Need to lose inches before my cruise in 12 days!

Every cruise I've been on I always gain around my midsection! I am trying to tackle that problem head on. See if I loose the inches now, by the end of the cruise I will be back to my normal size. I'm not trying to starve myself and I want to eat healthy so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lots of. Vegetables, fruit, water and walking.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Cut out all alcohol until the cruise. Alcohol can make you look and feel bloated. Drink lots of water. Walk 10,000 steps a day. Eat healthy, and get lots of rest. Then have a fabulous cruise!

I cut out gluten (fiancé is sensitive, I did it for moral support) and 8 pounds fell off in a week. Lean protein, lots of veggies and quinoa instead of bread/potatoes.

Most Gluten free products have a higher calorie content...and has more sugar, so IMO, this is not good advice. Unless you have celiac disease, there are no advantages what so ever to go gluten free. *yes, I am in the medical field*

If you lost 8 pounds in 1 week, the first week is mostly water retention and 8lbs., seems awfully high, so I really question that. Your advice on protein and veggies however, is correct.:)

Edited by champagne123
xxx

No carbs! I usually do this if I need to lose before an event. Not necessarily long term. I have dropped 12 pounds in two weeks and lost a whole dress size. Doing it right now for my August 14 cruise. Started on Monday and already feel a difference, especially in my mid section. Good luck

There is no truly healthy way to lose inches in just 12 days. Gimmicky, trendy ways that are not healthy are an option however.

This. No way you're going to lose "inches" in a week and a half in a "healthy" manner without "starving yourself". Weight Change = Calories In minus Calories Out.

The time to start working on pre-cruise weight reduction is when you BOOK the cruise, not when you start packing for it.

No carbs! I usually do this if I need to lose before an event. Not necessarily long term.

This is "water weight" and is as you note, temporary. A calorie deficit (and especially a low carb calorie deficit) causes the body to start using up stored glycogen first, which is bound with water.

As soon as you begin eating normally again you "regain" this "water weight" as your body replenishes the glycogen reserves.

Most Gluten free products have a higher calorie content...and has more sugar, so IMO, this is not good advice. Unless you have celiac disease, there are no advantages what so ever to go gluten free. *yes, I am in the medical field*

If you lost 8 pounds in 1 week, the first week is mostly water retention and 8lbs., seems awfully high, so I really question that. Your advice on protein and veggies however, is correct.:)

Gluten free products like chicken and spinach? Processed food is processed food, gluten free or not. I never said that was better. And yes, it probably was a lot of water, but the fact that I just (under a doctor's care) started a new exercise regimen most likely also helped. Thank you for your concern for my well being, however :)

Drink lots of water(selzer sparkling water prevents water retention)

3 egg whites(boiled or make it in a pan with Olive oil Pam cooking spray and one yolk)

Plain oatmeal make it with cinnamon.

To get lean quick, eat tilapia and chicken breast(season with lemon and black pepper, onions and garlic.

Sweet potatoes. romaine lettuce(no dressing)

Most importantly train at the gym with weights and do cardio.

South Beach Diet. I've been on SB since April... have lost 20 pounds and over 20"! Not done yet.... didn't do this for the upcoming cruise but for my health. Phase 1 is restrictive (not like Adkins and NOT low/no carb but good carbs... vegetables) but very doable!

Drink lots of water(selzer sparkling water prevents water retention)

3 egg whites(boiled or make it in a pan with Olive oil Pam cooking spray and one yolk)

Plain oatmeal make it with cinnamon.

To get lean quick, eat tilapia and chicken breast(season with lemon and black pepper, onions and garlic.

Sweet potatoes. romaine lettuce(no dressing)

Most importantly train at the gym with weights and do cardio.

This will cause a loss of inches within 12 days? That is what the OP is asking for.

South Beach Diet. I've been on SB since April... have lost 20 pounds and over 20"! Not done yet.... didn't do this for the upcoming cruise but for my health. Phase 1 is restrictive (not like Adkins and NOT low/no carb but good carbs... vegetables) but very doable!

Absolutely! Especially the 2 week/phase 1 start. But it will make you feel great and not hungry.

Whole heartedly agree with South Beach. First two weeks are the toughest but I usually drop between 10-14 pounds in that time. I know a lot of it is water weight. If I continue onto phase two I usually drop about 2 pounds a week.

DH and I just started again today for our upcoming cruise on Sept. 7. Once you go off the diet you will gain again. However start back on phase one and the pounds fall off rather quickly.

Good luck and HAPPY CRU1Z1N!!!!!!

You have to burn 3500 calories more than you take in to lose one pound. The average person needs about 2000 calories a day. High intensity exercise can increase that need. For example a 165 pound person burns about 2300 calories running a marathon. So if you weighed 165 pounds, ate nothing one day but ran a marathon (don't try that at home), you would lose about 1 pound 3 ounces that day. So you can see how these claims of quick weights loss are just silly. Even if it is just water, you cannot be healthy if you are that dehydrated. It took time to gain that weight... It will take time to lose it.

Edited by Badfinger

Yeah but in the end it will be no different but will seem way worse.

Imagine you lose say 8 pound of artificial (i.e. water) weight loss before the cruise. Then you get on the ship, gain back that 8 pounds just by rehydrating yourself, plus the amount the OP "always gains". Lets assume that is 5 pounds. So then on this cruise the OP "gains" 13 pounds. Yikes.

Best to just start now eating bit healthier and exercising some/more and continue that while on the ship. If anything, drink more water instead of trying to lose water weight. To me, walking around on the "track" on the top level, watching the sunrise while is just as enjoyable as having a second warm chocolate melting cake after dinner.

Edited by Badfinger

Phase 1 is strict and what you see is mostly water coming off. Maybe a pound or two of real loss..depending. As one op said... 3500 calories makes a pound and you need to expend output and decrease intake to achieve that. Once you start eating back to old way on the ship that fluid will come back probably almost immediately.

I don't believe there is a healthy way to lose that much weight in a week. My suggestion is to cut calories, cut junk carbs, increase water intake, and add or extra exercise. I fully plan to exercise while on the ship...my body has become accustomed to it and it makes me feel better!

Regardless...have fun on your cruise!