First time here-what to do for Mitsugirly

mitsugirly

As much as we cruise the Caribbean, we have never been to St Lucia. I love new experiences and it's time for me to figure out what to do when we go here.

About us, for those that have not read my reviews or seen me around the boards: We are a family that thrives on the ocean and beaches! We can do nice relaxing sandy beaches or beaches that have snorkeling. If there's snorkeling right from the beach, that's better. I really don't care for the boat trips out to a reef type of snorkeling...unless you are there for another reason (like swimming with the sharks or stingrays...since you're already out there). But, I won't pay just to go out, by boat, to a reef.

We are fairly easy to please, love a beautiful beach, love if it has natural shade close to the water, but fine if not. Added plus if there's food/drinks to purchase on the beach. We aren't the type that will hang out at the beach and then leave to go to such-and-such place because they are known to have the best ______ (insert food) on the island. Nope, not us. Half the time we don't even eat while on the island unless it's included with an AI or just a snack. We wait until we get back to the ship.

We ARE NOT the type of people to go site seeing. We are not history buffs and could care less about that stuff.

We are adventurous (ziplining, cave tubing type of things), but if too strenuous with climbing, my recent (and by recent I mean over the last few years recent) "cruise weight" has caught up with me and truth be known, I wear out a little easier than I use to a few years back. Man, I must get on a diet soon. :p

So, what would you suggest for me here? Any "must see" beaches? Any terrific snorkeling from shore? Anything this place is "known for" and must do while there?

Throw your ideas at me. :)

Well, there's hundreds of posts here with what are considered "Must Sees", along with your cruise ship info about each island. Mainly, it's our iconic Pitons, waterfalls, volcano and mud baths, mineral baths, botanical gardens, etc.

St Lucia isn't known for our beaches - we're a mountainous volcanic island with smaller coves and hard to reach coves tan to black sand beaches and steep drop offs at many of them. Nothing like beaches in Barbados or USVI or such.

That said, we do have some good ones if all you want is a beach and ocean. Vigie Beach is walking distance from port, tons of natural shade, no vendors or chairs or umbrellas, just natural shade and good swimming waters. Local food and rum shacks down by entrance to airport.

Reduit Beach is typical tourist beach with chairs/umbrellas, watersports, beach bars and restaurants, beach vendors, etc. Taxi or local tour operator can take you there. Serenity TVL, Barefoot Holidays, etc. Or taxi. $30US one way.

Jalousie Beach is stunning, at the base of the iconic Pitons with walk out snorkeling, beautiful beach (although imported sand), beach bar and restaurant at the hotel there (quite expensive), free chairs available off to left side of beach and facilities. Spencer Ambrose offers a beach break tour there via speedboat and includes drink cooler and boxed lunch.

Pigeon Island up north offers ruins, hiking and small reef off the beach. Taxi is $35 one way, $7 entrance fee. Tour operators offer that along with just a taxi..

There's a fare amount of operators who offer various island highly tours that include beach time such as Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, Frank's Touring, James Touring, etc.

Good luck, enjoy your visit.

Well, there's hundreds of posts here with what are considered "Must Sees", along with your cruise ship info about each island. Mainly, it's our iconic Pitons, waterfalls, volcano and mud baths, mineral baths, botanical gardens, etc.

St Lucia isn't known for our beaches - we're a mountainous volcanic island with smaller coves and hard to reach coves tan to black sand beaches and steep drop offs at many of them. Nothing like beaches in Barbados or USVI or such.

That said, we do have some good ones if all you want is a beach and ocean. Vigie Beach is walking distance from port, tons of natural shade, no vendors or chairs or umbrellas, just natural shade and good swimming waters. Local food and rum shacks down by entrance to airport.

Reduit Beach is typical tourist beach with chairs/umbrellas, watersports, beach bars and restaurants, beach vendors, etc. Taxi or local tour operator can take you there. Serenity TVL, Barefoot Holidays, etc. Or taxi. $30US one way.

Jalousie Beach is stunning, at the base of the iconic Pitons with walk out snorkeling, beautiful beach (although imported sand), beach bar and restaurant at the hotel there (quite expensive), free chairs available off to left side of beach and facilities. Spencer Ambrose offers a beach break tour there via speedboat and includes drink cooler and boxed lunch.

Pigeon Island up north offers ruins, hiking and small reef off the beach. Taxi is $35 one way, $7 entrance fee. Tour operators offer that along with just a taxi..

There's a fare amount of operators who offer various island highly tours that include beach time such as Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, Frank's Touring, James Touring, etc.

Good luck, enjoy your visit.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. Do the cruise ships dock at Castries? (I was confused when you said you could walk to Vigie after looking it up because on google earth it showed a dock around Vieux?)

I'm really intrigued by Jalousie Beach. It looks beautiful there and just what we are looking for. I will have to check into this a little more.

As much as we cruise the Caribbean, we have never been to St Lucia. I love new experiences and it's time for me to figure out what to do when we go here.

About us, for those that have not read my reviews or seen me around the boards: We are a family that thrives on the ocean and beaches! We can do nice relaxing sandy beaches or beaches that have snorkeling. If there's snorkeling right from the beach, that's better. I really don't care for the boat trips out to a reef type of snorkeling...unless you are there for another reason (like swimming with the sharks or stingrays...since you're already out there). But, I won't pay just to go out, by boat, to a reef.

