Help, advice.. With cancelation of cruise

dogchopper

My sister and I are booked on a cruise for Feb 2nd ( We booked early saver)

Last evening her father in law passed away so, obviously she cannot make this cruise and I'm not going alone.

We did have travel insurance thru Allianz global

My TA says We will lose 50.00 non refundable deposit and the rest of the 200 dollar deposit carnival will put towards our next cruise. We plan to go later in the month if possible .

Questions... Am I gonna get my money back since it was not my father in law? Or am I gonna lose out on the entire cruise.

How do I even do this..

Anyone that's 'been here done that, ' I'd really like some advice from.:(

Y

My condolences as well. When you get a chance, can you explain your screen name?

I was wondering too, but I think it's "chopper" as in either helicopter or motorcycle. Not as in "cutter of things". I could be wrong though.

First of all, my condolences to you and your family. As for the cruise, do you have travel insurance? If so, you should be covered. If you didn't purchase travel insurance you most likely won't get anything back except for taxes since your booking is at the 100% cancellation point. Call Carnival and see what they will do for you.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

First of all, my condolences to you and your family. As for the cruise, do you have travel insurance? If so, you should be covered. If you didn't purchase travel insurance you most likely won't get anything back except for taxes since your booking is at the 100% cancellation point. Call Carnival and see what they will do for you.

op says in 3rd sentence they have insurance. op says in a response they have already contacted travel insurance, who stated that she 'may' be covered (given that it's not her direct relative) but that they won't know until claim is filed. op said in 4th sentence that they booked through a TA, so they have to work through their TA, not carnival.

condolences to op and your family, hope it works out for you!

First of all,,,, please accept our condolences.

The phone rep said that you "MAY" receive your money back because that's how they are trained to respond. Nobody can answer that question until you file a claim.

Most likely, you are covered and will receive a full refund except for what Carnival keeps as part of the booking agreement.

However,,,,, be prepared for the claim process to take a few (3-6) months.

No,,, the insurance company is not going to just change the sail date. Neither is Carnival.

You're thinking logically about this just moving money thing. Accountants and businesses can't think logically.

Firemanbobswife!!! You got it, I'm a dog groomer!! :D

Thanks for all the info. The 3 to 6 months part is a bit if a bummer!! Makes it hard to book a cruise in a few weeks if all our money is in a holding pattern . Shoot.

I guess I will just hope I get the money back.

I didn't call carnival, figured that since I have a TA they won't really talk to me?? Maybe I will call just to see what happens.

First of all,,,, please accept our condolences.

The phone rep said that you "MAY" receive your money back because that's how they are trained to respond. Nobody can answer that question until you file a claim.

Most likely, you are covered and will receive a full refund except for what Carnival keeps as part of the booking agreement.

However,,,,, be prepared for the claim process to take a few (3-6) months.

No,,, the insurance company is not going to just change the sail date. Neither is Carnival.

You're thinking logically about this just moving money thing. Accountants and businesses can't think logically.

I'm thinking you'll be covered because of the cabin mate cancelling and she can prove why she cancelled. Be careful filling out the form so they won't think it's your relative that is too distant to be covered. Be clear that your cabin mate had to cancel because of a death.

I'm thinking you'll be covered because of the cabin mate cancelling and she can prove why she cancelled. Be careful filling out the form so they won't think it's your relative that is too distant to be covered. Be clear that your cabin mate had to cancel because of a death.

That's good to know ! Thanks !

I'm going to get flamed for this I'm sure but what the heck.

Feb 2 is over a week away. Surely all the funeral stuff will be over by then. Maybe I'm cold or uncaring or something but life goes on. I don't obviously know anything about your sister or her family but I would think if there was a big loss of money the husband would be understanding if his wife went on her trip.

People usually return to life, work etc. after a few days unless it was a tragic death or a child or something don't they?

We also had to cancel our cruise (January 30th on the Ecstasy) because my husband's Mother is dying of cancer and is under Hospice care. We have trip insurance through the same company (Allianz) which I purchased from Insure My Trip dot com. I have submitted all the paperwork required and am waiting for a response. My claim status says "please allow 10 days for us to review your documentation". So I can't really see it taking 3 months.

Good luck with all this - hope it works out for you. And me too since the policy requires a sick relative to be in the hospital to be covered and she doesn't want to die in the hospital - she has moved in with my husband's brother. I hope the Hospice thing counts as "hospital".

Kim

I'm going to get flamed for this I'm sure but what the heck.

Feb 2 is over a week away. Surely all the funeral stuff will be over by then. Maybe I'm cold or uncaring or something but life goes on. I don't obviously know anything about your sister or her family but I would think if there was a big loss of money the husband would be understanding if his wife went on her trip.

People usually return to life, work etc. after a few days unless it was a tragic death or a child or something don't they?

Your not gonna get flamed from me, I agree with ya. In fact I told my sister that and told her to think about it. She took a week off work, her husband by then will be back at work and she will be sitting at home angry cuz she's not on a cruise. I haven't canceled anything yet. I told her id wait till Tuesday to do anything

We also had to cancel our cruise (January 30th on the Ecstasy) because my husband's Mother is dying of cancer and is under Hospice care. We have trip insurance through the same company (Allianz) which I purchased from Insure My Trip dot com. I have submitted all the paperwork required and am waiting for a response. My claim status says "please allow 10 days for us to review your documentation". So I can't really see it taking 3 months.

Good luck with all this - hope it works out for you. And me too since the policy requires a sick relative to be in the hospital to be covered and she doesn't want to die in the hospital - she has moved in with my husband's brother. I hope the Hospice thing counts as "hospital".

Kim

I'm really sorry about your mother in law!

Hopefully it won't take too long to get your money back. I did see on the website where it said 10 days also.. I hope that is the truth.