Visiting El Morro with a Late Afternoon Arrival

ILCruiser

We're also sailing on the Independence and wondering the same thing. NPS says the forts are open until 6pm with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think if we grab a taxi, we can reach one in time for a brief look around. That is my hope anyway. Would love to hear from someone who has actually tried this....

Edited by Ren1216

bouhunter is not quite right, as there are two piers in San Juan (he is talking about the "Old Pier")

and

Royal Caribbean stops at the Pan American Pier which is not 20 min walking distance but about 60 min walking distance from the Fort (if you're a good walker). A taxi takes about 15 min (depending on traffic).

So it's a tight fit as you might not leave the ship right at 4 pm and it will also take some time to get out to the taxi stands.

But if you're at the taxi stands by 4.30 pm and you get a taxi right away than you will have a good hour at El Morro, which is enough to have a look around, and it might be that they just close the entry at 6 pm, but let you wander around for some time longer....?

bouhunter is not quite right, as there are two piers in San Juan (he is talking about the "Old Pier")

and

Royal Caribbean stops at the Pan American Pier which is not 20 min walking distance but about 60 min walking distance from the Fort (if you're a good walker). A taxi takes about 15 min (depending on traffic).

I think RCL ships disembarking and embarking in SJ leave from Pan American. Day stops are in OSJ. At least that was Celebrity does, and also what I've read elsewhere here about RCL.

I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone has actually tried getting off IOS and making it to El Morro before closing.

and

So it's a tight fit as you might not leave the ship right at 4 pm and it will also take some time to get out to the taxi stands.

But if you're at the taxi stands by 4.30 pm and you get a taxi right away than you will have a good hour at El Morro, which is enough to have a look around, and it might be that they just close the entry at 6 pm, but let you wander around for some time longer....?

We were on Independence 3-4 years ago that stopped in San Juan for the day - at the pier in OLD SAN JUAN. The ships departing from San Juan for a cruise are the ones that use the Pan Am pier.

Day stops are all at the old sj pier. If you can get off relatively quickly, run across the street and catch either the free trolley (signs mark the trolley stops), or catch a cb and you will for sure be there by 4:30 at the latest, but probably sooner. Head straight up to the entrance and do the inside of the fort while open, then after closing spend time walking the grounds and outside of the fort as there is alot to see outside too. An hour to an hour and a half inside will be a good amount of time to take in most of what there is to see. You will get a very good experience in the time you have. After, depending on when the ship leaves, take a leisurely stroll back down to the port. It is all downhill so easy walking and there is much in terms of culture and ambience to take in. Plazas, restaurants, music, shopping, architecture. .......all fun to experience. Very easy to navigate old san juan. Have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app