airport to Galveston

brekin67

What is the cheapest way to get from Houston airport to Galveston hotels?

Trying to decide whether to fly or drive. I know that Carnival does transfers for $60 round trip to the pier. I am thinking I would use the Carnival shuttle then ask Holiday Inn to pick us up from there and take us back to hotel.

Trying to decide whether to fly or drive. I know that Carnival does transfers for $60 round trip to the pier. I am thinking I would use the Carnival shuttle then ask Holiday Inn to pick us up from there and take us back to hotel.

I don't think the Carnival shuttle starts until the day of the cruise. I was on one last summer, stayed at a hotel in Houston, then went back to the airport for irritatingly long ride from IAH to the pier (stops at one hotel, Houston Hobby *forever*, and I think one other stop) in the morning. But that's where I wanted to stay anyway, so didn't try to get to Galveston the day before...

Ahhhh.... one of the reasons we are very hesitant to sail out of Galveston again. There is no cheap way.

We used galvestonlimo.com to get from IAH to Holiday Inn at the Beach Galveston. Got the phone number from a gal at the kiosk right near the Carnival kiosk at the IAH airport. Cost was $100-110 for two people. Free shuttle from our Holiday Inn to port day of sailing. Since we were flying home the day of the cruise, we then used the Carnival shuttle from the ship to IAH.

fly in the day before, stay at a hotel near the airport. get the hotel shuttle to and from the airport, catch the carnival shuttle day of cruise....same routine when you get back if you are staying over a day?? just a thought.

fly in the day before, stay at a hotel near the airport. get the hotel shuttle to and from the airport, catch the carnival shuttle day of cruise....same routine when you get back if you are staying over a day?? just a thought.

Great Idea!

Just back from Conquest Cruise yesterday, just made it home today, we flew in for our cruise. I did research for months on this transfer thing from houston to Galveston, I'll tell ya now, its a pain in the a$$, IMHO. Do a lot of searches on this board, there is good info for you here on CC.

We flew into Hobby airport, which is closer/easier. Our travelling friends also did, they took a taxi from hobby to hotel, with tip $90 (4 people total). We rented a mini van from Enterprise and dropped it off at the galveston office sunday morning $220 (we had six people).

For our transfer back to the airport yesterday, used supershuttle. $100, but there is some nuances to using it.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I am traveling by myself from Oregon then meeting up with several cousins from around the midwest in Galveston before we cruise out.

I am wondering if it would make the most sense to rent a car from Enterprise then drop it off at the pier?

Thanks for any advice,

Cynthia

I am traveling by myself from Oregon then meeting up with several cousins from around the midwest in Galveston before we cruise out.

I am wondering if it would make the most sense to rent a car from Enterprise then drop it off at the pier?

Thanks for any advice,

Cynthia

That depends on what day you come in. I think Enterprise is closed on Sundays, and closes fairly early on Saturdays (like noonish). There's info somewhere on one of these threads that talks about the hours and people having to pay extra to drop off when closed, etc. So, just make sure you look into all your options first. It really is a shame that it's so difficult for cruisers to get here from Houston. Hmmm, maybe I should start my own shuttle service. ;) Maybe try posting on your roll call and see if anyone wants to share a cab or something. Good luck!

Rule #1: When cruising out of Galveston, fly into Hobby Airport and NOT Bush-Intercontinental. It's the difference between a 45 mile drive and a 100 mile drive. Houston is the size of Rhode Island--remember that! If you're trying to save $15 in fare difference, go ahead and spring for the Hobby flight. Seriously. Not joking about this one.

Rule#2: Taxi is going to kill you with that fare. You can buy 6.8 boat drinks for $90. Find a Super Shuttle or other alternative. Chances are 99.99% that you're not going to find a Galveston hotel with an airport shuttle. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Rule #3: Find a friend. The more the merrier when it comes to ride sharing from the airport to the ship terminal. Use your roll call to join up with others who are coming in on the same day, if you are flying in before the cruise.

Rule #4: It pains me to say this, but just like Port Canaveral, Galveston is one port where the cruise line transfers are worth it.

Rule #5: If all else fails, contact your new buddy Drink-in-Hand/Toes-in-Sand and I'll ferry you for the bargain price of $89.95. (Just joking on that one! :D)

We used one of the Limo referal services and got a nice Towncar with driver who picked us up at the luggage carousel for $90 one way. IHA to Galveston.

Jingle

Do you mind sharing who you used? I have called around several places today and the lowest quote was $150 one way from IAH.

We live in Galveston!

Hobby is 35 to 40 miles from Galveston.

Bush is 65 to 70.

This is depending on highways you take.

You do not have to get off a highway on either trip.

We can make trip in 35-40 minutes or 65-70 minutes

driving 70 miles an hour not in a rush hour.

Major HW construction is no longer

a problem at Nasa One Flyover

like it was a year ago.

Of course,

if we are cruising out of or into Galveston,

we have a 2 minute ride to port or home with a friend.

Archived