Snorkeling for non-swimmers?

jalinga

My family (of 4) will be passing by Grand Turk on our upcoming cruise with Carnival and I wanted to sign us up all to a snorkeling excursion through the company. Three of us are pretty good swimmers except for my mother who's never taken swimming lessons and who's not even capable of floating on the water. I know the life vest takes care of the floating and all you need to do is to put ur face under water, breathe through the tube and paddle but for someone who has no swimming skills whatsoever, how easy will it be for them to snorkel the first time of their life?

The idea of being thrown into the middle of the ocean and being in deep water freaks her out already which makes me wonder if it's a good idea to bring her along. Has anyone tried snorkeling that is a non-swimmer or do you have any advice on the subject?

Here's something from, the FAQ page for a Florida Keys snorkel boat:

What do I need to bring on the snorkeling tour?

The most important thing to bring is an ability to swim. The crew conducts a

"how to snorkel" class on the boat for those who have never snorkeled, but

you do need to be able to swim. We provide you with a safety vest (Our

Insurance companies require them to be worn at all times in the water)

It is a SAFETY VEST ..... if you use it to take the place of the ability to swim, you no longer have a 'safety' device . . . .

If you can not swim .... take showers, and stay away from water deeper than your knees

Long LONG time lifeguard sends this

Very good advice there.

If she can't swim, and is scared to even think about it, then she will likely be terrified and not enjoy it. And honestly it will reduce the enjoyment for you and the others. No one wins.

Honestly, it seems like your mom will enjoy Grand Turk more shopping and enjoying the beach.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I am an excellent swimmer, and snorkeling freaked me out for years. The mask on my face was incredibly difficult to deal with, because I was a nose breather.

Please, do not take a non-swimmer snorkeling. The safety vest is NOT a lifejacket. It's flotation assistance, it isn't going to save your life. It's designed so that you can wear it and float -face down- in the water, just providing a little bit of bouyancy to non-floaters. Most are blown up manually (so that they can also be deflated if you want to dive), and a small leak would render it useless.

A non-swimmer, in deep water, with ocean waves (even calm ones) is a bad idea.

Propelling yourself while snorkeling takes swimming skills. She could dunk her head in the water (if doesn't have a panic attack just being in deep water) and watch whatever is below her, but most people who snorkel dive to see things up closer, or kick and swim to other locations.

I'd learn to swim, then learn to snorkel.

The staff most likely aren't lifeguards. It is probably very likely she would be fine- but it would be a tragedy if she wasn't and you went in knowing she was unprepared to deal with deep water.

I "forced" my husband on two snorkling tours (St. Maarten & St. Thomas), he can swim but is not a very strong swimmer and usually prefers to swim close to the edge of the pool. Even though he had the west, the first snorkling stop was quite difficult for him and I was pretty much pulling him around (it didn't help that the glass fell out of the mask about 2 minutes into it). He didn't manage to relax in the water until the second tour.

If the idea of snorkling freaks her out, don't make her. If you find a nice tour, the boat trip alone might be interesting enough for her, she might gladly stay on board while the three of you snorkle. My husband didn't join us for the last swim to the beach on the St. Martin tour and stayed on the boat, they offered to take him on the dinghy but didn't mind him not wanting to go to the beach at all.

After the stop in Nassau he complained that we didn't go snorkling for a third time and wants to go snorkling again on our next cruise... I do see some additional swimming lessons in his future ;)

Edited by Piggeldy

If somebody can't survive, on their own, in a particular environment, you shouldn't take them there. ;)

That being said, there's really no excuse not to learn to swim, regardless of your age. If you encourage your mom to take swimming lessons, she may discover something she's been missing out on... and it's both healthy and relaxing. :cool:

Please listen to all the above. No swim, no snorkel. Do nor ruin your Mothers trip and perhaps her life. She may enjoy the snorkel boat though watching her family.

Edited by zoncom

I don't swim, but I have snorkeled in Maui and Bora Bora. I wore a life jacket, and although I couldn't dive, I was able to put my face in the water with the mask and snorkel. It was amazing! I felt like I was in an aquarium. I'm so glad I was able to experience this. At no time was I afraid. Let her try it. She can always get out of the water and watch from the boat if she is uncomfortable.

I don't swim, but I have snorkeled in Maui and Bora Bora. I wore a life jacket, and although I couldn't dive, I was able to put my face in the water with the mask and snorkel. It was amazing! I felt like I was in an aquarium. I'm so glad I was able to experience this. At no time was I afraid. Let her try it. She can always get out of the water and watch from the boat if she is uncomfortable.

As a lifeguard I am really really upset by this

you can't swim but feel qualified to give swimming advice :eek:

wear you mask and look at fish in water below your knees

But DON'T tell non swimmers there is nothing to worry about . . .

