Darkwood Beach

JanKP

We went to this beach a couple of weeks ago on our RC cruise. We found a cabbie to take us for $50 round trip. We walked past the orange-shirt cab drivers, who were quite aggressive. Their fare for 4 ppl round trip was $64 ( $8 pp, each way). Our waiter on the ship said not to pay more than $40 round-trip, but we were in a hurry and just took the first deal we could manage. Your results may vary.

The driver we used was just outside the port and was a licensed driver. Another family of 4 shared the van and they were dropped off at Jolly Beach. He tried to talk us into going to Jolly Beach, but we insisted on continuing to Darkwood. Very glad we did. It was about a 20-25 minute cab ride

Darkwood is a beautiful expanse of beach, with changing facilities, restaurant, loungers to rent and an awning for shade. We rented 2 loungers ( which came with a bucket of 6 eight-oz. beers; could have sodas if desired) for $25. We rented 2 additional loungers for $5 each. There is a long, permanent awning structure which provides shade, so you can move your chair in or out of the sun.

We had pulled pork, chicken sandwiches, lobster roll and lobster salad. Servers took order on beach and served there, though you could also eat in the restaurant. Delicious food.

There were a few vendors hawking massages, jewelry and tshirts, but they were very unobtrusive. I bought a beautiful necklace for $10.

There is an inflatable bounce-type water obstacle course. We did not use this but it looked fun. Price was $15 for half hour.

There were 2 vendors renting jet skis, $50 for half hour I think. Though there were jet-skis being used, there were not many, they were not noisy, and did not interfere with the swimming area.

The beach is white and gorgeous. Easy entry into water. It is possible to snorkel. We brought our own gear so i don't recall if rental was available there. There is a rocky area to the far left as you face the water. Fishes abound. There are large black sea urchins, but they are deep in the water, so getting too close, as in some snorkel situations was not a concern.

Highly recommended. Though there were 2 ships in port, this beach had maybe 50 people on it.

Hi, Thanks for your post!! We intend to go back to Darkwood next week on our cruise, we were there about a year ago. We loved that it wasn't crowded and thought the water was beautiful. Where did they put this bouncy thing?? They didn't have anything like that when we were there, Thanks!! Cheryl:)

• 6 months later...
We went to this beach a couple of weeks ago on our RC cruise. We found a cabbie to take us for $50 round trip. We walked past the orange-shirt cab drivers, who were quite aggressive. Their fare for 4 ppl round trip was $64 ( $8 pp, each way). Our waiter on the ship said not to pay more than $40 round-trip, but we were in a hurry and just took the first deal we could manage. Your results may vary.

The driver we used was just outside the port and was a licensed driver. Another family of 4 shared the van and they were dropped off at Jolly Beach. He tried to talk us into going to Jolly Beach, but we insisted on continuing to Darkwood. Very glad we did. It was about a 20-25 minute cab ride

Darkwood is a beautiful expanse of beach, with changing facilities, restaurant, loungers to rent and an awning for shade. We rented 2 loungers ( which came with a bucket of 6 eight-oz. beers; could have sodas if desired) for $25. We rented 2 additional loungers for $5 each. There is a long, permanent awning structure which provides shade, so you can move your chair in or out of the sun.

We had pulled pork, chicken sandwiches, lobster roll and lobster salad. Servers took order on beach and served there, though you could also eat in the restaurant. Delicious food.

There were a few vendors hawking massages, jewelry and tshirts, but they were very unobtrusive. I bought a beautiful necklace for $10.

There is an inflatable bounce-type water obstacle course. We did not use this but it looked fun. Price was $15 for half hour.

There were 2 vendors renting jet skis, $50 for half hour I think. Though there were jet-skis being used, there were not many, they were not noisy, and did not interfere with the swimming area.

The beach is white and gorgeous. Easy entry into water. It is possible to snorkel. We brought our own gear so i don't recall if rental was available there. There is a rocky area to the far left as you face the water. Fishes abound. There are large black sea urchins, but they are deep in the water, so getting too close, as in some snorkel situations was not a concern.

Highly recommended. Though there were 2 ships in port, this beach had maybe 50 people on it.

Thank you for your review! Was the food included in the price or an additional fee?

Do you recall if there were lockers available for rent?

• 2 weeks later...
We would just add that its possible to get to Darkwood on a local bus (you need to walk to the bus station) for only a few dollars. Can't remember if its the #20 or #22.

Hank

Has anybody taken the bus to this beach lately? Just want to be sure we we take the correct bus. And would appreciate input re directions for walking to bus. Thanks

Has anybody taken the bus to this beach lately? Just want to be sure we we take the correct bus. And would appreciate input re directions for walking to bus. Thanks

Hi

DH and I haven't been yet but I have been doing a bit of planning. We aim to catch the bus. I went into google maps, really close up and saw that the bus station is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the cruise port. On exiting the port, aim right and the bus station is just beyond the fish market, and the VC Bird monument. It is on Market Street which when on the bus leads to Valley Road which in turn is the road all the way to Dark Wood Bay.

