Big Surf - Honolulu

boleynkid

My wife and I have one day on Honolulu and I was wondering if/how it is possible to travel (or take an excursion) to the north of the island to see the big surf, somewhere like Waimea Bay perhaps. Any comments much appreciated.

My wife and I have one day on Honolulu and I was wondering if/how it is possible to travel (or take an excursion) to the north of the island to see the big surf, somewhere like Waimea Bay perhaps. Any comments much appreciated.

Sorry should of course have said Oahu rather than Honolulu.

We rented a car and then bought a app from Gypsy Guide for iPhone (there is one for Droid). The app was terrific it provided turn by turn driving directions and narration along the way.

Along the route the narration pointed out key spots that we might want to pull over. At one point it told us to pull over and park then cross the road and walk up he beach as there might be sea turtle on the beach in the sun. Sure enough there it was just laying there. Another time the app pointed out a fruit stand that sold fresh fruit already cut and placed in plastic baggies.

It was like having a tour guide in the car and we were even able to listen to it through the car speakers using a Bluetooth connection.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CruzVinnieCruz

You can rent a car, which would be my choice. You can take TheBus.

Of course, there is no way to predict when the big surf will be there..although that area is the location for the big surf, so it is more likely.

Thanks Cruiser Bruce. I did think a local bus might just be the best option so something to bear in mind.

We rented a car and then bought a app from Gypsy Guide for iPhone (there is one for Droid). The app was terrific it provided turn by turn driving directions and narration along the way.

Along the route the narration pointed out key spots that we might want to pull over. At one point it told us to pull over and park then cross the road and walk up he beach as there might be sea turtle on the beach in the sun. Sure enough there it was just laying there. Another time the app pointed out a fruit stand that sold fresh fruit already cut and placed in plastic baggies.

It was like having a tour guide in the car and we were even able to listen to it through the car speakers using a Bluetooth connection.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks CruzVinnieCruz. Have to say that does sound very impressive but I don't think I will be up for driving this time.

As CruiserBruce has said, it is hard to know when the big surf will be on display. In fact, the 2016 Pipeline Masters had 3 lay days because the surf was too small. There are websites where you can keep track of the big surf on the islands, Maui also has some really big waves.

Waimea can be like a lake in the winter, but if you pack a pic nic, and take the bus you can enjoy a really nice beach day. Both Waimea and Ehukai have restrooms and showers. I think the best spot for looking for big waves is Ehukai Beach Park. This is where the Pipeline Masters is held and there are some great breaks within easy walking distance, including Backyards and Sunset. Sometimes there are lunch trucks where you can purchase food, but I would not depend on it. The bus takes a long time so you really need to plan on a day and not getting back to Honolulu at a specific time. And, if the waves are big the traffic will be more intense. A car is the best way to see this area but I understand your not wanting to drive. Have a great trip, Cherie

As CruiserBruce has said, it is hard to know when the big surf will be on display. In fact, the 2016 Pipeline Masters had 3 lay days because the surf was too small. There are websites where you can keep track of the big surf on the islands, Maui also has some really big waves.

Waimea can be like a lake in the winter, but if you pack a pic nic, and take the bus you can enjoy a really nice beach day. Both Waimea and Ehukai have restrooms and showers. I think the best spot for looking for big waves is Ehukai Beach Park. This is where the Pipeline Masters is held and there are some great breaks within easy walking distance, including Backyards and Sunset. Sometimes there are lunch trucks where you can purchase food, but I would not depend on it. The bus takes a long time so you really need to plan on a day and not getting back to Honolulu at a specific time. And, if the waves are big the traffic will be more intense. A car is the best way to see this area but I understand your not wanting to drive. Have a great trip, Cherie

Thanks for your reply and useful comments Cherie. I think this will be a case of watching weather reports etc and then seeing if we can get something arranged if surf's up. I drove before when we vacationed on Oahu for a couple of weeks but we will only be staying for a couple of days so I am looking to be as relaxed as possible this time.