Blue mountains tour suggestions

smj

Our hotel concierge highly recommended Blue Diamond Tours for a day trip to the Blue Mountains. We were extremely pleased with them. This is a small company offering personalized service. They do small group tours with a maximum number of participants being around 14 or so.

I've never used them, but heard good things about them.

The Blue Mountains are a favourite day-trip destinations for many Sydneysiders, and. the small towns up there are delightful.

On Saturdays and Sundays it can get a bit busy.

There are many, many tour operators offering trips from Sydney to the mountains and you will coma across their brochures all over town, and all hotel concierges will be able to book something for you. There is really no need to make arrangements prior to arrival to Sydney.

The exception would be if you want a good bargain. These can sometimes be found on "discount websites" such as Groupon.com. They also offer (more often) cheap deals to the wine-growing region of the Hunter Valley. These include wine tastings, stops at cellar doors and (sometimes) a lunch as well. These are long day tours, typically leaving Sydney around 07.00 and returning late afternoon/early evening.

Some of these tours (to the mountains or the Hunter) are conducted in large coaches. Whilst these are comfortable, I find that a lot of time is wasted waiting for slow people. And (sorry to sound racially stereotypical) if there are a lot of Japanese and/or Chinese guests on the tour you'll be forever waiting for them to get out of souvenir shops.

If you are just a little bit adventurous, there is a very convenient train from Sydney's Central Station (hourly, 18 min past the hour) to the Blue Mountains and beyond. To the main villages of Leura (nicest, I think) it takes and just under 2 hours and a few minutes more to the "main" town of Katoomba.

Tickets are just under AUD $9.00 one way.

Once in the mountains, there is a HoHo bus, the Blue Mountains Explorer that runs loops ever half hour to all the major and important sights. They have a very good website you can Google.

Tickets are AUD$ 40 p.p., which is pretty good value.

They also have a combination ticket which comes with unlimited rides on the various "scenic rides", such as the cable car that rides across the canyon up there. Definitely no suitable for folks afraid of heights (or depths actually).

The village of Leura is lovely, with a few decent restaurants and cafe's. For a treat eat a place called SILKS BRASSERIE (bookings are definitely recommended. Your hotel will be able to arrange this). Leura has a range of quirky shops, full of stuff nobody NEEDS, but is nice to have.

Katoomba is the main town up there. I find it a bit Hippy and slightly faded.

All walking tracks in the area are well sign posted, and not even ray Charles would get lost. As long as you stick to the trails and walk ways you'll be safe.

Take a bottle of water and a hat!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just in the Blue Mountains a few days ago with peter Bailey of Baileys Tours -He takes private groups in his van. Very friendly personable fellow-great tour, great restaurant for lunch in Leura We also went to Featherdale Wildlife park and Peter has wonderful knowledge of all the animals. I highly recommend his tours.

We were just in the Blue Mountains a few days ago with peter Bailey of Baileys Tours -He takes private groups in his van. Very friendly personable fellow-great tour, great restaurant for lunch in Leura We also went to Featherdale Wildlife park and Peter has wonderful knowledge of all the animals. I highly recommend his tours.

Does anyone know if you do this tour if they also bring you to the caves? Somebody at work mentioned that I should go to the caves as it is amazing.

Thanks! Supposed to be down in a village with s very narrow road.

Does anyone know if you do this tour if they also bring you to the caves? Somebody at work mentioned that I should go to the caves as it is amazing.

That would be Jenolan Caves.

This is just beyond the Blue Mountains and about 1hr 20m from Katoomba. This would have to be done on its own or in conjuction with a very quick stop at Katoomba - say 3 Sisters plus Scenic World. Need to be out of Katoomba by 11.30am to make the one-way traffic down into the Caves during the 12-1.15 timeframe, otherwise you will be up against two-way traffic on a very narrow road:eek:

Travel time from Sydney to Jenolan is 3.5 hrs.

Their is a guest house for overnight accom.

That would be Jenolan Caves.

This is just beyond the Blue Mountains and about 1hr 20m from Katoomba. This would have to be done on its own or in conjuction with a very quick stop at Katoomba - say 3 Sisters plus Scenic World. Need to be out of Katoomba by 11.30am to make the one-way traffic down into the Caves during the 12-1.15 timeframe, otherwise you will be up against two-way traffic on a very narrow road:eek:

Travel time from Sydney to Jenolan is 3.5 hrs.

Their is a guest house for overnight accom.

I found a Tour with Viator looking on trip advisor. Will have to read more in to it. Thanks very much for your information[emoji4]

Viator has a two day combo package that includes a day trip to blue mountains and feather dale it's actually very reasonably priced. The actual tour company is grey line

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I live at the end of the blue mountains, so I'm not especially familiar with day trips but do know the area very well!

Day trips are likely to visit the touristy places - if you're fine with that, a bus trip could be the way to go. Scenic world Katoomba and Echo Point are major spots, and I think some tours stop there on the way to the caves.

If it were me, I'd prefer to see some of the beautiful spots off the beaten track that are less crowded. Most tours don't go past Katoomba, but to my mind the most beautiful spots are elsewhere. Wentworth falls has beautiful bush walks and swimming holes, much more untouched and natural. Blackheath is lovely as well. The jenolean caves road splits off between mt Victoria and Lithgow, and the views from the train from Mt Vic to Lithgow are stunning.

Trains are pretty cheap and reliable, as are local buses. Taxis aren't bad if you're wanting to go further afield.

I live at the end of the blue mountains, so I'm not especially familiar with day trips but do know the area very well!

Day trips are likely to visit the touristy places - if you're fine with that, a bus trip could be the way to go. Scenic world Katoomba and Echo Point are major spots, and I think some tours stop there on the way to the caves.

If it were me, I'd prefer to see some of the beautiful spots off the beaten track that are less crowded. Most tours don't go past Katoomba, but to my mind the most beautiful spots are elsewhere. Wentworth falls has beautiful bush walks and swimming holes, much more untouched and natural. Blackheath is lovely as well. The jenolean caves road splits off between mt Victoria and Lithgow, and the views from the train from Mt Vic to Lithgow are stunning.

Trains are pretty cheap and reliable, as are local buses. Taxis aren't bad if you're wanting to go further afield.

Thanks! I ended up going thru Viator a few days ago. Leaving now and will arrive in Sydney in 2 days [emoji4] going to the Blue Mts and the caves!

• 2 months later...

Janolan Caves are wonderful, but an extra hour and a half past Katoomba, I'd suggest if you want to do the caves and the three sisters probably a two day trip is best overnighting in the Mountains.

• 2 months later...
Thanks! I ended up going thru Viator a few days ago. Leaving now and will arrive in Sydney in 2 days [emoji4] going to the Blue Mts and the caves!

We are thinking of booking the 2 day package with Viator which does the city one day then the blue mountains the following. Did you have a good experience with viator? Thank you in advance for the reply:confused:

We are thinking of booking the 2 day package with Viator which does the city one day then the blue mountains the following. Did you have a good experience with viator? Thank you in advance for the reply:confused:

We are also interested in this tour so look forward to reading a review of the 2-day tour with Viatour and whether or not good value for cost.:cool:

Edited by mattie00

• 1 month later...

Could you post back about your experience with this please? Hope you loved it! Thanks!