Try it, once you have google walked a place, the real thing is not so scarey :) I do it all the time when researching new places.

It's even better if you can walk the google man along streetview if its available for that area, that way you can even see where bus stops are and what buildings are at the corners of junctions to aid orientation.

Edited by jasperado

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from the port to the bus station. As has been posted, once you exit the port just walk up to the first major intersection and turn right. Eventually you will come to the station (if you have doubts just ask a local). I was able to confirm that the bus is the #22. Not sure of the current fare in US Dollars but it should be no more then $1.50. You pay on the bus. As to finding the right stop (its right along the main road), just ask the driver to let you know :).

Hank

My wife took a bus in Antigua and was horrified that the driver took her $1.50, put it in his pocket and didn't give her a ticket. I was laughing - the driver owns the bus, it's his living. The buses are all minivans, squeeze in and you will enjoy talking with the locals on the way. Don't worry about bus number. When you get to the bus station, look lost and somebody will readily point you in the right direction. Ask for Darkwood, not the bus number. The bus will leave when the driver feels like it i.e. when it kinda fills up. He will also be happy to drop you off at any spot that you choose.

We're on the Royal Princess now. Went to Darkwood yesterday. The beach IS beautiful. No bouncy thing in the water though and snorkeling was difficult as there is such a steep drop you can't really see the bottom. Of course there was a guy with a sailboat who was happy to take us to a snorkeling spot for a fee. [emoji23]

The vendors were coming up to my chair selling jewelry, sarongs, jet skis rides, sailing rides, every 10 mins or so.

Still a lovely beach. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks we will plan the bus route. We have always had memorable experiences when doing so in the past on other islands. In this case was it also easy to return?

We did this a year ago. The #22 bus drops off right @Darkwood. The return stop (back to St. Johns) is a few steps from the entrance to the bar/restaurant there. We used EC as fare, but the driver will accept USD.

There appeared to be no set departure times IIRC as the driver waited until the bus(older motorcoach w/ no A/C) was full(a few minutes after we arrived) before departing the station. The trip was about 30 minutes traveling each way, and the return bus came around every 30-40 minutes. It was very easy to do. A peek at Google Earth/Maps shows where the West Bus Station is located. Head down Market St. and stay right at the VC Bird Monument.

There are a handful of vendors at the beach, but a simple "no thank you"(or two) when we first arrived left us alone for the rest of our time there. We chose not to eat at the restaurant, but drinks were reasonably priced. There is a fresh water shower(ask an attendant to have it turned on) and also changing stalls. The bar/restaurant has a couple of rows of beach chairs(shaded) for rent, but there are also a handful of public chairs located at the end of the beach.

One can, of course, plop down towels anywhere.

Just a word about snorkeling at Darkwood. There is a pretty decent area, but it is far to the left (actually past the end of the beach) which would be a challenge for those without fins and the willingness to swim quite a distance. And of course sea conditions must be right...which means not to rough and no recent storms that would have stirred up the bottom.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

An update based on our recent visit (early December). The beach has been "discovered" and was quite busy during our visit ( "two tall had to get some additional loungers to accommodate all the customers). The beach bar/restaurant remains among the friendliest on the island and it remains our "go to" place on the island. It costs us about $5 round trip (total cost for 2) from town because we use the #22 bus (from the West end bus station). Expect to pay up to $20 for 2 chairs + Umbrella or other shade) which can vary depending on supply and demand.

And lastly, we think a social movement should be started to rename this beach "Two Tall Beach" :). For those who have not visited Darkwood, "Too Tall" really seems to run things and is a delightful island character. Hard to imagine how anyone could be more friendly then this wonderful guy.

Hank

I have smaller children and was considering going here but what kind of drop are we talking about ?

Also how much would it cost for a cab ride for 4 of us ?

We're on the Royal Princess now. Went to Darkwood yesterday. The beach IS beautiful. No bouncy thing in the water though and snorkeling was difficult as there is such a steep drop you can't really see the bottom. Of course there was a guy with a sailboat who was happy to take us to a snorkeling spot for a fee. [emoji23]

The vendors were coming up to my chair selling jewelry, sarongs, jet skis rides, sailing rides, every 10 mins or so.

Still a lovely beach. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have smaller children and was considering going here but what kind of drop are we talking about ?

Also how much would it cost for a cab ride for 4 of us ?

Not sure we would recommend this beach for small children. The drop-off is pretty fast (and deep). We have never used a taxi to get to Darkwood (we always take the #22 bus) but I think it would be about $25-$30 (one-way) for a taxi.

Hank