A word of caution for suites below the patio

Prior to a recent sailing on the Odyssey, I read on this forum that suites below the patio deck were subject to the noise above. I only saw a couple of forum complaints about this, and Seabourn told our TA they had never had any complaints.

Having just returned, I want to add my warning to the mix. We had suite 740 and we were subject to an almost constant noise from above. I honestly don't know why the chairs and tables need to be moved so much, but they do, and you hear that "dragging" sound in your suite below. Fortunately, you learn to tune most of it out, but not so much at 5am in the morning--when they are cleaning.

Also, good luck trying to sleep while the Rock the Boat party is going on at the patio. It sounds like a herd of elephants line dancing.

If, like us, you're assigned one of these rooms because of a guaranteed verandah, you'll tolerate it, because it's mid-ship, deck 7, and you didn't pay full price for it. If you are going to pay full price for a room, avoid any below the patio.

I have posted on these boards many times warning guests not to sail in the suites that are directly below the patio grill and pool deck.

I had one of these suites for one day and night,I was quickly moved to another suite on deck six.

I now only book a suite on deck six 640 or 642 are my preferred choices.

V6 deck seven suites are the slowest selling suites on these ships and are generally the ones that people are given as an upgrade.

As I have said before a so called upgrade is not always what it might seem.

I've only heard of this being a problem on the Odyssey.

Do we know if it's also an issue on Sojourn and Quest? Has anyone had a problem in this location on either of these two ships? I'm wondering if SB addressed the problem during the building of the younger ships.

Unfortunately I am very noise sensitive and the issues you've described, cruisingpilgrim, would drive me to distraction and would surely spoil my cruise.

I have posted on these boards many times warning guests not to sail in the suites that are directly below the patio grill and pool deck.

I had one of these suites for one day and night,I was quickly moved to another suite on deck six.

I now only book a suite on deck six 640 or 642 are my preferred choices.

V6 deck seven suites are the slowest selling suites on these ships and are generally the ones that people are given as an upgrade.

As I have said before a so called upgrade is not always what it might seem.

Yes, and thank you. It was your cautions that led me to investigate prior to sailing, and I'm posting this as support for your comments. :)

I've only heard of this being a problem on the Odyssey.

Do we know if it's also an issue on Sojourn and Quest? Has anyone had a problem in this location on either of these two ships? I'm wondering if SB addressed the problem during the building of the younger ships.

Unfortunately I am very noise sensitive and the issues you've described, cruisingpilgrim, would drive me to distraction and would surely spoil my cruise.

Sorry, I can't comment on the other ships. I have sailed on the Sojourn, but normally on deck 5.

We join the Quest in a few days on a similar guaranteed deal and have just got out suite assignment of 748.

I am postponing telling my wife of your experience at this stage as I had anticipated there was some risk with this type of offer. Just hope we are also able to filter any potential disturbance.

Sorry, I can't comment on the other ships. I have sailed on the Sojourn, but normally on deck 5.

We've been on Quest and Sojourn, but I've never heard anyone onboard complaining about noise from above. Of course there could be several reasons why we haven't heard complaints, it's not necessarily certain that we've heard none because there was no noise !

We've been on deck 7 a couple of times but having just looked at the deck plans, although classed as V6 midships, we were too far forward to be disturbed by such noise.

Anyway, thank you for posting. I'll definitely keep this in mind for future suite selection.

We join the Quest in a few days on a similar guaranteed deal and have just got out suite assignment of 748.

I am postponing telling my wife of your experience at this stage as I had anticipated there was some risk with this type of offer. Just hope we are also able to filter any potential disturbance.

I hate putting a dampener on your trip. Honestly, if you're out of your room on excursions, or at the restaurants, it won't bother you anyway. If you do hear noise from the early cleaning, ask the GSM to ask the cleaning staff to be more considerate--ours did, and that helped some.

Bottom line, it should be quiet between 11pm and 5am - so time your sleeping. ;)

How far in does the noise start? We have suite 735 this coming week on Odyssey. I'm sure we'll be at any Rock the Boat parties so not concerned with that - but would worry about early morning noises!

Suites 731 and 732 going forward are ok because they have suites above them

It's suites 733 and 734 going aft that have the pool and patio grill and bar above them.

On any ship there is a chance of noise if you choose a suite with an open deck above you likewise the same can apply if you have a suite above a late night venue or bar.

I always like to have a suite above and below me.

We were in suite 743 on the Quest last October for the transatlantic cruise. We heard no noise from the Pool Deck above us. The location was very convenient.

I've never taken a transatlantic cruise, so forgive my naivety, but were the conditions conducive to sunbathing and eating at the patio? I wonder if the Mediterranean attracted more (fidgety) people to the pool/patio.

Added: I agree though, the location was very convenient.

