Transportation from YVR to Canada Place

cruisingram1

Trying to line up flights and transportation for our July cruise.

We are a group of 9 arriving same day. With kids so the train or public transportation is not a viable option.

Cruise transfer is $30 a person. I would think it is the most reliable (?) (We will book through Choice Air so as not to worry about air delays. )

Has anyone used Suntransfers? They have a van that can fit us all.

What about Super Shuttle? Has anyone used them in Vancouver?

Any other suggestions appreciated. Private limo services? Two cabs?

Thanks...

I recommend 3 taxis for your large delegation... $35 ($27 USD) for the carload from airport to cruise terminal. Each cab takes maximum 4 passengers.

There's also aerocar which uses a larger vehicle for a large group. However it will cost more than a taxi. Then again... aerocar only has an 8 passenger vehicle.

http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have been more specific.. the "kids" are toddlers and can't drag their own luggage or carseats so we are looking for reasonable ($ wise) but more important, easy. Is the cab line really 3 blocks away??

I did contact Super Shuttle.. they can't accommodate 9 people in one van. I guess they have not gotten into Vancouver as much as other cities. I would need two shuttles. Is there an equivolent for Super Shuttle in Vancouver?

I also contacted several limo services that have large executive vans. Can't find much in the way of reviews on Cruise Critic. Some quotes were CND dollars, other in US dollars. Makes a difference.

Has anyone heard of Suntransfers? They are all around the world, but not sure where their home base is. Or Corporate Livery Services out of Vancouver? They have the best price for a van that can hold us all (if I did the conversion properly) and they will include a carseat.

Appreciate any other suggestions.

I guess I should have been more specific.. the "kids" are toddlers and can't drag their own luggage or carseats so we are looking for reasonable ($ wise) but more important, easy. Is the cab line really 3 blocks away??
The cab is door to door.... it's the subway (train) that has you dragging your luggage 3 blocks or more from the train through the station and then to the terminal.

I should also add.... you do not need car seats with Vancouver taxi's.

Sent from my Passport using Forums mobile app

Edited by xlxo

(We will book through Choice Air so as not to worry about air delays. )

This is a bit of a red flag to me, and it has to do with the fact you're departing from Vancouver. As most of the Alaska cruises departing Vancouver only stop at US ports, if for some reason you were delayed and missed your ship's departure, you cannot join the ship at the next port, as this would be in violation of the PVSA.

As for transport, I'd just take 2 taxis. Fastest and simplest.

If you are using the cruise line for air bookings, have you considered using the cruise line for transportation from the airport to the ship?

Yes. It is a consideration. The cost is $30 a person. X 9 so we are at $270.

There appears to be options of private van services for less. Trying to weed through to find most reliable for least cost.

This is a bit of a red flag to me, and it has to do with the fact you're departing from Vancouver. As most of the Alaska cruises departing Vancouver only stop at US ports, if for some reason you were delayed and missed your ship's departure, you cannot join the ship at the next port, as this would be in violation of the PVSA.

As for transport, I'd just take 2 taxis. Fastest and simplest.

Re: two taxis. I think we'd need three as too crowded with 5 People and 5 luggage to fit in one cab.

Re: miss the ship and catch up at next port. Hmmm. That would be an issue but same issue as booking my own flight, but with Celebrity in the mix, they get to figure out the solution.

Re: miss the ship and catch up at next port. Hmmm. That would be an issue but same issue as booking my own flight, but with Celebrity in the mix, they get to figure out the solution.

The point is, in the circumstance I described, there is no solution. You miss the ship, that's it - no cruise. Booking your air through the cruise line will not change a thing - they can want to help you all they want, they will not help you violate federal law. The issue is really flying in the day of embarkation, which limits your options in case things go pear-shaped.

The cost is $30 a person. X 9 so we are at $270.

There appears to be options of private van services for less. Trying to weed through to find most reliable for least cost.