We are fairly easy to please, love a beautiful beach, love if it has natural shade close to the water, but fine if not. Added plus if there's food/drinks to purchase on the beach. We aren't the type that will hang out at the beach and then leave to go to such-and-such place because they are known to have the best ______ (insert food) on the island. Nope, not us. Half the time we don't even eat while on the island unless it's included with an AI or just a snack. We wait until we get back to the ship.

We ARE NOT the type of people to go site seeing. We are not history buffs and could care less about that stuff.

We are adventurous (ziplining, cave tubing type of things), but if too strenuous with climbing, my recent (and by recent I mean over the last few years recent) "cruise weight" has caught up with me and truth be known, I wear out a little easier than I use to a few years back. Man, I must get on a diet soon. :p

So, what would you suggest for me here? Any "must see" beaches? Any terrific snorkeling from shore? Anything this place is "known for" and must do while there?

Throw your ideas at me. :)

I saw some of your other posts for some of the other islands...did you guys book the Fascination out of San Juan? If so, you will NOT be disappointed. :D Fascination may be a smaller ship, but with this itinerary it doesn't matter since the ship was just home base for sleeping, eating, and "island hopping". We did this itinerary twice recently (Valor, May 2013; Liberty, September 2015) and would love to do it again. It is our favorite itinerary.

I have enjoyed your reviews and know how much you love beaches and snorkeling. For St. Lucia, I'd highly recommend Spencer Ambrose's "Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break", where you spend the day at the "beach between the Pitons". We also love beaches and snorkeling, and I'd seen pictures of Jalousie Beach and the snorkeling from other reviews, so that's what we wanted to do and Spencer's Beach Break was exactly what we wanted and it didn't disappoint. We did another tour with Spencer on last year's Liberty cruise, but our last stop was also Jalouise Beach where we got about 2 1/2 hours. The only snorkeling we've done has been on cruises, but I have to say that the best we've seen has been at Jalousie Beach. A lot of fish, others on both of our cruises have seen an octopus (I didn't see him), and the coral is the most colorful I've seen. The snorkeling area is roped off (for safety, as boats come and go during the day) and it's located at the base of Petit Piton. There is also a swimming section.

I did a review of our Valor cruise that has detailed information about our day in St. Lucia and the Spencer Ambrose "Jalousie Beach Break" and pictures. Attaching the link that should start on Page 10, where our tour starts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645&page=10

I actually got better pictures of the snorkeling (and more Jalousie/Sugar Beach pictures) on our most recent cruise. Disclaimer...the pictures I get snorkeling are nowhere near as clear and beautiful as the ones of yours I've seen. I need more cruises to get some more practice at that. :) Attaching the link to start at the Jalousie/Sugar Beach section and snorkeling pictures. It should start on Page 21 and those pictures start toward the bottom of the page, Post 413. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=21

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer the best I can.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks so much for the detailed information. Do the cruise ships dock at Castries? (I was confused when you said you could walk to Vigie after looking it up because on google earth it showed a dock around Vieux?)

I'm really intrigued by Jalousie Beach. It looks beautiful there and just what we are looking for. I will have to check into this a little more.

All of the major cruise ships dock in Castries. Vigie Beach is 15-20 minute walk, on the opposite side of SLU airport.

Vieux Fort is in the far south, no cruise ships dock there at all and there's no Vigie Beach in that area.

Jalousie Beach is 1.5 hours south of the port area via taxi and will run, easily, $200us r/t. Spencer Ambrose offers his tour via speedboat, about 40 minutes, and you're usually the first ones there so first pick of free beach chairs or you can rent more comfy ones from Sugar Beach Resort. Other operators offer land trips to Jalousie Beach such as Frank's, Real St Lucia Tours, James, etc...

Enjoy.

I saw some of your other posts for some of the other islands...did you guys book the Fascination out of San Juan?

Yep, that's the one we are looking at (haven't booked yet, just decided on it over the weekend).

If so, you will NOT be disappointed. I'm so glad to hear this. I'm really super nervous about flying to another country to get on the ship. This will be my first time.

Fascination may be a smaller ship, but with this itinerary it doesn't matter since the ship was just home base for sleeping, eating, and "island hopping". We did this itinerary twice recently (Valor, May 2013; Liberty, September 2015) and would love to do it again. It is our favorite itinerary. Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking!

I have enjoyed your reviews and know how much you love beaches and snorkeling. For St. Lucia, I'd highly recommend Spencer Ambrose's "Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break", where you spend the day at the "beach between the Pitons". We also love beaches and snorkeling, and I'd seen pictures of Jalousie Beach and the snorkeling from other reviews, so that's what we wanted to do and Spencer's Beach Break was exactly what we wanted and it didn't disappoint. I found your review late last night and was like "I GOTTA GO THERE!!" I was hoping you would chime in, even though I got the feeling you liked this place just from skimming over your pictures and the snorkeling...wow! I'm going to go back and read it all the way through later tonight when I have more time.