Edited by cruisingpilgrim

We were in suite 743 on the Quest last October for the transatlantic cruise. We heard no noise from the Pool Deck above us. The location was very convenient.

I'm glad someone who's stayed in that suite has posted. I was going to mention earlier that it seems like poor design to put such a suite in an area that's going to be subject to noise.

Also, way off topic, but every time you post I want to tell you how much I love your avatar, is that your own dog?

I'm glad someone who's stayed in that suite has posted. I was going to mention earlier that it seems like poor design to put such a suite in an area that's going to be subject to noise.

Also, way off topic, but every time you post I want to tell you how much I love your avatar, is that your own dog?

Thank you. She was our mini-schnauzer and a wonderful companion. I should change my avatar and put a photo of our new family member, a standard schnauzer, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

As for the suite we liked it and the location enough that we booked it for our next Seabourn cruise.

I've never taken a transatlantic cruise, so forgive my naivety, but were the conditions conducive to sunbathing and eating at the patio? I wonder if the Mediterranean attracted more (fidgety) people to the pool/patio.

Added: I agree though, the location was very convenient.

We've done a number of transatlantics and the fall ones have usually been warm enough to use the pool, sunbathe and eat outdoors. The one spring transatlantic I did was rather chilly though.

Thank you. She was our mini-schnauzer and a wonderful companion. I should change my avatar and put a photo of our new family member, a standard schnauzer, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

As for the suite we liked it and the location enough that we booked it for our next Seabourn cruise.

I imagine she's very sadly missed. Our neighbours have two miniatures and their personalities couldn't be more different, but they're both highly entertaining. I hope your new standard fits into the family just as well.

Enjoy the suite on your next cruise too. I aspire to it but can't see it happening for quite a few years yet.

I imagine she's very sadly missed. Our neighbours have two miniatures and their personalities couldn't be more different, but they're both highly entertaining. I hope your new standard fits into the family just as well.

Enjoy the suite on your next cruise too. I aspire to it but can't see it happening for quite a few years yet.

Your question prompted me to make a change. My new avatar shows our new girl Emma. You're right; each of our dogs has had a very distinct personality. They are very entertaining and bring a lot of joy into our lives.

Your question prompted me to make a change. My new avatar shows our new girl Emma. You're right; each of our dogs has had a very distinct personality. They are very entertaining and bring a lot of joy into our lives.

Emma is such a sweetheart! We don't see too many standard schnauzers here (England) but lots of miniatures. I hope Emma isn't too stubborn, both of our neighbours dogs are, but they're totally adorable :)

To the other thread contributors, thank you for indulging me whilst I took the thread off topic, I've often wanted to talk doggies to sunviking because of the avatar, but never had the opportunity previously.

Edited by Ravenscroft

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently in 734 on the Odyssey (we were upgraded to this suite). Wish I'd read this message string before accepting the upgrade. While the noise isn't constant, it is frequent, including late at night. It does diminish our enjoyment of our veranda.

Other than the noise issue, the suite is very conveniently located.

Just for information, in our assigned suit 748 for the recent Norway cruise on the Quest, we experienced no deck noise related issues. Also it was one the most conveniently located suites we have occupied.

However I would reiterate Cruisingpilgrims observations about the possible influence of weather conditions. On our cruise despite the very good seasonal conditions for the area, they still significantly inhibited the general use of the pool/patio deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruised on the Quest Christmas/New year 2012/13 in a suite below the pool deck. Queried noise issue with my TA (UK's biggest Seabourn booking TA)before booking and was told, "No known issues whatsoever. No-one has ever complained of noise from the patio deck above." Absolute nonsense! Dreadful noise from above, especially early mornings as furniture was dragged around when decks were cleaned. Cruise almost full and only available swap cabin was next to a person known to smoke on their balcony, so I stayed put. My patience was sorely tested and a full and frank account of the issue was made known to the TA on my return. They were apologetic, but offered no recompense. However, I would not be too surprised if they still say to any enquirers that there is no known problem. The noise was so obvious that I feel others must have complained and I was deliberately "misled". Please heed what you read in this thread from those who have had a noisy time as it can mar an otherwise enjoyable cruise.

The simple fact is that there is noise from above when you stay In certain suites which are below the patio grill and bar area.

People who choose not to heed this advice are only kidding themselves and could be in for a less than perfect experience.

The basic rule when choosing a suite on any ship for me is always have a suite above and below you.

Never a bar or a pool deck.

Edited by Mr Luxury

How far in does the noise start? We have suite 735 this coming week on Odyssey. I'm sure we'll be at any Rock the Boat parties so not concerned with that - but would worry about early morning noises!

Hi Jeni,

I am interested in what your opinion is of suite 735 is ow that you have been in it. We are booked in 735 next spring on a cruise from Auckland to Bali (sounds like your cruise in reverse!). We didn't get this as an upgrade like you, it was really all that was available other than by the elevator.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!