Epic, Getaway, or Carnival Breeze?

rms519

I am trying to decide between these 3 for February break. We are a family of 5, kids ages 11, 9, and 6. We have done the Magic and Sunshine and just got off the Getaway on July 19th and loved it! We would do the Getaway again but its about $1000 more than the other 2. We like the ports on the Epic and have never been to the ports on the Breeze. The kids love the water slides, ropes, and mini golf. We also liked the entertainment on the Getaway. Airfare is really expensive that week so we are looking to save some money if we can. We are from NY so just getting out if the cold is worth it. We like the freestyle on NCL also. Has anyone done all 3 and what do you think? Thank you for your feedback!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't done any of them (will be on Epic in November), with that being said (and since no one else commented)... if you just got off the Getaway, I'd rule that one out because of price and experience. I always prefer to do different ships and different ports if possible. That way you get "new" experiences. I've heard some great things about the Breeze, with it being new ship and new ports...I'd try that. Now if the Epic is new ports and new ship to you, as like the Breeze, then it would come down to price. Carnival now has the anytime dining, much like NCL's freestyle. Both ships are roughly the same in size with Breeze being slightly newer. Both have great kids programs. So it becomes a personal preference.

I would also try another ship. You can always do Getaway another time. Breakaway is Getaway's sister ship so they should be identical or very similar. I personally would do the one that either has the cheapest cost if the itinerary is the same. If you really loved NCL then I'd choose Breakaway.

Unless you want to try Epic, as it is going to Europe soon, I would go with the Breeze. I have heard good things about it and was thinking about doing this summer.

I am from NY and are a family of 5 so I get the air argument. It is crazy.

I'm with the others who have posted that you can always do Getaway again another time.

I've heard very good things about the Breeze, but the Epic is my absolute favorite ship, by a lot, and she's moving to Europe. I'd jump on board there before you lose the chance. You can always do the Breeze later.

I would also try another ship. You can always do Getaway another time. Breakaway is Getaway's sister ship so they should be identical or very similar. I personally would do the one that either has the cheapest cost if the itinerary is the same. If you really loved NCL then I'd choose Breakaway.

I meant Epic, I don't know where I got Breakaway...Epic is it's own ship not a sister to Getaway. If you really like NCL do Epic. The Epic is bigger then the Breeze. But the Breeze has more going on and is newer. This link is interesting. http://cruises.travelandleisure.com/compare/1-180/Carnival-Breeze-vs-Norwegian-Epic

Edited by Siora7777

We have done the Breeze but not the other two. We are going on the Epic in February. I would choose the Breeze b/c it's going to have different stuff just because it's a different cruise line. We have done 1 Princess, 5 or 6 Carnival and 1 RCL. We love them all but the Breeze has been one of our all time favourites. The ship is so new and beautiful. The variety of "free" dining choices, especially at lunch is amazing. I missed that when we went RCL last time. The ropes course and the 5D movie theatre are so much fun for the kiddies (adults too). The camp is amazing.

You mentioned that you like Freestyle dining, I believe the Breeze has a choice between set dining or "your time dining" so you can sign up to do that and you can dine whenever you want for dinner within their open hours. Some people think it's cheezy but I love the singing dancing waiters on Carnival as well. It makes dinner time so fun for the kiddies.

Another perk for the Breeze is that kids can choose to have dinner with their camp friends while you dine in peace. You may not use it much but it's nice to have the option.

Lastly, the cabins on the Breeze are mostly likely bigger than on the other two so you have more space to move around.

Our kids were 8,7,3 and 2 on the Breeze if that helps.

Loved Breeze working on NCL now but Breeze was a fun ship great Cside Jimmies BBQ on sea days a must do.

I have only sailed Carnival once (on the Freedom), and I said never again ... BUT .... I would consider the Breeze. The ship looks like a lot of fun, and I love the itinerary.

HI all!

I too have been on all 3, Epic 3 times & booked again for the Med next year, Breeze twice in 7 months & Getaway once in May. I loved them all & think any of the 3 would be great for kids.

The food options on Breeze are really good eg Guy's Burger, Indian food, Mongolian Wok etc. I really loved the cove balcony on Breeze as did anybody who saw it. The Thrill Theater was fun too but did have a charge.

You're sure to have a great time whichever one you choose.

