Any Safety Concerns?

iflyrc5

We will be on a cruise in Jan 2015 that stops in Cartagena and are considering doing a private tour with one of the vendors that we see recommended on this board. Just wondering what personal experience folks have had recently with concerns for personal safety while on a tour? Were there armed military at every corner or was it more like any major city around the world were you just need to take normal precautions? When we were in Santa Marta several years ago there were armed military about every 500 feet along the water front. We were in Barcelona and Rome recently and the big concern there is for pickpockets. Just wondering. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Cartagena several times starting about five years ago. We will stop there again in January.

We've found that with each passing year the city is getting safer and safer. Like all cities around the world including those in the USA you do want to be street smart and by that I mean being observant of those around you. I also would not wear expensive jewelry but I know say that about everywhere.

We felt very comfortable as we tour the city and being with a private guide is great because he will ensure that you do not wander somewhere that you should not.

I would use a travel wallet here but again I use them in many places we travel.

It is a wonderful city with so much to see and as I said it is getting better each time we return and tourism has become central to the local economy.

Have a great time.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to Cartagena several times starting about five years ago. We will stop there again in January.

We've found that with each passing year the city is getting safer and safer. Like all cities around the world including those in the USA you do want to be street smart and by that I mean being observant of those around you. I also would not wear expensive jewelry but I know say that about everywhere.

We felt very comfortable as we tour the city and being with a private guide is great because he will ensure that you do not wander somewhere that you should not.

I would use a travel wallet here but again I use them in many places we travel.

It is a wonderful city with so much to see and as I said it is getting better each time we return and tourism has become central to the local economy.

Have a great time.

Keith

Keith....

What is a "travel wallet?"

Where do they sell these?

Thanks.

Don

• 1 month later...

I know most of the people would think that see the military armed around is unsafe, is quite the opposite in Colombia, that is the safest place you can be. I know a lot of people will disagree with me about it, but Colombia is not like many other countries, is not in turmoil and is a stable democracy and of course it has security problems. seen the military around shouldn't be of any concern, they are there to protect you. I know we are not use to see the national guard patrolling the streets but in other places that is normal and part of the every days's life.

Enjoy your trip and have a great time in Cartagena, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world.