Best Beaches - Maui

Geronamo79

We are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in early October. On the POA for our first week and then staying an extra 6 days in west Maui (Honua Kai). We are doing the road to Hana on day 1 of the POA and are looking to have a beach day on day 2. Looking for a good beach in South Maui, since we will be staying more on the west coast for our post cruise stay. Through my research I have come up with the following beaches to visit. Would like everyone's opinion on which ones would be the best for swimming/snorkelling.

South Maui

Big Beach

Ulua Beach

Wailea Beach

Waluaka Beach

Which would be our best choice for a beach day (maybe a little snorkelling)? Also please feel free to let me know if there is a beach that I didn't list that you think would be a better option.

Agree, Wailea Beach is a gem ...and it's fun to take a stroll around the Grand Wailea resort while you're there (be sure to have a look at the lobby.) There's a free public parking lot just past the GW.

Big Beach is notorious for it's dangerous surf ... we've been a couple of times and were roughed up in the waves pretty badly one time (it's deceiving, because you can't tell how strong the surf is until you're in it.) A lot of people are injured there, so only go in if it's quite calm. There are lifeguards posted there, so you could always ask their opinion if you're unsure.

If you're going for the day, you'll have time to visit more than one beach. Be sure to drive as far south as you can, to La Perousse Bay. The road goes through a lava field, which is spectacular to see. Here's a google street view of it.

Edited by Susan-M

jrstarheel, All beaches are public in Hawaii, so no charge to use them even if they are in front of a hotel. I don't know of any hotels that have day use passes (e.g. for use of their pools and loungers), but you can visit the hotels and eat at their restaurants.

A taxi will be expensive from both cruise ports on Maui ... is your ship at Kahului or Lahaina? It sounds like the OP is renting a car for their post cruise stay on Maui, but it's a good idea to do so as well for a port day, especially if you want to explore some of the beaches on the south or west side.

Edited by Susan-M

We are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in early October. On the POA for our first week and then staying an extra 6 days in west Maui (Honua Kai). We are doing the road to Hana on day 1 of the POA and are looking to have a beach day on day 2. Looking for a good beach in South Maui, since we will be staying more on the west coast for our post cruise stay. Through my research I have come up with the following beaches to visit. Would like everyone's opinion on which ones would be the best for swimming/snorkelling.

South Maui

Big Beach

Ulua Beach

Wailea Beach

Waluaka Beach

Which would be our best choice for a beach day (maybe a little snorkelling)? Also please feel free to let me know if there is a beach that I didn't list that you think would be a better option.

Ulua at the north end of Wailea & I'm guessing that you meant Maluaka which is on the south end of the Makena Beach Resort are good options. Both have good snorkeling, generally gentle surf for swimming, showers & bathrooms and some shade in the morning which is important to me. Ulua has a wide variety of tropical fish & in the area to the left (south) of Maluaka I've taken many visiting friends there & have always seen at least one turtle. Actually that area is one of several places snorkeling boat tours call "Turtletown" which is used at other areas also.

One word of caution...the best conditions are before noon when the tradewinds increase resulting in less desireable conditons at the beach.

There are a couple of other undeveloped beaches with porta-potties but I think in South Maui the best beaches for a snorkel & a swim would be Ulua & Maluaka. :D

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so you could get off cruise ship and take a taxi to waeila beach hotel and pay the day rate and have a great day ! yes? how far away from ship?

thanks

It is actually cheaper to rent a car - we used cabs on our first HI cruise, they are expensive. Car for day was $59.00.

Our Butler booked us, and highly recommended - http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

ALL of the car rental agencies run buses to and from their offices to the port - I could not believe the savings

Edited by SMerritt

Looking for a good beach in South Maui, since we will be staying more on the west coast for our post cruise stay. Through my research I have come up with the following beaches to visit. Would like everyone's opinion on which ones would be the best for swimming/snorkelling.

South Maui

Big Beach

Ulua Beach

Wailea Beach

Waluaka Beach

Wailea Beach is our favorite beach in Maui. Very pretty, relaxing and has good snorkling. But may I also suggest you try a couple of the beaches. We found looking for beaches on all the Hawaiian islands can be a fun adventure in of itself because the paths to some of the beaches are hidden in neigborhoods and high end hotels. All the beaches you mentioned are very nice. I think you will enjoy the area by just driving around and looking for the beaches.

Burt