Lufthansa seat selection question

buggins0402

I was looking to use our United miles on a flight to R/T to Poland next year. Lufthansa has the only low mile availability. I also understand that LH now charges for early seat selections. I am unclear as to whether I would even have this option if booking on the United site??? And, to use the United miles for LH flights I have to book on the United site - correct??

Guess I am scared that the two of us will end up with two middle seats far apart from each other if we don't have the option to pay for seat selection.

I was looking to use our United miles on a flight to R/T to Poland next year. Lufthansa has the only low mile availability. I also understand that LH now charges for early seat selections. I am unclear as to whether I would even have this option if booking on the United site??? And, to use the United miles for LH flights I have to book on the United site - correct??

Guess I am scared that the two of us will end up with two middle seats far apart from each other if we don't have the option to pay for seat selection.

1. You will book your award tickets using Mileage Plus Miles on UAL website

2. You will not be able to pick seats on the UAL website.

3. Economy award tickets are booked into X class so there will not be an extra charge for seat assignments

4. Take your LH PNR (Conformation number) to the LH website and pick your seats.

5. If you cannot pick your seats on the LH website you can try to pick them by going through the LOT website

(This is how I picked my seats last year before LH started charging for seats).

6. If those two options do not work, just call the LH USA phone number and have an agent assign your desired seats.

Hopes this helps.

Edited by bugeater2

1. You will book your award tickets using Mileage Plus Miles on UAL website

2. You will not be able to pick seats on the UAL website.

3. Economy award tickets are booked into X class so there will not be an extra charge for seat assignments

4. Take your LH PNR (Conformation number) to the LH website and pick your seats.

5. If you cannot pick your seats on the LH website you can try to pick them by going through the LOT website

(This is how I picked my seats last year before LH started charging for seats).

6. If those two options do not work, just call the LH USA phone number and have an agent assign your desired seats.

Hopes this helps.

It helps immensely!!! Thank you so much!

Just going to piggy back another question here:

We just got our airline information for our upcoming river cruise. We're booked on Lufthansa. We were told that we had to call and get seat assignments if we want to get them ahead. Or we can just wait to get them when we check in.

I know there's a charge for the early seat selection, but how soon can I do it?

We just got our airline information for our upcoming river cruise. We're booked on Lufthansa. We were told that we had to call and get seat assignments if we want to get them ahead. Or we can just wait to get them when we check in.

Generally you can do seat assignments anytime after you make the reservation. Free seating at check in is usually 24 hours or less before departure.

It depends on whether or not you care what seats you get if you wait. If you're OK with middle seats 25 rows apart, wait unit you check in. But, if you want to sit together and maybe have a window or an aisle for one of the seats, bite the bullet and select the seats NOW and pay if you need to. Don't rely on "the kindness of strangers" to move for you so you can have 2 seats together...

It depends on whether or not you care what seats you get if you wait. If you're OK with middle seats 25 rows apart, wait unit you check in. But, if you want to sit together and maybe have a window or an aisle for one of the seats, bite the bullet and select the seats NOW and pay if you need to. Don't rely on "the kindness of strangers" to move for you so you can have 2 seats together...

Oh, we want to do the advance seating selections. I just couldn't figure out what the Lufthansa website was telling me. I was tired when I was trying to figure it out and it seemed that it was saying advance seat selection can be done at 48 hours out from flight, for a fee OR we can get seats at 23 hours out for no cost.

That didn't sound right, but that's what my brain was interpreting the information I was reading as saying. I'm thinking now (with a clearer head) that it means that I can do advance seat selection at any time prior to 48 hours out. As in, no seat selections (advance or otherwise) can be made between 23 & 48 hours out from the flight.

Oh, we want to do the advance seating selections. I just couldn't figure out what the Lufthansa website was telling me. I was tired when I was trying to figure it out and it seemed that it was saying advance seat selection can be done at 48 hours out from flight, for a fee OR we can get seats at 23 hours out for no cost.

That didn't sound right, but that's what my brain was interpreting the information I was reading as saying. I'm thinking now (with a clearer head) that it means that I can do advance seat selection at any time prior to 48 hours out. As in, no seat selections (advance or otherwise) can be made between 23 & 48 hours out from the flight.

Not quite.

If you have a seat in the most expensive economy fare classes, Y B M U H X or Q, you may choose a seat at no charge any time.

If you are traveling on any other economy fare class, and you want to pay for advance seat selection, you may do so any time after you have been ticketed until 48 hours before the flight. At that time, no seat selection until online check-in opens, 24 hours before the flight. Then, you may select your seat from whatever is left at that time, at no charge.

Edited by 6rugrats