Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport

Doncin

We are cruising with twin babies in October. Can we walk to town from the ports or do we need to take cabs?? Thank you!

Bar Harbor and Newport both require tendering to get into the port. Once you get off the tender in Bar Harbor, you will be able to walk around town without needing to take a cab. In Newport, there are shops etc. in the immediate port area that you can walk to. You would need to take a bus or cab if you want to visit some of the mansions, etc.

Hi,

I've found that Tom's Port Guides have been invaluable in planning my days in various cruise ports. There are port guides for Boston, Bar Harbor, Newport, Saint John New Brunswick and many other ports. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/index.html

Enjoy your cruise.

Mary

Edited by marys350

Boston is a great little city, and you can just about walk anywhere. The cruise terminal is in South Boston, so the Commons is about 2 miles away, Faneuil Hall is about 4 miles (and then the North End from there). The Freedom Trail is 2.5 miles, from the Commons to the Charlestown Navy Yard. To get the most bang for your buck, I would either cab, bus, or the hop-on hop-off trolley to get you to the center of the city, and then walk from there.

Boston is a great little city, and you can just about walk anywhere. The cruise terminal is in South Boston, so the Commons is about 2 miles away, Faneuil Hall is about 4 miles (and then the North End from there). The Freedom Trail is 2.5 miles, from the Commons to the Charlestown Navy Yard. To get the most bang for your buck, I would either cab, bus, or the hop-on hop-off trolley to get you to the center of the city, and then walk from there.

How not to sound like a tourist:

Refer to.....

the Boston Common (no "s")

the Cambridge Common (no "s")

:-))

I agree about Boston. It's a long relatively uninteresting walk to get almost anywhere. The closest place is the Children's Museum, but I'm guessing the babies are really too small for that. Do you have two single strollers or a double stroller? You could probably get two single strollers on the back entrance of the the Silver Line bus to go to South Station to transfer to the Red Line to go to Park St.(Boston Common) or to the Orange Line at Downtown Crossing to go to Faneuil Hall. A cab to Faneuil Hall from the ship should be about $10.

A ship transfer would be really pricey if they charge you for four people.

Edited by 138east

How not to sound like a tourist:

Refer to.....

the Boston Common (no "s")

the Cambridge Common (no "s")

:-))

Nice!

Also, if the Common is 2 miles from the port, then Faneuil Hall must be about the same or closer. 4 miles would get you well across the Charles into Cambridge!

Nice!

Also, if the Common is 2 miles from the port, then Faneuil Hall must be about the same or closer. 4 miles would get you well across the Charles into Cambridge!

To all, a thousand apologies for not being a native Bostonian. I will correct my pronunciations.

Also, sorry about the incorrect mileage. I've done the areas described (my union hall is down a block from Black Falcon), but I use google maps to find distances, and the first time I did this, it took me all the way down to Berkeley to cross the river, don't know why, and didn't catch it until you called me out. You are correct, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is actually closer (2.0 miles vs. 2.3 miles) by the shortest routes.

Mea Culpa, but I still love Boston.

Depending on what you are looking to do, as was said, in Newport and Bar harbor, the tenders drop you off in an area that you can walk around in. Both are nice cities and you can find a few things to do. But if you want to get out of town, like to Arcadia National Park in Bar Harbor, then you need some sort of tour. In Newport, if you make your way to the visitors center, you can ride the trolley or bus to several areas that are very interesting, like the Mansions, the Cliff Walk etc. They are not complicated to do.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...
Depending on what you are looking to do, as was said, in Newport and Bar harbor, the tenders drop you off in an area that you can walk around in. Both are nice cities and you can find a few things to do. But if you want to get out of town, like to Arcadia National Park in Bar Harbor, then you need some sort of tour. In Newport, if you make your way to the visitors center, you can ride the trolley or bus to several areas that are very interesting, like the Mansions, the Cliff Walk etc. They are not complicated to do.

Cheers

Len

actually, you can take the shuttle to Acadia (since we're being picky about spelling, there's no R in Acadia) http://www.exploreacadia.com/

much cheaper than a tour