PLEASE

As a lifeguard I am really really upset by this

you can't swim but feel qualified to give swimming advice :eek:

wear you mask and look at fish in water below your knees

But DON'T tell non swimmers there is nothing to worry about . . .

PLEASE

Did you miss "lifejacket"? If a lifejacket is not safe enough, then non-swimmers should not be on a boat, tender or for that matter a cruise ship. I wasn't giving swimming advice, just saying that with a LIFEJACKET, non-swimmers can snorkel if they want.

If a lifejacket is not safe enough, then non-swimmers should not be on a boat, tender or for that matter a cruise ship.

I agree with this. In fact, as a good parent, there's no way I'd let my child near the water without knowing how to swim! Why would you want to abstain from learning this basic life preservation technique... whether survival equipment is available or not?

Did you miss "lifejacket"? If a lifejacket is not safe enough, then non-swimmers should not be on a boat, tender or for that matter a cruise ship. I wasn't giving swimming advice, just saying that with a LIFEJACKET, non-swimmers can snorkel if they want.

come back and talk to me after you have pulled a couple of hundred folks out of the water

no, that's not a booboo

a couple of hundred ...

actually the numbers are actually 4 digits ... THOUSANDS as I recovered several hundred at a time . . . .

a life jacket IS NOT a replacement for normal swimming skills. It is an EMERGENCY device .... if you use a life jacket to replace everyday skills ... you no longer have access to a LIFESAVING device

BUT

go your way ..... the worst that could happen is you get in trouble on the beach and rather than swim out and save you .. I decide, oh, they have a life jacket . . .

come back and talk to me after you have pulled a couple of hundred folks out of the water

no, that's not a booboo

a couple of hundred ...

actually the numbers are actually 4 digits ... THOUSANDS as I recovered several hundred at a time . . . .

a life jacket IS NOT a replacement for normal swimming skills. It is an EMERGENCY device .... if you use a life jacket to replace everyday skills ... you no longer have access to a LIFESAVING device

BUT

go your way ..... the worst that could happen is you get in trouble on the beach and rather than swim out and save you .. I decide, oh, they have a life jacket . . .

I'll be sure to stay out of the water in Melbourne and off this site. I can see that you can't have a different opinion here without getting flamed.

I have tried to let this one go… But being simple minded, I guess I am going to jump back in to the pool... largely because water safety is involved, The Captain is right (he doesn’t need me to say that as he and every experienced waterman knows it)…

Yes Karin, you may share your opinion. It’s welcome here. And others are allowed to disagree. You know, opinions are like a$$.....s, everyone has one. The Captain is also welcome to share his opinion. His opinion is based on many years on and in the water, much of it in an official capacity.

You snorkeled while wearing a full life jacket. That’s great, and I am glad you enjoyed it. You clearly weren’t afraid of the water. Perhaps you just never learned to swim, but you didn’t fear the water. The original poster referred to his/her mother who has never taken a swimming lesson and not capable of floating on the water (she probably is capable unless built like a super muscular tank, but that’s another mater)…. that sounds like a woman who probably has concerns about the water (that’s an assumption), but would likely want to please her family. There probably aren’t a lot of similarities between you and Jalinga’s mom.

What I will tell you, factually (I’ll save my opinion for later), is that nearly every lifeguard/divemaster/instructor will agree that when you went snorkeling with your full life jacket, you probably caught the intention of every “pro” there because you were looked at as “risky”(because you were)… and the same will be the case for Jalinga’s mom if she tries it. Those who get wet professionally or for a living already have enough to deal with. The Captain shared his opinion, as you did yours. His was based on experience, and yours was based on your one occasion…. His is rooted in safety, and yours is not.

You can have the opinion that it’s safe to light up a cigarette while pumping gas at a gas station although you just spilled gas on your hands…. that may be your opinion… although it certainly doesn’t make it an intelligent opinion. If something happened, the news folks would write about it and readers would say to themselves “Darwin won”… pretty much the same thing as an older woman who can’t swim, has never swum, has a fear of the water, and was trying to snorkel. We’re all entitled to our opinions…. Some just seem to be a bit wiser than others.

Jalinga: if your mom doesn’t have a fear of the water and she wants to try it, please have someone with strong water skills “babysit” your mom the entire time. She really can float… so keeping her calm and comfortable in the water is a key to her having fun. Maybe even buy a mask/snorkel and have her try it in the bath tub to get used to the feeling…. Yes, instructors and DM’s have been telling their students who have trouble getting used to the mask/snorkel to practice in their bathtub for decades… Good luck, and have fun.