We did another tour with Spencer on last year's Liberty cruise, but our last stop was also Jalouise Beach where we got about 2 1/2 hours. The only snorkeling we've done has been on cruises, but I have to say that the best we've seen has been at Jalousie Beach. A lot of fish, others on both of our cruises have seen an octopus (I didn't see him), and the coral is the most colorful I've seen. The snorkeling area is roped off (for safety, as boats come and go during the day) and it's located at the base of Petit Piton. There is also a swimming section. That sounds awesome. I did enjoy skimming your snorkeling pictures. It looked like a great place to go. I'm going to have to read up on this "Piton" thing because I have no idea what that is except you mentioned something about a volcano I think when I was skimming your review. I think the most colorful snorkeling I have found to date when cruising (which is the only snorkeling I have done as well) is at Coki in St Thomas. I honestly could not get over the colors and especially the purple and orange. Just amazing! I have a feeling I'm going to be amazed by this place too. :D

I did a review of our Valor cruise that has detailed information about our day in St. Lucia and the Spencer Ambrose "Jalousie Beach Break" and pictures. Attaching the link that should start on Page 10, where our tour starts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645&page=10

I actually got better pictures of the snorkeling (and more Jalousie/Sugar Beach pictures) on our most recent cruise. Disclaimer...the pictures I get snorkeling are nowhere near as clear and beautiful as the ones of yours I've seen. I need more cruises to get some more practice at that. I agree about the more cruises in order to get practice...that's always my excuse too. :D :o

Attaching the link to start at the Jalousie/Sugar Beach section and snorkeling pictures. It should start on Page 21 and those pictures start toward the bottom of the page, Post 413. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=21

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer the best I can.

You are AWESOME and I'm so glad you chimed in my friend! You have been a lot of help and I might have more questions after I thoroughly read both of your reviews. :D

All of the major cruise ships dock in Castries. Vigie Beach is 15-20 minute walk, on the opposite side of SLU airport.

Vieux Fort is in the far south, no cruise ships dock there at all and there's no Vigie Beach in that area.

Jalousie Beach is 1.5 hours south of the port area via taxi and will run, easily, $200us r/t. Spencer Ambrose offers his tour via speedboat, about 40 minutes, and you're usually the first ones there so first pick of free beach chairs or you can rent more comfy ones from Sugar Beach Resort. Other operators offer land trips to Jalousie Beach such as Frank's, Real St Lucia Tours, James, etc...

Enjoy.

1.5 HOURS??? :eek: From the port? Seriously? Is that by car or something?

Yes, I would definitely have to do the speed boat. :D

1.5 HOURS??? :eek: From the port? Seriously? Is that by car or something?

Yes, I would definitely have to do the speed boat. :D

Yes, as I noted, that is via taxi aka car. We're a mountainous island, and it takes quite a while to drive around given the up, down, back and forth... It's approximately 40-45 minutes by speedboat.

I'm really super nervous about flying to another country to get on the ship. This will be my first time.

As far as "flying to a different country" to begin a cruise - umm, last I checked, San Juan, Puerto Rico was part of the US. US Citizens don't need a passport to visit, as it's US territory, uses US dollars, etc... US Citizens can do closed loop cruises using just passport for most cruises from their, just like ports on the mainland, etc.. Just thought I'd reassure you there. San Juan is not another country....

Happy sails!

Edited by reedprincess

Yes, as I noted, that is via taxi aka car. We're a mountainous island, and it takes quite a while to drive around given the up, down, back and forth... It's approximately 40-45 minutes by speedboat.

As far as "flying to a different country" to begin a cruise - umm, last I checked, San Juan, Puerto Rico was part of the US. US Citizens don't need a passport to visit, as it's US territory, uses US dollars, etc... US Citizens can do closed loop cruises using just passport for most cruises from their, just like ports on the mainland, etc.. Just thought I'd reassure you there. San Juan is not another country....

Happy sails!

Oops, I must have not caught the taxi part when I was reading. My heart dropped, but that makes sense with the mountains and all. :)

My apologies, I shouldn't have worded it that way "flying to a different country". I meant out of the United States itself...over seas, however you want to word it. It still feels like a million miles away and the "unknown" when going so far and I have never done that. I have friends from PR, so I did know that it's US territory. I'm sorry. :(

But I really appreciate your help! :)

Oops, I must have not caught the taxi part when I was reading. My heart dropped, but that makes sense with the mountains and all. :)

My apologies, I shouldn't have worded it that way "flying to a different country". I meant out of the United States itself...over seas, however you want to word it. It still feels like a million miles away and the "unknown" when going so far and I have never done that. I have friends from PR, so I did know that it's US territory. I'm sorry. :(

But I really appreciate your help! :)

Flying to Sn Juan is no different than flying to Florida. same exact procedures, etc as it's all one country. A little longer flight, but exactly rhe same as flying to Florida or California or anywhere else in USA....so, really, no "unknowns". everyone speaks English, Starbucks and McDonald's are still everywhere, etc.. If you've flown to Florida, then you already know exactly What it will be like. No worries.

Enjoy your sailing....

I do hope you book this one cause I'd love to read your review! Glad my information was helpful to you. The Pitons are two volcanic plugs and the most photographed mountains in St. Lucia. Many people think of them when they think of St. Lucia. Jalousie Beach is right between them. The snorkeling area is at the base of Petit Piton (the closest one in attached picture). That's what makes the snorkeling really cool. It's shallow and rocky with all kinds of cool crevices full of fish, corals, etc. This area is where others saw the octopus. It then gets deeper the farther you go from the base, but there is still some really cool coral and fish. I do need more cruises so I can get more practice with pictures of the fish...the little buggers move. Coral is easy, it stays put. :D

The Pitons (Petit Piton on the left; Gros Piton on the right):

IMG_9744-1.jpg

I'll try to ease your worries about flying into San Juan. We've done it three times now (first was in 1992, but it was easy from what I remember). It's a smaller airport and very easy to get around. As reedprincess mentioned, it's just like flying into FL, just a longer flight. We've flown down the day before on our most recent cruises out of San Juan and have gotten early enough flights that we've gotten down there, cabbed it to the hotel, and had our toes in the water and arses in the sand by 1PM where we just enjoyed that beach for the whole afternoon. Whether your flying down day of or a day or two before the cruise, getting a cab is very easy and they have set rates. There is a taxi queue just outside of baggage claim that moves quickly, very convenient.

