Update on St. Catherine Beach

Viva_la_Vida

I just returned from a lovely trip to Bermuda and visited St. Catherine's beach while there. I had read a thread on here that mentioned a stand was opening that rented chairs and maybe sold snacks, like in the past. We saw no evidence of that, unfortunately. It was very lovely though and well worth the walk over from the very-crowded Tobacco Bay.

Here are a few pics:

27569994552_7e1d39ee8c_b.jpg

27603194811_df16d15921_b.jpg

27603197461_6ca8933c44_b.jpg

27677875485_287c1ff687_b.jpg

Well this view will sadly be much changed when they build the St. Regis on the beach.. Though it will still be a public beach

13435441_10154185074555758_8926789412551714605_n.jpg?oh=0345eb1152e523be3c4a9f7cda013b18&oe=5803BE80

13394158_10154185074425758_7016766436169908033_n.jpg?oh=e5749d31e4f359fe545ea84c0d867fcf&oe=58017FA1

Wow what a shame! I'm so glad we made it out there before it is built. Tobacco was bursting at the seams on Thursday. I can't imagine how much more crowded it will be with a big resort right next door!

• 2 weeks later...

That's weird because guys were working on the "shack" when we were there last year and there was all this talk about opening up a place.

Now a resort hotel? They must have to make new roads and stuff then because that looks like a huge resort going in and St Catherines backs up to a street there. :confused:

I'm so glad we were able to experience before this.

That's weird because guys were working on the "shack" when we were there last year and there was all this talk about opening up a place.

Now a resort hotel? They must have to make new roads and stuff then because that looks like a huge resort going in and St Catherines backs up to a street there. :confused:

I'm so glad we were able to experience before this.

There used to be a resort hotel there. For many years. The beach was for the hotel. Also there was a golf course. When I first started going to Bermuda it was a Club Med. The hotel building was demolished a few years ago so a new resort could be built. As is typical in Bermuda there have been delays but site has been and is intended to be for a resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The hotel that was there had not been used since we stated going there… we would walk up through the golf course to get to the beach.. They finally took it down, Bermuda progress runs slow… I figure we have a few more years before that resort is built and running….

The hotel that was there had not been used since we stated going there… we would walk up through the golf course to get to the beach.. They finally took it down, Bermuda progress runs slow… I figure we have a few more years before that resort is built and running….

It probably will be a few years given the way things go in Bermuda but I think St. George's needs a hotel for it's economy. People need jobs and stores and businesses need customers. Since they are not developing or destroying some pristine site, that was already done, that is not a natural site there. St. Catherine's beach might even be man made. I can't see any objection to a hotel if it is a viable one.

Edited by Charles4515

There used to be a resort hotel there. For many years. The beach was for the hotel. Also there was a golf course. When I first started going to Bermuda it was a Club Med. The hotel building was demolished a few years ago so a new resort could be built. As is typical in Bermuda there have been delays but site has been and is intended to be for a resort.

Yep, I remember everyone talking about a hotel that was there and it was wiped out by a hurricane or something years ago? I remember looking up pictures of what it use to look like.

But what was the shack they were building when I was there last year? The workers were actually working on it the day we were there. I thought I remembered someone posting a Bermuda article about a vendor opening up shop there and selling food and I remember something about a discussion with coolers for drinks? Do you remember that post Charles? Did this ever happen? (Maybe it was something to tie them over and help bring business to this beach/area until this hotel is built?)

Ok I found it:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150817/NEWS/150819729

And now it looks like he is being shut down for the new development.

http://bernews.com/2016/03/bbc-news-beach-vendor-forced-to-move/

It's kinda weird if Bermuda moves so slow and it will be years before this project is done...why don't they let him stay until then? I mean if the beach is still going to be open for the public during the construction, it's not like he would be in the way right?

Yep, I remember everyone talking about a hotel that was there and it was wiped out by a hurricane or something years ago? I remember looking up pictures of what it use to look like.

The hotel was damaged in a hurricane and closed but the building stood empty for years. In 2008 it was demolished. They exploded the building. Here is a video.

Ok I found it:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150817/NEWS/150819729

And now it looks like he is being shut down for the new development.

http://bernews.com/2016/03/bbc-news-beach-vendor-forced-to-move/

It's kinda weird if Bermuda moves so slow and it will be years before this project is done...why don't they let him stay until then? I mean if the beach is still going to be open for the public during the construction, it's not like he would be in the way right?

I had read the article when he opened but hadn't seen the second link on his closing. Had been relying on visual reports he was gone. Thanks for finding the article.

I would not assume the beach will remain open during construction or that it will be open to the public after the new resort is built. ( I won't actually believe it will be built until a shovel is turned). As to why he had to close right away. I would guess politics.

Edited by Charles4515

I'm not usually a pessimist but, I'll believe it when I see it. A former premier guaranteed that the last hotel was going to be built, the one for which the old one was imploded and everything torn down in the beach there. Over the years any number of things were going to be built on that site and other places but nothing materialized.

I'm not usually a pessimist but, I'll believe it when I see it. A former premier guaranteed that the last hotel was going to be built, the one for which the old one was imploded and everything torn down in the beach there. Over the years any number of things were going to be built on that site and other places but nothing materialized.

I'm with you. Too many announcements of a new hotel made by too many politicians over the years, with not one actually materializing.

I predict this year's excuse for the new hotel not being built will be the Brexit vote. (I hope I'm wrong.)

The hotel was damaged in a hurricane and closed but the building stood empty for years. In 2008 it was demolished. They exploded the building. Here is a video.

Wow, thanks for that link Charles. That was amazing. It's weird knowing this was here before we ever came to Bermuda...then what might be there in the future. :)

I had read the article when he opened but hadn't seen the second link on his closing. Had been relying on visual reports he was gone. Thanks for finding the article.

I would not assume the beach will remain open during construction or that it will be open to the public after the new resort is built. ( I won't actually believe it will be built until a shovel is turned). As to why he had to close right away. I would guess politics.

True, I hadn't thought about whether it would even be open to the public once (if) it's built.