Dumb question......

RoperDK

Were doing a partial on the Caribbean Princess in 10/17. The fact that the ship is going thru the new locks is prominently featured on the Princess website. You should call Carnival and ask. For what it's worth, we've been through the old locks several times and it was a great experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Zooguy

How can you tell if your cruise ship is going through the old or new locks? We are booked on the Carnival Miracle for April of 2018 on a partial transit. It is a panamax size ship. Thanks is advance.

The Miracle will use the old locks...that is what Panamax means...it will fit.

I have heard "neopanamax" in referring to ships that need to use the new locks.

If your ship just barely fits in the locks you are in an old lock. We transited the Canal in 2014 (before the new locks were completed) on the Carnival Legend and there was only about a 12" - 18" clearance on each side. Also, if they use mules (their term for electric locomotives) to keep your ship centered in the locks, you are in an old lock. The new locks don't use mules. Enjoy your cruise, the Panama Canal is an awesome experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I participated on another thread where Carnival's brand ambassador John Heald may have added to the possibility that the Miracle would be using the new locks. He stated that when the Miracle and Splendor swap coasts they would use the new locks. I think he may have misspoke and the Miracle will use the old locks during the swap. Regarding your partial transit I feel confident that you would use the old locks. Anyway, all the info posted previously will tell you which locks you are using and I throw in a couple more indicators. Old locks on the Atlantic side are Gatun Locks and new locks on that side are Agua Clara Locks. Gatun Locks has two lanes for ships while Agua Clara Locks only has one ship lane.