One tip since you like getting pictures. Whether a direct or if you have a connection, which ever flight you're on when actually getting into San Juan...you'll want a window seat on the left side of the plane. When flying in, you should be able to see the forts, cruise ship piers and Old San Juan, and the ocean. Gorgeous views.

If you have any questions with anything else about this itinerary, please feel free to ask. And thank you about letting me know about Coki Beach in St. Thomas. Never been. I'm going to go through your pictures again. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I do hope you book this one cause I'd love to read your review! Glad my information was helpful to you. The Pitons are two volcanic plugs and the most photographed mountains in St. Lucia. Many people think of them when they think of St. Lucia. Jalousie Beach is right between them. The snorkeling area is at the base of Petit Piton (the closest one in attached picture). That's what makes the snorkeling really cool. It's shallow and rocky with all kinds of cool crevices full of fish, corals, etc. This area is where others saw the octopus. It then gets deeper the farther you go from the base, but there is still some really cool coral and fish. I do need more cruises so I can get more practice with pictures of the fish...the little buggers move. Coral is easy, it stays put. :D

The Pitons (Petit Piton on the left; Gros Piton on the right):

IMG_9744-1.jpg

I'll try to ease your worries about flying into San Juan. We've done it three times now (first was in 1992, but it was easy from what I remember). It's a smaller airport and very easy to get around. As reedprincess mentioned, it's just like flying into FL, just a longer flight. We've flown down the day before on our most recent cruises out of San Juan and have gotten early enough flights that we've gotten down there, cabbed it to the hotel, and had our toes in the water and arses in the sand by 1PM where we just enjoyed that beach for the whole afternoon. Whether your flying down day of or a day or two before the cruise, getting a cab is very easy and they have set rates. There is a taxi queue just outside of baggage claim that moves quickly, very convenient.

One tip since you like getting pictures. Whether a direct or if you have a connection, which ever flight you're on when actually getting into San Juan...you'll want a window seat on the left side of the plane. When flying in, you should be able to see the forts, cruise ship piers and Old San Juan, and the ocean. Gorgeous views.

If you have any questions with anything else about this itinerary, please feel free to ask. And thank you about letting me know about Coki Beach in St. Thomas. Never been. I'm going to go through your pictures again. :)

Thanks for even more info. You rock!

I still don't know what a volcano "plug" is, but I'm going to look that up. LOL

"the fish...the little buggers move. Coral is easy, it stays put." I am totally cracking up. :D :p

When you went to San Juan, where did you stay? Any suggestions? What beach did you head to once you got there and how did you get there? On my last cruise I was going to head to one of the Blue Flag beaches and then last minute decided not to go because I believe it wasn't a good time to go with no vendors or transportation and we were going to be there so late. I may end up trying to go there this time around since we won't be on a time frame.

Oh my gosh, thanks SO MUCH for the tip on where to sit at on the way down. We always fly SW, so I will have to make sure we get good seats on the left side! Gotta get those pictures. :p

(Definitely head to Coki for some awesome snorkeling. It has been some of the most colorful coral I have seen on any cruise to date!).

We spent the day with Spencer and his daughter and travelled by speed boat around to Jalousie Beach. Fabulous day! Lunch is included in this excursion. It is provided as a box lunch from a local restaurant - authentic, plentiful and very tasty.

We spent the day with Spencer and his daughter and travelled by speed boat around to Jalousie Beach. Fabulous day! Lunch is included in this excursion. It is provided as a box lunch from a local restaurant - authentic, plentiful and very tasty.

Thanks for your input.

I'm definitely going to book this! It looks like a fabulous day!

Thanks for even more info. You rock!

I still don't know what a volcano "plug" is, but I'm going to look that up. LOL

"the fish...the little buggers move. Coral is easy, it stays put." I am totally cracking up. :D :p

When you went to San Juan, where did you stay? Any suggestions? What beach did you head to once you got there and how did you get there? On my last cruise I was going to head to one of the Blue Flag beaches and then last minute decided not to go because I believe it wasn't a good time to go with no vendors or transportation and we were going to be there so late. I may end up trying to go there this time around since we won't be on a time frame.

Oh my gosh, thanks SO MUCH for the tip on where to sit at on the way down. We always fly SW, so I will have to make sure we get good seats on the left side! Gotta get those pictures. :p

(Definitely head to Coki for some awesome snorkeling. It has been some of the most colorful coral I have seen on any cruise to date!).

Volcano plug...I have no clue either! LOL!!! I just knew that's what they were refereed to and I looked it up again yesterday to make sure I wasn't hearing things. :D Reedprincess...is that one you can answer that one for us?

Hotel in San Juan. We stayed at the Courtyard Isla Verde, both times, and will not hesitate to stay there again as it's perfect for us and what we want. The main reason we chose the Courtyard was because of location (on the beach, a must) and price (a lot less than some of the other hotels closer to the cruise pier). It's right near the airport (basically across the road) and right on Isla Verde Beach, which is a nice wide beach. Once we got a cab from the airport, it was only a five minute ride. Both times we got there between 12:30PM and 1PM, and both times the rooms were ready and it's clean - also a must. The staff is friendly, they have restaurants on site, and a casino. Outdoors, the beach is just steps away, loungers and umbrellas on the beach, they have a beautiful pool (even at night) and bar service on the beach, and nice hammocks up close to the building. The only downside, for some, is that it's not close to Old Town San Juan and is a 20 minute taxi ride to the cruise pier. They do have cabs waiting at the hotel. We didn't have to be near Old San Juan since we just wanted the beach and knew we'd be tired after early flights anyway. Those early flights were our choice since we wanted time to spend the afternoon on the beach. Checkout is at noon, but we've left before that both times and have gotten to the cruise pier before noon.

