Public Transit Info

taxgal

Just returned on June 12th from Bermuda on the Summit. We rode public transit the entire time. Just some info-

1. The booth near the ship opens at 8 am and closes at 1:30 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

2. The booth accepts both cash and credit; however there is a 3.75% convenience charge for credit.

3. The booth only sells 1 and 2 day passes.

For tokens, you need to go to the Visitors info center, they sell passes and tokens.

For tickets, you need to go to Hamilton and purchase them at the info center.

While the official publications state you need either tokens, tickets or coins, they will accept, on both buses and ferries, cash. We saw numerous tourist place $5 or $10 bills in the payment receptacles. Change will not be made. We used $1 coins, and they accepted them, but looked at us funny!

Just returned on June 12th from Bermuda on the Summit. We rode public transit the entire time. Just some info-

1. The booth near the ship opens at 8 am and closes at 1:30 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

2. The booth accepts both cash and credit; however there is a 3.75% convenience charge for credit.

3. The booth only sells 1 and 2 day passes.

For tokens, you need to go to the Visitors info center, they sell passes and tokens.

For tickets, you need to go to Hamilton and purchase them at the info center.

While the official publications state you need either tokens, tickets or coins, they will accept, on both buses and ferries, cash. We saw numerous tourist place $5 or $10 bills in the payment receptacles. Change will not be made. We used $1 coins, and they accepted them, but looked at us funny!

I was on the June 12 sailing and I purchased tokens at the Visitor Information Center by the ship. Tokens were sold there. They also had bus schedules and maps.

c7f44118840de7692c6fd7cc639d195c.jpg

015df586365bbf9f5effafefcdc61b59.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

End of May, we arrived on the Breakaway @ Heritage Wharf, passes were sold inside the Terminal building - VIC - instead of standing outside under the sun for 10 to 15 minutes - signage is for the 1 day & 2 day passes. But, they also have tokens and pax were using them to board the ferries to Hamilton & St. George's (where US currencies are accepted as well). King's Wharf has its own VIC, pictured in Charles' + the outside "booth".

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160525/ce36fc749469777de1e51a11970dfc69.jpg

Footnotes: on days with 2 or more ships docked (smaller ones @ Hamilton & St. George's) - ferries are far easier to get on as we saw long lines for frugal travelers waiting to board the public buses. Returning from caves & beaches, buses are full along the way until some folks (locals) get off to make room for others to board - make good use of the shuttles or even taxis, share the rides as the rates are regulated & posted.

WiFi passes also on sale there, although we didn't need to buy or use the paid Dockyard hotspot (also valid for use at other locations on the islands, per my understanding ... signal is good up to deck 6 & deck 7 on the ship's promenade or outdoors, etc.) SSID is "WiFiZone" by TDi

I can use my iPhone to text on deck 7 for free?

No - it is not free.

Most buy the paid WiFi passes, 3 days for $15 withcan unlimited usage by TDi.

We used our own 3G cellular data plan, partner coverage by Digitcel on the islands instead of paid WiFi. Therefore, we did not have to BUY the paid WiFi pass to use on our devices, i.e. texting, web browsing/checking email or WiFi calling on supported smartphones & iPhones properly configured.

Some passengers purchased/have paid WiFi data from the cruise ship and can also do that, subject to limitations and speed & bandwidth issues, typical with satellite broadband - not always successful.

Bermuda stores at Dockyard, such as Frog and Onion Pub, also offering "free" WiFi minutes to their customers while on the premises, with purchases, etc. - most if not all of them are secured WiFi, password are needed to log in to use.

Edited by mking8288

We saw numerous tourist place $5 or $10 bills in the payment receptacles. Change will not be made. We used $1 coins, and they accepted them, but looked at us funny!

So they are accepting dollar bills now? They wouldn't last year when we were there (twice). :(

So they are accepting dollar bills now? They wouldn't last year when we were there (twice). :(

They are not supposed to take dollar bills on the buses. Some of the bus drivers might not say anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are not supposed to take dollar bills on the buses. Some of the bus drivers might not say anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, that's what I thought after our experience last year. I was just making sure and thought maybe this had "changed". :D:p haha, get it, "changed"