Want to See Cruisefare in USD

2552phxcrzr

I am currently traveling outside the US and am looking at a couple of future cruises. I want to see the cruise prices in USD not Euro, which is what the O website defaults to because I am in Europe. Is there a setting on the O website where I can set my currency preference? I logged into my account thinking that would help, but it didn't.

P.S. Google Chrome is my preferred web browser, but I get the same Euro default with Safari as well.

Edited by h2so4

I am currently traveling outside the US and am looking at a couple of future cruises. I want to see the cruise prices in USD not Euro, which is what the O website defaults to because I am in Europe. Is there a setting on the O website where I can set my currency preference? I logged into my account thinking that would help, but it didn't.

P.S. Google Chrome is my preferred web browser, but I get the same Euro default with Safari as well.

How hard can it be to convert Euros to dollars. You can do it directly in Google w/o even a conversion program. Takes about 10 seconds max.

DON

Call O...on the phone. or contact your agent via e-mail in the USA

I thing prices are regional and you gotta adhere to the region that prices are set for.. There were a bunch of posts in this pricing some weeks ago.

The question has nothing to do with how hard it is to convert Euros to $s ... other websites allow users to set their preferred currency regardless of the region they are in. I was hoping O's website had a similar option. As a US resident, I would be purchasing in that currency after all.

Edited by h2so4

The web site is using your IP address to locate were you are. It not only gives you the Euro currency but the Euro prices including the regional deals, plus has VAT added.

You might try to log into your account- then do your search and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by PaulMCO

The question has nothing to do with how hard it is to convert Euros to $s ... other websites allow users to set their preferred currency regardless of the region they are in. I was hoping O's website had a similar option. As a US resident, I would be purchasing in that currency after all.

If the cost is say 120 Euros, just type "120 Euros dollars" in Google and press "enter". It will give you the cost in dollars. Works for all the major currencies. I will admit that if you want to convert Ecuadorian Sucre to dollars, it is a bit more work.

There also a whole lot of very good and easy to use currency converter apps for both Android and Apple cell phones. Check them out. You can even convert Kyrgyzstanian Som to Cape Verde Escudo if you wish with the one I use. Just in case you need to know, 1000 Soms is equivalent to 1,421 Escudos. LOL.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

How hard can it be to convert Euros to dollars. You can do it directly in Google w/o even a conversion program. Takes about 10 seconds max.

DON

I may be wrong, but perhaps the OP is suggesting the price quoted in euros in Europe may be quite different (when converted to dollars ) from the dollars price quoted when actually in North America. It seems the deals can vary too. Others will be able to correct me.

If the cost is say 120 Euros, just type "120 Euros dollars" in Google and press "enter". It will give you the cost in dollars. Works for all the major currencies. I will admit that if you want to convert Ecuadorian Sucre to dollars, it is a bit more work.

There also a whole lot of very good and easy to use currency converter apps for both Android and Apple cell phones. Check them out. You can even convert Kyrgyzstanian Som to Cape Verde Escudo if you wish with the one I use. Just in case you need to know, 1000 Soms is equivalent to 1,421 Escudos. LOL.

DON

As already stated, whether and how I can convert is neither the question nor the issue.

Thank you all ... it's obvious the setting I am looking for does not exist on the O website. So, I'll just use my TA's website, which still shows everything in USD.

As to whether the prices on the American vs Europan websites are different, I have not compared, so I can't speak to that.

Prices on the American vs. European websites can definitely be different. We are now living in Europe. A couple of weeks ago, we booked an October trip on Marina. The promotion available to us as Austrian residents was quite different than the the one available to U.S. residents.

Cruise lines (and airlines) can and do discriminate both for and against customers based on their place of residence, so doing a simple currency conversion does not solve the problem. Also, doing an internet currency conversion will give you only an approximate conversion. Rates fluctuate and vary between institutions and exchange agencies.

As a Canadian who travels frequently to the US, I have a US$ account at my Canadian bank, and a Visa card from a Canadian bank billed in US$. That way I avoid the 2.5% hidden commission Visa scims on foreign transactions, and I can use a currency exchange that gives me two or three points better than my bank or Visa. This can add up to as much as 5% on the price of a cruise.

It's frustrating when I try to book a flight on a US airline web site and try to pay in US$, when as soon as I enter my address it flips the price into C$, adding a few points onto the exhange rate when they do it. :mad::mad::mad:

Price discrimination based on residency is an odious but apparently legal practice.

I live in New Zealand, and regularly use VPNs that simulate a US based IP address.

I'm not so much concerned about the price discrepancies, as pricing provided to NZ residents will be different as our pricing includes gratuities - but does not include any allowance for air fares. At the end of the day, the reality is that NZ residents are required to book through NZ agents.

Non US residents may not be aware that the content on the Oceania web site varies depending on where you are located. In particular, visitors from NZ do not have access to the booking site - instead we are referred to a "contact us to book" page. This means that we do not have visibility of which cabins are still available on a cruise.

By using a VPN, I can access the booking system, and identify the cabin that we want to book.