Here's that review again if you'd like to see pictures of the hotel (interior and exterior of the grounds, beach, and I got a lot of pictures of the pool area this time (forgot to before our Valor cruise) during the day and at night. The pictures of the hotel start at the top of Page 2, which hopefully this link will open to. If you're interested in some of the airplane views flying into San Juan, Page 1, Post #13. We did get an upgrade this time to a junior suite. I think they took pity on us because DH's luggage was lost. Long story, but he knows now to pack more than travel documents, cameras, magazine in his carry-on. The other rooms do have decent ocean views though, we were in one on our Valor cruise and had no complaints about the views and that's what we originally had booked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=2

Again, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I'm going to have to toss in another vote for Spencer Ambrose lol. My mom, sister and I went in a tour with him to Jalousie beach back in September, and it was FANTASTIC! His crew always makes sure you are well taken care of, and are very friendly. Jalousie beach is truly stunning nestled in between the pitons. Granted, the "free" section of chairs is tiny, you can plop a towel down elsewhere ( the resort chairs run from $20 -$50 each). The lunch they provide is tasty, and they also have various beverages included, their rum punch is delicious btw lol. Have fun in St. Lucia, it's a gorgeous island :D

Volcano plug...I have no clue either! LOL!!! I just knew that's what they were refereed to and I looked it up again yesterday to make sure I wasn't hearing things. :D Reedprincess...is that one you can answer that one for us?

Hotel in San Juan. We stayed at the Courtyard Isla Verde, both times, and will not hesitate to stay there again as it's perfect for us and what we want. The main reason we chose the Courtyard was because of location (on the beach, a must) and price (a lot less than some of the other hotels closer to the cruise pier). It's right near the airport (basically across the road) and right on Isla Verde Beach, which is a nice wide beach. Once we got a cab from the airport, it was only a five minute ride. Both times we got there between 12:30PM and 1PM, and both times the rooms were ready and it's clean - also a must. The staff is friendly, they have restaurants on site, and a casino. Outdoors, the beach is just steps away, loungers and umbrellas on the beach, they have a beautiful pool (even at night) and bar service on the beach, and nice hammocks up close to the building. The only downside, for some, is that it's not close to Old Town San Juan and is a 20 minute taxi ride to the cruise pier. They do have cabs waiting at the hotel. We didn't have to be near Old San Juan since we just wanted the beach and knew we'd be tired after early flights anyway. Those early flights were our choice since we wanted time to spend the afternoon on the beach. Checkout is at noon, but we've left before that both times and have gotten to the cruise pier before noon.

Here's that review again if you'd like to see pictures of the hotel (interior and exterior of the grounds, beach, and I got a lot of pictures of the pool area this time (forgot to before our Valor cruise) during the day and at night. The pictures of the hotel start at the top of Page 2, which hopefully this link will open to. If you're interested in some of the airplane views flying into San Juan, Page 1, Post #13. We did get an upgrade this time to a junior suite. I think they took pity on us because DH's luggage was lost. Long story, but he knows now to pack more than travel documents, cameras, magazine in his carry-on. The other rooms do have decent ocean views though, we were in one on our Valor cruise and had no complaints about the views and that's what we originally had booked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=2

Again, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer. :)

That place looks gorgeous! It's a little expensive, but I just may have to check in to this a little more and weigh the differences. How much does it cost to grab a taxi to OSJ? I really wanted to go there and walk around since we didn't get to last time. But staying on the beach (and I believe it's the beach I had planned on visiting last time we were here) would be an added plus.

Did you find the ocean to be really rough in that area?

After reading both of your reviews about St Lucia, I'm actually really torn with which tour to do with Spencer Ambrose. I'm not a "toury" type of girl, but loved that you got to see the banana farm and the misty "stuff" coming up from the volcano thingy in the ground. Those kind of things I do like. I would REALLY like to do the mud bath thing as well. That would be so cool and make for some good pictures too! :D I'll really have to think this one over...OR just make sure I book another cruise that goes to St Lucia again and do them both. :p

I'm going to have to toss in another vote for Spencer Ambrose lol. My mom, sister and I went in a tour with him to Jalousie beach back in September, and it was FANTASTIC! His crew always makes sure you are well taken care of, and are very friendly. Jalousie beach is truly stunning nestled in between the pitons. Granted, the "free" section of chairs is tiny, you can plop a towel down elsewhere ( the resort chairs run from $20 -$50 each). The lunch they provide is tasty, and they also have various beverages included, their rum punch is delicious btw lol. Have fun in St. Lucia, it's a gorgeous island :D

You guys definitely have me convinced! :)

That place looks gorgeous! It's a little expensive, but I just may have to check in to this a little more and weigh the differences. How much does it cost to grab a taxi to OSJ? I really wanted to go there and walk around since we didn't get to last time. But staying on the beach (and I believe it's the beach I had planned on visiting last time we were here) would be an added plus.

Did you find the ocean to be really rough in that area?

