our group and a bit miffed its adding another $100 each to this cruise. Especially when you save and budget this will be our first cruise on RCI and feeling wow :( this will probably be our last cruise on an American line. Do you think we should lock this price in now or will the prices change again as thought long and hard about paying the $59 but $69 now geez now added another $1500 to the bill and maybe now its just now worth doing it, bare in mind not every person is on high wages any thoughts to lock in now in case it goes up again would they do that? thank you:confused:

When is your cruise? Anecdotal evidence is that $A is not going to rise vs $US anytime soon, so waiting further doesn't seem the best option.

Really depends when your cruise is.

They're losing 20% compared to what they used to, which is why they put the price up.

It depends how far off your cruise is as to whether you think the AU currency would fall another 20% in that time.

There's always the choice of buying drinks onboard instead of buying a package... the package is usually not financially worth it for most people. Though of course you're then exposed to currency changes again for the cruise, for better or worse.

Thanks for helping me out appreciate your answers. Our cruise is March 5th from Sydney, some of the others on the roll call already prepaid and got that price. We thought we would use our obc towards it to use it up. Wrong decision now :rolleyes:

Welcome to CC.:D

There are various types of packages and not everyone is suited to the select or the ultimate package, some may only want the soda package.

The packages can also be purchased prorate, as in you can buy once on board two days into the cruise. I suggest, (dependent on when you cruise) that you drink for the day and do the math, if only some of you will get value, then only buy the packages for those people. I do not foresee prices going up until the season changes so you should be safe until April this year.:D

Thanks for helping me out appreciate your answers. Our cruise is March 5th from Sydney, some of the others on the roll call already prepaid and got that price. We thought we would use our obc towards it to use it up. Wrong decision now :rolleyes:

The package prices on board are all USD so any change between now an march is less likely to be a great difference.:D

It just went up $11 per day per person on Australia Day for the Premium package which we were deciding on, probably not worth it now, $70 for drinks per day pfttt which adds another $100 each. Havnt done RCI :( :(

In real terms the package increased by approximately one drink a day or about 8 percent taking the fact that gratituites are included in the price. Considering the drop in value of the A$ (around 20 percent) I think it is fair increase. Only you can assess the value of the package now, if you are going to consume more than 6 or 7 drinks a day EVERY day it may not be viable.

Thanks for helping me out appreciate your answers. Our cruise is March 5th from Sydney,

I'd say it's very unlikely to increase further.

So the question then becomes whether you think its worthwhile. Could still use your OBC if you wish - note that OBC is in USD, and onboard purchases including drinks are in USD - so that price won't have changed from what it already was.

Seems like you should stick with your original plan. :D

Hi, I just organised our drink packages today even though not sailing until dec from sydney. I also like to get expenses out of the way, so drinks today and shore excursions next then have no big bill at the end

Hi, I just organised our drink packages today even though not sailing until dec from sydney. I also like to get expenses out of the way, so drinks today and shore excursions next then have no big bill at the end

A great way to avoid bill shock at the end of the cruise.:D

Hi MicCanberra

I notice you are booked to go on Solstice on 28 December. We have just booked that cruise too. Very excited. I love that ship.

Cool, come over and join the roll call, so far it is all Canberrans (all 6 of us) so it will be good to get some more CC members aboard.:D