Need camera advice....

I cruise a lot and also take quite a few land vacations a year(very blessed) but here lately I have been getting really blurry pictures with my camera. I have a Nikon Coolpix 8400. I have horrible shakes now and was hoping all my cruising friends can help with some suggestions on changing settings or a new camera. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

You've got a nice little camera, and it sounds like the success with it early was good. You might need to upgrade the firmware or change some settings.

Look at the ISO selection, make sure it's either in Auto or at a level 200 or higher. The shutter speed will suffer at lower settings.

Get the camera out and learn the two stage shutter release. The first one sets the autofocus and the second part of the button travel takes the photo. Learn to center the focus "dot" in the middle of the viewfinder on your subject. You can move the camera a little after and still have your original image in focus.

Clean the sensors on the front of the camera. These can get dirty and change their readings.

Make sure the front element of the lens is clean. A fingerprint will cause images to suffer in quality.

If you have $ to spend on a new camera it might be time. You get bigger sensor, higher mega-pixel count and new battery with the deal.

Some recommendations are the Canon 120, the finest pocket camera in the world. I have the 110 and have carried it from Mexico to Rome with stellar results. It does require a little learning about features to make the most of use.

Panasonic makes super cameras. The higher end ones are clones of Leica, at half the price. I have a 4 year old one that never leaves my bag.

Visit your local Best Buy and handle the selections. Visit their (and other) websites that have professional and amateur reviews.

The Canon T5 is a fine camera, but the Canon SL-1 compact DSLR is a small wonder. It also travels well. Our daughter carried it to China and back for the half marathon on the Great Wall with impressive results.

Look around, cameras are like anything else. Whatever one invests in is the "perfect" choice. I've had a bunch in my collection and have limited success with the smaller Nikon cameras. They are a tick slower to focus and are not quite as sharp in image quality. Their DSLR's are amazing. I bought a refurbished Nikon 3100 to take on cruises and so far it I've taken 1800 photos. It's light, has a razor sharp lens and the 3200 or 3300 series are always on sale.

The Fuji S9250 gets superior ratings in the super-zoom class, but again, it's what you like versus what we fellow cruisers recommend!

Here's a sampling of images from the Triumph using mostly the Canon 110:

https://*******/photos/RZAPPi539xdPAHJ2A

Edited by BallFour4

I just checked and your Camera is discontinued. It also doesnt have image stabilization. That alone will help with shakiness. But it wont take it all away. Not sure what your looking for. A DSLR, a point and shoot or a Mirrorless camera. Which is very similar to a DSLR but smaller and weighs less. The new Mirrorless cameras are very, very good. Here is a great site to do some research. A lot of info on here. http://www.dpreview.com

It sounds to me that your tremors are the problem, not the camera. My sister has the same problem. She uses a long zoom camera with an eye viewfinder, so she can plaster it to her eye/forehead to help stabilize it. EM