It is gorgeous and is a little pricey, but not near as pricey as some of the others in the Condado area, close to Old San Juan. Since the 2013 Valor cruise was our first time staying in San Juan, we wanted a hotel with a brand name (and reputation) that we were familiar with and we both also wanted to be on the beach. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but cleanliness is important and we knew a "name brand" would be (should be) clean, it is. Since the beach was what we wanted, we found the prices of hotels in the Isla Verde area were more of what we were willing to spend. There are many hotels, even some name brand, not directly on the beach but close enough to walk, that are probably a little less expensive. Believe it or not, I actually happened to find this Courtyard by looking at Google Maps! LOL!!!

The water: In 2013 (May) it was a little rough, but not what I'd consider dangerously rough. It was very similar to the water at the beaches of North and South Carolina (Nags Head, Myrtle Beach). There were a lot of families and kids were playing in it. Good for boogie boarding or body surfing. On our most recent cruise last September, the water was pretty flat, very calm with smaller waves lapping at the shore. The surf did pick up a little later in the afternoon, but it wasn't heavy and just enough waves so that it wasn't "boring". Since San Juan beaches are on the north side, the water can get choppier than the actual Caribbean. The beaches further to the east (Luquillo) are calmer, but that's pretty far out, about 45 minutes I think.

Taxi rates: It was $19.00 from hotel (or airport) to cruise piers (Zone 4). There is a $1.00 charge per suitcase and a $2.00 "fuel charge". I found the link to the website with the taxi fares and zone descriptions: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Both times we just grabbed a taxi to the cruise terminal as soon as we checked out of the hotel, dropped our luggage off with porters, checked-in then get back off the ship to walk around Old San Juan since there is plenty of time since back on board time is 8:30PM. Great opportunities for pictures of the ship lit up at night too.

After reading both of your reviews about St Lucia, I'm actually really torn with which tour to do with Spencer Ambrose. I'm not a "toury" type of girl, but loved that you got to see the banana farm and the misty "stuff" coming up from the volcano thingy in the ground. Those kind of things I do like. I would REALLY like to do the mud bath thing as well. That would be so cool and make for some good pictures too! :D I'll really have to think this one over...OR just make sure I book another cruise that goes to St Lucia again and do them both. :p

I really did enjoy both tours we did with Spencer. On our most recent land/sea tour, there was kind of a lack of interest in the banana farm, so we never actually got out of the vans (air conditioned). :p We had the choice of either the volcano or the mud baths and every single person on our tour wanted to see the volcano, so no one did the mud baths!!! I wouldn't mind doing the mud baths next time. But this time, we really wanted to see that volcano, I've always wanted to see (and smell) one, up close. I couldn't capture it in pictures, but DH got video...those darker pools are actually boiling which you'll be able to see, in addition the steam. The great thing about the land/sea now is that they take you directly to Soufriere by speedboat, so that eliminates a lot of the time it used to take to get there by vehicle, so we still had 2 1/2 hours at the beach. And a side note, Spencer, his daughter Shequana, and all of their crew have been wonderful both times.

I don't know if you'd be interested or not, but have you heard of Montserrat, the island that had it's volcano erupt in 1995 and has erupted a few times since? We passed it on the morning we sailed into St. Kitts from St. Lucia. It was to the right of Nevis, which was directly in front of us at sunrise. I could get a good view of Montserrat with the zoom lens on my camera and got pictures. At first I thought it was clouds above it, but after viewing the pictures on the computer, some of that was steam/smoke coming out of that volcano. So cool.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Yes, the Pitons are volcanic plugs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_plug

Hope that helps!

I knew you'd be the one to help with this one. :D Yes, that does help. I was wondering if it was something like that (lava hardning), but wasn't sure. When we were actually at the drive-in volcano last year, we were told that that whole area, not just the area the steam was coming from, was the caldera...so we were literally standing in the caldera of a volcano. Thank you for the link.

It is gorgeous and is a little pricey, but not near as pricey as some of the others in the Condado area, close to Old San Juan. Since the 2013 Valor cruise was our first time staying in San Juan, we wanted a hotel with a brand name (and reputation) that we were familiar with and we both also wanted to be on the beach. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but cleanliness is important and we knew a "name brand" would be (should be) clean, it is. Since the beach was what we wanted, we found the prices of hotels in the Isla Verde area were more of what we were willing to spend. There are many hotels, even some name brand, not directly on the beach but close enough to walk, that are probably a little less expensive. Believe it or not, I actually happened to find this Courtyard by looking at Google Maps! LOL!!!

I like the location of this place. It's right there on the beach that I wanted to go to on our last cruise. From the pictures that I had seen online, the beach looked just like a place we would love. But, I somehow decided to go to Numero Uno (Pamelas) due to another suggestion of liking the place and then being convinced that during certain times of the year there is no vendors or anything at Balneario Carolina Beach or Isla Verde area and decided against it. If my hotel is right across the street...no worries either way. :D

Google Maps :p I use Google Earth for even a better experience! :D

I have so many push pin marks on my maps it's hilarious! I mark everything and compare the areas.

The water: In 2013 (May) it was a little rough, but not what I'd consider dangerously rough. It was very similar to the water at the beaches of North and South Carolina (Nags Head, Myrtle Beach). There were a lot of families and kids were playing in it. Good for boogie boarding or body surfing. On our most recent cruise last September, the water was pretty flat, very calm with smaller waves lapping at the shore. The surf did pick up a little later in the afternoon, but it wasn't heavy and just enough waves so that it wasn't "boring". Since San Juan beaches are on the north side, the water can get choppier than the actual Caribbean. The beaches further to the east (Luquillo) are calmer, but that's pretty far out, about 45 minutes I think.

