Back from Transatlantic 05.-12.11 , review

s.s.France

Review and Observations Transatlantic on QM2 Southampton-New York 5th.-12th November in Queens Grill

This was my fourth Westbound Transatlantic, the third time in QG ( first was Britannia), and my

10th Cunard Voyage, means i am CWC Platinum.

This time I was taking my mother ( 70), who enjoyed every minute of it.

We booked guarantee P2 category and got allocated a few weeks before the voyage a P2 suite on

deck 10.

Aprox. 1 week before sailing we got notification of an upgrade to Q5 category, a cabin at the

rear end of deck 9, close to the stairtower. ( 9061)

Risking making some people jealous, this was my 3rd time I was upgraded with cunard.

The first time was on a mini cruise from Britannia balcony to QG, the second was a group of 5

people with three cabins booked on Queen Elizabeth for a 1 week cruise in summer in Princess

got all three cabins upgraded to Queens Grill.

Transfer and Check in

Cunard booked us on a flight with BA from Berlin to London, where we arrived early, and met the

cunard representatives. We had to wait about an hour until more passengers arrived, them we

where taken to the Bus to Southampton, where we arrived at 1200.

Being QG, we where checked in immediately by very friendly staff, but then we encountered that

boarding did not start yet to to a malfunctioning boarding bridge. I was told by staff that it

happens often in wintertime. We could observe though the windows the bridge being maneouvered

into position.

On board

At approx. 1230 we where allowed to go through security and board. The QG cabin was clean and

overall in very good shape, but nonetheless I am looking forward to see the new style being

introduced after the refit.

The corridor on Deck 9 still looks very tired, and the pipes are still occasionally leaking,

with water dripping down from the ceiling, despite most pipes being replaced by new plastic

tubes, even while underway. Anyway, I knew about this before, but I imagine newcomers booking

this category may be quite shocked by the apperance of the Deck 9 corridors. Somehow other

decks seem not to be affected by leaking plumbing.

We went to the QG Restaurant where we were greeted by maitre Osman, who, after recognizing me,

really went the extra mile to make me and my mum very happy.

Our Butler was very nice, but we didnt use him much other than his regular duties.

Food

We ate in Queens Grill and one evening in Britannia as guests at the Captain´s table hosted by

Environmental Officer Douglas Lauder and the Captain´s Secretary Victoria.

Every single meal was very good. There was really nothing at all we didnt thorougly enjoy. The

menu was the ususal QG a la carte, and the normal menu, we ate from all choices. Two times the

maitre spoiled us with caviar with traditional garnishings, which is not on the menu. I didnt

ask for it but he offered it from his own initiative. He also made a Caesar´s Salad tableside

for my mum which also is not on the menu. She thougt the salad was fantastic.

The menu at the captain´s table was also very good.

More on Board Observations

We liked Captain Opreys understated style, he is actually quite funny, although not as much as

Christopher Wells.

I talked to the Captains Secretary Victoria, who is german like I am, so we came along nicely

at the dinner conversation. She confirmed the refit is gonna be big, and a lot of money will be

spent, but I heard nothing new what hasnt been discussed here before.

Service was generally as good as expected, and always a little better in Queens Grill

Restaurant and lounge than elsewhere on the ship. I presume the Crew to passenger ratio is

surely better in QG than in Britannia.

Once Room service coffee was served luke warm. No big deal.

The ship is still much in need of a refit, but its obvious that constant repairs and painting

are going on while underway and generally the ship is in good condition.

A lot of work has been done in some areas I noticed two months ago.

Internet connection is ok, slow at peak times, and ridiculously expensive.

The shows we saw where nice, but we thougt the singer doing musical songs was acting a bit over

the top, though he had a nice voice.

We saw the Opera Carmen in 3D projection, which was good, but not loud enough for my taste,

what another guest also confirmed.

Around mid-voyage the mechanism of the planetarium dome broke down, which lead to cancellations

of this days schedule in Illuminations.

The dome was succesfully secured, but the Planetarium shows remained cancelled because of the

malfunction. They announced shore side assistance was required.

I met people I knew from an earlier crossing, which was nice.

Most guests on this voyage where from the UK, with the second largest group coming from the US.

There was a really nice mix of older and younger on this crossing, ( a bit on the older side of

course), but also some families with small children, and teenagers. I also saw quite a few male

couples.

Weather was mixed, the usual Atlantic weather for this time of the year, two stormy days, which

the captain confirmed wheren´t expected according to his weather charts, with at least once

white water reaching higher tran bridge level. The decks where closes for the duration of the

strom, except deck 8 at the rear, for the smokers.

Arrival in New York was on time, with good visibility and low clouds. We saw it from the

observation deck forward on deck 11. Under the Bridge was aprox. 0500.

The doors leading to Deck 11 forward and 7 forward where still closed "due to high wind",

except that there was no wind at all. We assumed the signs mut have been left by error and

ignored it. It was very quiet this time on the observation deck, but some more people also

ignored the signs.

I think a lot of people would have liked to be on the forward decks during the arrival and

Cunard really should make sure the deck officer checks if they can be opened before arriving.

All in all a wonderful voyage, and afterwards we spent a few days in New York City and returned

home on separately booked flights

Thanks for the review (and welcome to Cruise Critic). Your experience is consistent with mine in Britannia on the same crossing. Deck 9 was not the only deck with leakage problems; we had a plastic bucket outside our deck 5 cabin to catch water leaks. One evening we found a half-bottle of Pol Acker waiting for us and were told by our cabin attendant that it was given us because of the leak. Carpets on the port alleyway were heavily stained in spots, presumably from leaks.

We were also told about the unavailability of dry cleaning, which was not a problem for either of us.

As to weather, I thought that it was an easier crossing than the corresponding one (12 November) last year, although I saw heavy spray hit the forward windows in the Commodore Club, and one of the Britannia lower level windows totally covered by water. On the worst day, with lashing rain, we had lunch in Todd English facing the rear deck and saw someone using the hot tub. Well, I suppose that if you are going to get wet anyhow, the rain should make no difference. BTW, Todd English was virtually empty at lunchtime.

The ship seemed somewhat underpopulated. Even the lineup to get into Britannia for dinner was shorter, and we had no trouble having lunch in the Golden Lion, something which I have despaired of on earlier crossings.

Edited by rsquare

I just wondered if it was still Johannes, a young South African gent, who facilitated a complimentary upgrade from a Q7 gty to a Q4 penthouse on my last TA.

Nice to know from your review that Osman is still the Maitre de, though. I do believe he genuinely enjoys doing lampwork at the table which is, sadly, a dying art here in UK. He made me some dishes I've not had here in 30 years! Just a shame something couldn't be done about his h*******s though. My butler suffered the same trouble and I wondered if perhaps it was an occupational requirement in the QG area! LOL.

I did find the QG restaurant seriously lacking in "atmosphere" and do much prefer the sweeping staircases and double-deck location of the Britannia. The QG could be any better-class international restaurant wheras the Brit could only be Cunard! It so reminds me of the restaurant in the Titanic film. I used to go down and walk through it before going to dinner in the QG, just for the "buzz"!

Sad, aren't I?

Edited by canny_cruiser