~ Jo ~:)

Thank you all so much for the responses! Now I'm pretty much down to the Epic or Breeze. We have also done Carnival Magic (2/2013) which we liked and the Carnival Sunshine (2/2014) which was pretty good except that it's smaller. I did check out the price for Breakaway to see if it would save airfare. No way! It was over $6000! The Epic is $3500 for 2 insides and the Breeze is $3800 for a Deluxe Ocean View. The Getaway is $4500 for 2 insides. I'd rather spend the money in airfare and avoid cold sea days. Please keep the responses coming. Now, the Breeze is the 8 day Southern (Aruba, Curaçao, and Grand Turk) that week. The Epic is Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen. We've been to these but not the Southern. FYI, only my husband got off in St. Thomas and Bahamas. Myself and the kids stayed on the ship enjoying less crowds. However, we do like the Epic ports. Thank you so much!!

I was just on the Breeze in May and throughly enjoyed myself. My husband and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary and it was amazing!!! Lots off activities to do and events going on. We were not disappointed...Our cabin was very spacious. The ropes course was fun. MDR for was okay...which is to be expected, but the steakhouse was amazing!!!! And as a previous poster stated the lunch options are amazing. ..my mouth is still watering for Guys burgers....and the burrito place was excellent...I also enjoyed the buffet and liked the set up, it was never unbearably crowded. The ship itself was never crowded, the main pool was always fun. The staff was amazing...The CD, Matt, was amazing and definitely not too bad on the eyes, lol!! My vote is the Breeze. I cant speak on what it would be like for kids but I didn't see any kids unhappy on the ship. Also I love the fact they have adult activities like adult dodgeball, basketball, and game nights. I don't have anything else to compare it to as I go on my first NCL cruise on the Getaway in November.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I would do the Breeze just for the ports and the extra day of cruising

The ports the Epic and Getaway every cruiseline goes to every week all year long for cheap

Did the op even say breakaway was one of the choices?

If not it should be because it sails from NY and the op is from NY

However the op is talking about airfare and 3 other ships so I am thinking BA is not one of their choices

Personally I would nit risk flying for feb break

I am from NY and over the many many years of February breaks my kids have had I can tell you that many if their friends have had trips canceled and or delayed due to storms

Of course they all had trips planned that required a flight

Of the friends who have cruised out of NYC at this time the worst case was they had to drive in the snow or use metro north/ lirr and cab to the port

Just sayin and ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I am trying to decide between these 3 for February break. We are a family of 5, kids ages 11, 9, and 6. We have done the Magic and Sunshine and just got off the Getaway on July 19th and loved it! We would do the Getaway again but its about $1000 more than the other 2. We like the ports on the Epic and have never been to the ports on the Breeze. The kids love the water slides, ropes, and mini golf. We also liked the entertainment on the Getaway. Airfare is really expensive that week so we are looking to save some money if we can. We are from NY so just getting out if the cold is worth it. We like the freestyle on NCL also. Has anyone done all 3 and what do you think? Thank you for your feedback!

My wife and I have done all three. We liked the entertainment best on the Getaway and Epic. We were Carnival lovers but have found the entertainment on NCL better and more varied. Your kids will love Blue Man Group on the Epic. But if you are sharing a cabin with them be aware the Epic has a "different" bathroom configuration. The commode and the shower are each in their own separate frosted glass enclosures with the sink as part of the counter. For my wife and I this made for dressing much quicker but with children you would have to draw the curten the separates the bathroom area from the rest of the cabin to give privacy to anyone in the shower or commode.

I hope this helps.

Did the op even say breakaway was one of the choices?

If not it should be because it sails from NY and the op is from NY

However the op is talking about airfare and 3 other ships so I am thinking BA is not one of their choices

Personally I would nit risk flying for feb break

I am from NY and over the many many years of February breaks my kids have had I can tell you that many if their friends have had trips canceled and or delayed due to storms

Of course they all had trips planned that required a flight

Of the friends who have cruised out of NYC at this time the worst case was they had to drive in the snow or use metro north/ lirr and cab to the port

Just sayin and ymmv

If you would have read the whole thread you would have seen me address my original post. You would have also seen the OP address the BA ship as well.

Edited by Siora7777

Can't read the whole thread

But we have had bad bad winters lately

And we are south of you

Having driven from DC to Tampa several years ago during the tail of a blizzard as weather isn't covered in the travel insurance RCL had

I'd go Breakaway

And I have no desire otherwise to go on Breakaway

Just the 8 extra days of school that we has to make up here on the mason Dixon line- and you are further up

I wouldn't risk a cruise in February

We did them all the time when we were flying West Coast to Miami

All 3 winter cruises we have taken from the east have been really close calls- flight delays, flights canceled, returns cancelled.....

Have fun choosing !!ugh!!

If you would have read the whole thread you would have seen me address my original post. You would have also seen the OP address the BA ship as well.

Never mind responding to your comment isn't important

Edited by luvtheships