Since we are going in August, hopefully we'll have a similar experience as you with the pretty calm waters. While I love some waves every so often, it just kinda freaks me out a little with Sakari still. (Although she don't care one way or another).

Luquillo Beach :eek:

That places looks GORGEOUS!!! Wow, now that's what I like. I wish it wasn't so far away. Maybe I need to stay 3 nights in SJ instead of 2. LOL No, seriously!

I wonder what the possibility is of getting a hotel around that area, going to Luquillo for the day, the bio bay at night, then the next morning moving to the hotel at Isla? Hmmm....

Taxi rates: It was $19.00 from hotel (or airport) to cruise piers (Zone 4). There is a $1.00 charge per suitcase and a $2.00 "fuel charge". I found the link to the website with the taxi fares and zone descriptions: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/ge...round-by-taxi/

Thanks for this info. I'm trying to figure it out. Is this per taxi or per person??

The airport (zone 1) to hotel at Isla Verda (zone 2) is going to be a $10 ride (plus luggage and surcharge).

Then the cruise port is considered Zone 4 right? And the hotel at Isla Verda is considered Zone 2 So $19. This would be the same if I'm just going to San Juan for the day to explore correct?

I'm not sure where I find rates for going from hotel to the area for the bio bay at Fajardo. :confused:

Both times we just grabbed a taxi to the cruise terminal as soon as we checked out of the hotel, dropped our luggage off with porters, checked-in then get back off the ship to walk around Old San Juan since there is plenty of time since back on board time is 8:30PM. Great opportunities for pictures of the ship lit up at night too.

So wait, you are allowed to drop your luggage off with the porters early the morning of the cruise and then leave? Or wait, you can drop them off, check in early, get on the ship, then leave and come back? Like there's no one on the ship from the previous cruise? What time can you do this in the morning? That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea and a great way to see OSJ instead of making an extra trip there during our stay.

I really did enjoy both tours we did with Spencer. On our most recent land/sea tour, there was kind of a lack of interest in the banana farm, so we never actually got out of the vans (air conditioned). We had the choice of either the volcano or the mud baths and every single person on our tour wanted to see the volcano, so no one did the mud baths!!! I wouldn't mind doing the mud baths next time. But this time, we really wanted to see that volcano, I've always wanted to see (and smell) one, up close. I couldn't capture it in pictures, but DH got video...those darker pools are actually boiling which you'll be able to see, in addition the steam. The great thing about the land/sea now is that they take you directly to Soufriere by speedboat, so that eliminates a lot of the time it used to take to get there by vehicle, so we still had 2 1/2 hours at the beach. And a side note, Spencer, his daughter Shequana, and all of their crew have been wonderful both times.

Maybe we'll just do the beach first and then this will convince me to come back and try again at another date. I'm so super excited about this cruise. I haven't felt this excited about visiting a new port since I was when we booked the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore and hit new ports (Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk).

I don't know if you'd be interested or not, but have you heard of Montserrat, the island that had it's volcano erupt in 1995 and has erupted a few times since? We passed it on the morning we sailed into St. Kitts from St. Lucia. It was to the right of Nevis, which was directly in front of us at sunrise. I could get a good view of Montserrat with the zoom lens on my camera and got pictures. At first I thought it was clouds above it, but after viewing the pictures on the computer, some of that was steam/smoke coming out of that volcano. So cool.

I have not heard of Montserrat. I know that when I'm sailing and see other islands, I'm at a complete loss as to what they are or where I'm at. LOL I call my hubby my personal GPS because I'm always lost...even on the ship. :o

Yes, the Pitons are volcanic plugs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_plug

Hope that helps!

My question was what is a plug? A volcano that has been plugged with something? LOL

But I did read up on it to discover what it really meant and how it happens prior to posting to get a better idea.

When I thought of "plug" I thought maybe it's an old volcano that is now under water and this was "plugged" somehow and that's what remains above water that you see. :o :eek: I had no idea what this terminology consisted of. :cool:

Oops, my bad. It is Google Earth I use (the satellite views). :o

The water, totally understandable with Sakari. Unless there's a storm out there, I think it's generally calmer later in the summer. We had the best weather and calmest water last September and it was smack in the middle of hurricane season.

Our friends that we met through CC and also on our sailing (Liberty, last September) actually stayed at Luquillo Beach. They rented a condo there. They flew in the Wednesday prior to the cruise and rented a car and drove. I don't know how much a taxi would cost or even if they went out that way. She did a review too. Valentinebaby1 is her CC name. I'm not positive since it's been a while but I can't remember if they did the bio bay or not. She also did a review of their Valor cruise (October 2013), and that time they flew in a few days early and stayed at the Courtyard. They rented a car and that's when they discovered Luquillo. It is gorgeous, I'd love to do it sometime. I wanted to this time, but DH had only been in his current job a year, so he didn't have enough vacation time to take extra days (another excuse for another cruise). But I'm sure you can find a hotel there for one night to do the beach and bio bay.

Is this per taxi or per person?? It's per taxi

The airport (zone 1) to hotel at Isla Verda (zone 2) is going to be a $10 ride (plus luggage and surcharge). Yes, that's correct.

Then the cruise port is considered Zone 4 right? Yes. And the hotel at Isla Verda is considered Zone 2 So $19. Yes. This would be the same if I'm just going to San Juan for the day to explore correct? Yes, correct.

