Help with pre-cruise choice..

heatherRN53

We will be leaving on our first ever cruise in April from Fort Lauderdale. We have an early flight booked, putting us into Fort Lauderdale by 09:30am the morning before the cruise, giving us a nice day to enjoy and maybe explore a bit. So I am wondering about reccomendations about a reasonable hotel that is close to the port as well as possibly some interesting restaurants and shops, without breaking the bank in taking cabs everywhere. I am very open to suggestions, recommendations or ideas about things to do in the area to fill our pre-cruise day.:):):)

We will be leaving on our first ever cruise in April from Fort Lauderdale. We have an early flight booked, putting us into Fort Lauderdale by 09:30am the morning before the cruise, giving us a nice day to enjoy and maybe explore a bit. So I am wondering about reccomendations about a reasonable hotel that is close to the port as well as possibly some interesting restaurants and shops, without breaking the bank in taking cabs everywhere. I am very open to suggestions, recommendations or ideas about things to do in the area to fill our pre-cruise day.:):):)

In the Homeports section of CC one of the options is Florida. You should be able to get specific answers there. Here is the link to the Florida departures board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I second Paul's response about staying in the 17th St. area. You can get around by foot, water taxi, sun trolley, and public transit buses.

Roz

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites for many years both pre and post cruise.

The Harbor Shops is right behind it. There is where the Publix and Total Wine plus shops and restaurants are located. There are also a couple of more small strip malls right by the Embassy Suites with shops and restaurants.

We always stay at Embassy suites on 17st, free breakfast and happy hour , lots of stores and restaurants, nice hotel.

This the choice of MANY cruisers. The water taxi is an on off boat. It gives you a nice sample of the area and you can get off and catch the next one.