Celebrity Silhouette Baltic cruise shuttle buses?

Al54

I just booked the 2-14 may 2016 Baltic cruise, on Celebrity Silhouette. Looking at the ports websites, I discovered that the ship will be docked in two (ugly!) industrial harbours, very far from the city-center : Rostock cargo harbour, instead of Travemünde cruiseships harbour (Rostock harbour is far from the city center, and from the railway station, about 45 mn using public bus and streetcar), and Muuga instead of Tallinn harbour (21 kms from old town, nothing about any public bus). We'll loose a lot of time. I hope we'll be docked closer in Stockholm!!!!!! It's my first time on Celebrity and I would like to know if this "modern Luxury" line provides free of charge shuttle buses? Or any shuttle bus?

Thanks a lot if you have any knowledge about it.

Al54

I just booked the 2-14 may 2016 Baltic cruise, on Celebrity Silhouette. Looking at the ports websites, I discovered that the ship will be docked in two (ugly!) industrial harbours, very far from the city-center : Rostock cargo harbour, instead of Travemünde cruiseships harbour (Rostock harbour is far from the city center, and from the railway station, about 45 mn using public bus and streetcar), and Muuga instead of Tallinn harbour (21 kms from old town, nothing about any public bus). We'll loose a lot of time. I hope we'll be docked closer in Stockholm!!!!!! It's my first time on Celebrity and I would like to know if this "modern Luxury" line provides free of charge shuttle buses? Or any shuttle bus?

Al54

Regarding Rostock it depends where you want to go. The cruiseport of Warnemuende is actually 20 km away from Rostock city and the cargo port ist much closer. There are shuttle buses to Rostock town. If you want to go to Berlin all ports are far away. If you want to visit Warnemuende indeed not perfect, shuttle bus to Rostock and tram and train to this nice little seaside town. Issue is there are two other large cruise ships in Warnemuende so the third goes zo Rostock.

Talllin cruise port is often called Muuga Tallinn but I trust docking will still be in Tallinn close to the city. They have enough docks available for multiple cruise ships.

I feel better knowing I won't have to struggle with public buses timetables to go to Rostock city center! I just discover there is a shuttle boat from Rostock harbour to Warnemünde (regular, not from the cruiseline). I hope you are right about Tallinn.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Al 54

Hello AI54,

Where have you found the information that you will be in Muuga (and not Tallin City centre) ?

I have not been able to find the port info for Tallinn and would appreciate, if you could let me know

(I will be on the Baltic seac cruise on Silhouette just after yours - i.e. starting 14May)

Thank you!

Steph.

Hello Steph!

I was also unable to verify on the port website, but in "My Celebrity" the port of call for my cruise is Muuga (Tallinn). For example, when a ship is docked far from Amsterdam city-center the cruiseline usually writes : Ijmuiden (Amsterdam). Same thing in Stockholm (forgot the name of the very-far-from-city-harbour, Nyshamm or something like that). So, why to write Muuga (Tallinn) if we are docked in the city center of Tallinn? Don't know if, for your cruise, Celebrity website says Muuga or simply Tallinn. I can just tell you I have checked the port website in Warnemünde-Rostock and you are luckier than me : you'll be docked in Warnemünde cruise port, which is more pleasant and convenient. If I find news about it, I'll post again.

Kind regards,

Al

We did a 14 night Baltic Cruise last year and our itinerary also said Muuga. We actually docked in Tallinn - it was just a 10 minute walk into the old city so I think you will find your cruise will also dock at Tallinn & not as stated Muuga

Don't know why Celebrity say docking at Muuga!

We enjoyed walking around Tallinn but be prepared - it is very touristy.

Stockholm - we docked right next to the Hop On Hop off boats - the ticket offices are immediately LEFT. If you want to go to the VASA Museum - make sure you get off 1st thing as queue's can be really long to get into the VASA. The 1st boats of the day will take you directly to the Vasa - normally they go to other drop off points first.

You will love this cruise

Edited by lydnsyd

Thanks a lot for sharing your (good) experience about Tallinn and Stockholm. I'll probably follow your advice : walk to Tallinn and take the hoho boat in Stockholm.

I feel better to know that Celebrity writes "Muuga" probably just because they love the name!

Kind regards,

Al

We did this cruise this past summer. We docked at Warnemünde and you can walk off the ship and into the seaside town. There is a train station, or do like we did, rent a car and go to Schwerin and Rostock, then walk around Warnemünde. The car rental was literally across the street from the ship. In Tallin there is a shuttle but you can walk in 10 or 15 minutes. Get there early! We had a nice lunch in the town square. Stockholm hop on hop off boats are just a half block from the ship I second it -- get to Vasa first. Check out my trip report with lots of photos--it's in my signature.

I'll read your review with interest. Unfortunately the same cruise doesn't dock at the same place, and for Warnemünde, my problem is precisely that we don't dock in Warnemünde but in Rostock cargos harbour very far from the town and from the railway station (sorry, I don't drive). But Cruise critic members told me there'll be shuttles to Rostock city-center and I'll certainly take it.

Did you made this cruise at the beginning of May? I checked the hoho boat website in Stockholm and they say it operates only from the 15th of may. I hope they'll make an exception because two big ships will be there on the 10th.

Thanks again, I'll read your review.

Kind regards,

Al

Did you made this cruise at the beginning of May? I checked the hoho boat website in Stockholm and they say it operates only from the 15th of may. I hope they'll make an exception because two big ships will be there on the 10th.

Al

There are at least 2 Ho Ho Boat operators. As far as I can see the STROMMA boats operate from 30th April so you should be fine.

Edited by lydnsyd

We did this cruise last year and we thought we had our plan for Stockholm from doing our research. But at some point evidently our assigned dock changed and we were not in the city center by the HOHO boat. We were much further out - it was a mess, transportation wise. A few HOHO busses came out but people who used that option ran out of time to do the VASA. I hope that you dock as planned - if not, I suggest you snag a taxi to take you into the city.

By the way, the sail in and out of Stockholm was absolutely gorgeous!

We did this cruise last year and docked in Warnemunde and Tallin. Hopefully, you will have the same. Celebrity did run a bus from the dock (in Tallin) to the old city. We did not use it as the walk did not seem that bad. We were happy with that decision as at the end of the day the line for the bus was pretty long. Bus was not free.

Thanks a lot for being so helpful. I like to plan my excursions in advance, because I think we stop for a very short time in some places (Stockholm, for example) and to loose time should spoil your cruise, but I know anything may happen with docking.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Al54

Tallin port is Mungga Tallin - I have checked with Celebrity and we are in the Tallin Port

Thanks a lot. It appears now that we are in the best possible ports : Helsinki Hernesaari (not the closest but the ship is too big to be docked in the south port), Stockholm Stadsgården, Copenhagen Langelinie and Tallinn center port. Rostock remains a problem, but nothing's perfect!

Thanks again,

Al