Three taxi's will bring the price down to $105 (3 x 35) for your delegation.

If you give yourself a currency adjustment.... the price drops to USD$80 for the three cabs.

Edited by xlxo

Vancouver is a great port to be stuck in without a plane or boat for the week. We can provide lots of tourist activities to fill those 7 days.

The point is, in the circumstance I described, there is no solution. You miss the ship, that's it - no cruise. Booking your air through the cruise line will not change a thing - they can want to help you all they want, they will not help you violate federal law. The issue is really flying in the day of embarkation, which limits your options in case things go pear-shaped.

You make an excellent point and we are definitely considering flying in the day before. Our previous cruises were on the east coast and the time difference plus length of flight precluded same day flight. Just trying to avoid a costly night in Vancouver. But clearly missing the ship would be a far worse ending to our trip. Had not factored into the decision the part about our only ports being in the US. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure Vancouver is a lovely city, but would not like to spend 7 days there. :p

There is lots to do in Vancouver for seven days!

With regards to hotels..... You will find significant savings looking at hotels a few blocks away from the cruise terminal.

@cruisingram1: If you share your cruise embarkation date, we can provide some hotel suggestions with availability.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. It is a consideration. The cost is $30 a person. X 9 so we are at $270.

I can find nothing to support that taxis charge per person. Taxis charge for taking the cab from point A to point B, number of passengers is irrelevant.

Uber is the same way.

Taxi fare from YVR to the cruise terminal is <$40.

Is there something about YVR that I missed?

Taxi's charge by the $35 (USD$27) carload to the pier. It's $31 to most other downtown hotels.

YVR taxi's charge a flat rate departing from the airport.

YVR Canada Line/Subway/train departures charge a $5 surcharge per person. This is how the airport pays for the extension into the terminals.

Edited by xlxo

If the cruise is a round-trip starting and ending in Vancouver, then I don't believe it would be a PVSA violation as you would then be departing from a US port (first port of call)) and would be ending at Vancouver which would not be a PVSA violation. If it was going from Vancouver and ending at a US port then you are certainly correct about the violation. Unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

Tom

I can find nothing to support that taxis charge per person. Taxis charge for taking the cab from point A to point B, number of passengers is irrelevant.

Uber is the same way.

Taxi fare from YVR to the cruise terminal is <$40.

Is there something about YVR that I missed?

The math you quoted was my pricing for cruise transfer per person. Not taxi fare. Taxis are flat rate FROM the airport by zone. We would need three for our party of 9 given bags etc.

After thinking about Twinkenhan's concern for potential violation of ship rules should our flight be delayed, we decided to fly on the day before. Hotel has transport to the port. Now we need a ride to the hotel. :p. But no time pressure which is nice.

Airport to most downtown hotels are around $31 (USD$ 24) for each cab carload.

If you share your dates... we can provide some hotel ideas.

Sent from my Passport using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your input.

I have sufficient points so hotel is taken care of.

I checked with my cc company and it does not have a foreign transaction fee. So when I use a cc for the cab, does it show as a $30 charge and then get converted once it reaches the cc? What would be an appropriate tip? Am I tipping in CDN dollars?

Thank you for your input.

I have sufficient points so hotel is taken care of.

I checked with my cc company and it does not have a foreign transaction fee. So when I use a cc for the cab, does it show as a $30 charge and then get converted once it reaches the cc? What would be an appropriate tip? Am I tipping in CDN dollars?

If you mean on the meter, it will show CAD only. What shows on your CC statement depends on the card issuer format - e.g. ours generally show where/when/who we bought from and the price in CAD, then a smaller entry underneath that or in brackets listing original currency, price, and conversion rate on that date for foreign transactions.

If you assume Tipping is identical in Canada and the US you won't go wrong - and whatever you add will also be in CAD - so again, treat it like you would in the US and add a % you're happy with to the fare.

• 2 weeks later...

While Vancouver has no Uber.....