I'm not sure where I find rates for going from hotel to the area for the bio bay at Fajardo. :confused: Wish I could help there. Our friends rented a car to get there.

So wait, you are allowed to drop your luggage off with the porters early the morning of the cruise and then leave? Or wait, you can drop them off, check in early, get on the ship, then leave and come back? Like there's no one on the ship from the previous cruise? What time can you do this in the morning? That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea and a great way to see OSJ instead of making an extra trip there during our stay.

Yes to both. But when you can get on the ship can vary. They tell you not to show up before 2:30PM, but for both Valor and Liberty, we showed up early but had a different experience each time. But you can even get there early, drop luggage off with porters and head back out to explore Old San Juan, then come back and check in later.

Valor cruise, 2013: Arrived at pier at noon, dropped suitcases off, checked in, went through security, and were up on Lido for something to eat and a Funship Special in hand a half hour later. We did have to wait till 1:30 to get into the cabin, but once we did, we got back off the ship and headed out.

Liberty cruise, 2015: We did receive email from Carnival telling us not to arrive before 2:30PM. I ignored it. :p We got to the pier shortly after 11:00AM and noticed passengers from previous sailing still getting off the ship. We handed our luggage to the porters, met up with "social network" roll call group, got in line and checked in. That went smoothly, but we were told that boarding was delayed. :eek: We all just decided to wait since we had carry-on luggage and yes, sat on the floor and waited. They let us board close to 2PM. Cabin ready, dropped carry on luggage off, got something to eat/drink on Lido with the group and all headed back out. We could have just checked in and headed right back out to explored Old San Juan then, but just didn't. We did have enough time to do what we wanted to though.

I don't know the actual reason for delayed boarding (we heard a couple of different reasons), but I know for a fact Liberty was not late coming in (Liberty was sailing back from her first full cruise after the engine fire). I kept waking up the night before, once between 4:30 and 5AM (I knew ships come back in between 5:30 & 6AM since that's when we got back in on Valor), went to the window and what did I see? Liberty coming back in, so the ship was on time.

The other islands...Google earth helped with that too and I can also remember from our very first cruise in 1992 on Festival. Similar itinerary out of San Juan. Last day was a sea day and in the Capers (now Fun Times), they had a list of islands we'd be passing during the day and what time we'd pass them. The first one after daybreak was Montserrat (missed it), but saw the others. I still have that copy, believe it or not. That is the only way I know. Well, that and the ship location channel on the cabin TV.

I wish we were doing this cruise again. That itinerary, to me, will never get old. So much to see and do and a lot of it you can do on your own. Believe it or not, we booked our Liberty cruise last 4th of July before heading to the annual party. Wish we we booking it again.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We are going on this cruise in June. I have a reservation at Sheraton Old San Juan (Flexible rate w/ breakfast $191 + tax and resort fees/night. This hotel comes highly recommended. You can walk to the port from hotel and see the sights in Old San Juan for the night before the cruise. and Embassy Suites Hilton Dorado Del Mar Beach Resort ($143 night + tax and resort fee) for post cruise 2 days or Condato Plaza Hilton (161 + tax and resort fees/night.

The Hilton hotels are from the MVP site http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/ if you haven't booked thru them and the Sheraton from their sight. I don't know about anyone else, but this far out I am only booking refundable rates and prefer rates that you actually don't pay for until you are there.

I know your family is into beaches, but I had the BEST excursion in St. Lucia a couple years ago visiting Lushan Country Life: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147343-d1467576-Reviews-Lushan_Country_Life_Tours-Castries_Castries_Quarter_St_Lucia.html

You get a full cultural experience where you walkabout their plants, taste their food, and explore the forest with a guide. It doesn't take more than an hour to go through and is a great experience.

Our friends that we met through CC and also on our sailing (Liberty, last September) actually stayed at Luquillo Beach. They rented a condo there.

Valentinebaby1 is her CC name.

She also did a review of their Valor cruise (October 2013), and that time they flew in a few days early and stayed at the Courtyard.

Thanks so much for all the information and answering my questions. You are such a big help. I love these boards and people on them! :)

I will definitely check our Valentinebaby1's reviews and see if I can find out where they stayed and any info. Thanks so much for that!

We are going on this cruise in June. I have a reservation at Sheraton Old San Juan (Flexible rate w/ breakfast $191 + tax and resort fees/night. This hotel comes highly recommended. You can walk to the port from hotel and see the sights in Old San Juan for the night before the cruise. and Embassy Suites Hilton Dorado Del Mar Beach Resort ($143 night + tax and resort fee) for post cruise 2 days or Condato Plaza Hilton (161 + tax and resort fees/night.

The Hilton hotels are from the MVP site http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/ if you haven't booked thru them and the Sheraton from their sight. I don't know about anyone else, but this far out I am only booking refundable rates and prefer rates that you actually don't pay for until you are there.

Thanks for the info. I don't think these particular hotels are going to meet my needs for what I'm looking for this time around. I believe we have probably ruled out anything in OSJ because since I found out that we can drop our luggage at the ship and then head back out to explore OSJ before we have to be on board later in the evening, I think that's how we'll explore there.

Embassyin Dorado is the opposite direction of where I'm wanting to go (Isla Verde beach area and then also the bio bay). So don't really want to go that route because it would cost more in taxi fees.

I don't think the Condato is far enough out of SJ, or maybe I should say "close enough" to the beach at Isla Verde and Balneario Carolina area.

But thanks for your thoughts and help. Do you know of or can suggest any hotels around the area that I'm looking for? Or even the area close to Luqillo?