Listen to the Captain. I live in Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado. So far this raft season 9 people have fallen out of the rafts and drowned. One guy in his 40s had a heart attack in water and died. I also remember the undertow at Cozumel on a snorkel boat with 3 guides diving in to pull me out and I am lifetime swimmer. Your snorkel boat will be in several ft. deep water minimum.

those who support my admittedly EXTREME position on this ... Thank you

I may be over the top on this having a relative who lost a child in a pool accident. If I had been there .. maybe it would have not happened

According to the American Red Cross, drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages one to 14. If we work together to promote the importance of swimming, we can improve this scary statistic and make water wonderful for everyone.

and if questioning my 'saves' numbers. I served on CG Cutters interdicting Haitian & Cuban migrants from the sea for 8 years. Boats safe for 20, loaded with 300, were common on the H side ... boats you could not believe they would float common on the C side. Everyone we interdicted was one that did not drown . . . I think that still falls under my 'lifeguard' counts.

And has NOTHING to do with swimming in Melbourne!!!!

I've taught a willing learner how to swim in 1 hour . . .

they could and did swim over 50 yards after one hour . . . .

not everyday, but if the planets align just right

http://www.teachmetoswim.com/national-learn-to-swim-day.aspx

Edited by Capt_BJ

The thing with a non-swimmer in a life jacket snorkeling is that, chances are they are going to be fine. But what if there is an emergency situation? Will they be able to help themselves?

We came up one day from scuba diving in Cozumel where we went down with beautiful weather and up in a pretty good wind. Swimming back to the boat, with a fully inflated BCD was HARD, as the water was pushing us away. Holding onto the rope to wait our turn to get back onto the boat was HARD. Climbing the ladder with the boat tossing was HARD, and the mate on the boat was doing his best to HELP us up the ladder. The weather turned fast, and people who were snorkeling were caught in this too.

Can a non-swimmer take care of themselves in this situation? The life jacket might help you float, and will hopefully keep you safe until someone can get to you; but me personally, I don't put myself into situations where I KNOW that I don't have the skills to keep myself safe.

If a non-swimmer really wants to snorkel, but on the life vest and do it from the shore. It is still a risk (rip tides, etc), but you have a much better chance of helping yourself when you can just stand up.

(And if a non-swimmer really wants to snorkel, why not go to a local pool and practice? Most pools cost like $10 or less to get into.)

One more aside- if you do decide to do this, make sure the non-swimmer is in a coast-guard approved PFD, and not a snorkel vest.

• 3 weeks later...
My family (of 4) will be passing by Grand Turk on our upcoming cruise with Carnival and I wanted to sign us up all to a snorkeling excursion through the company. Three of us are pretty good swimmers except for my mother who's never taken swimming lessons and who's not even capable of floating on the water. I know the life vest takes care of the floating and all you need to do is to put ur face under water, breathe through the tube and paddle but for someone who has no swimming skills whatsoever, how easy will it be for them to snorkel the first time of their life?

The idea of being thrown into the middle of the ocean and being in deep water freaks her out already which makes me wonder if it's a good idea to bring her along. Has anyone tried snorkeling that is a non-swimmer or do you have any advice on the subject?

My husband is exactly the same as your mom. I talked him into trying it on our honeymoon. He did great! She will be fine. She won't be "thrown" in! Tell her to just take it slow and be confident.

Edited by Sea Searcher

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think you need to have major skills in swimming to be able to safely enjoy snorkeling. I can tread water for a while and certainly move from point a to point b but I would never really be able to swim more than a few laps in a pool. But, put me in some snorkeling gear and I turn into a freaking dolphin. It's my favorite thing in the whole wide world.

My suggestion is that somebody take your mom to a pool or the beach and teach her some simple lessons...how to float on her back (It's so relaxing. She'll love knowing how.) and how to dog paddle at the least. When she feels confident in the water get a mask and show her how to just put her face in the water for a moment or two...in fact, there are dozens of videos on-line of people learning to swim at every age.

When I wanted to learn how to swim (in my twenties) somebody laughed at my anxiety (about not being able to learn) and reminded me that if horses can swim...I can too.

If she feels confident, and is up to the adventure, take her! One of my favorite people is 78 years old and we snorkel on every cruise...I have to keep up with her sometimes!

As for people 'over reacting' to this post....well, it seems like the same reaction I would have to a child running into the street to chase a ball. I would get upset because I'm afraid that the kid will get hurt...so, try not to take it personally. It's just CARE coming out sideways.

• 4 weeks later...

Last August, a friend of mine had to put her Girl Scouts leader skills to the test and rescue a fellow cruise passenger during our kayak and snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman. He nearly drowned in FOUR FEET of water because he freaked out when a wave temporarily lifted him too high to feel the sandy bottom. The guide was too far away to get to him in time, so my 5'2" friend towed this 5'10" 300+ lb man to safety, with him flailing and screaming the whole time. If you can't swim, stay out of the water - you risk endangering not just your life but the lives of everyone who will feel compelled to help you if something goes wrong.