Trip cancellation for a group of 8

krazijesse

Looked around and haven't found anyone canceling a trip for a group of people that's covered by insurance...

So, I purchased an Custom Luxe insurance policy from CSA covering 8 people. The group includes me, wife, parents, parents-in-law, sister-in-law, and sister-in-law's boyfriend - so it should satisfy all Family Member and Traveling Companion requirements.

My parents are old and should one of them (or anyone else for that matter) get sick before the trip, would I be able to cancel the trip for all 8 of us and get the entire refund back?

Also, how "sick" does one have to be to be legitimately covered by insurance companies?

Thanks for any feedback!

I believe the answer to the original question is Yes

How "sick"?

Under a licensed medical care and professionally advised in writing to not travel.

The next question though that could muck all this up is

"pre-existing condition" clause. Did you purchase insurance in time that would waive any issues surrounding a pre-existing condition.

Yes, I purchased the trip insurance within 24 hours of booking the cruise, so it should cover pre-existing medical conditions.

That said, if for any reason my mom's physician says that she cannot go, the rest of us (7 in total) can cancel and get the entire trip amount back right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I purchased the trip insurance within 24 hours of booking the cruise, so it should cover pre-existing medical conditions.

That said, if for any reason my mom's physician says that she cannot go, the rest of us (7 in total) can cancel and get the entire trip amount back right?

The definition of who Immediate Family members are should be clearly defined in your policy.

That definition varies from policy to policy and can also be different based on the laws of the State in which each person resides.

In-Laws and boyfriends :confused: ????? as 6rugrats said,,, you should get clarification from your TA or your insurance provider.

I'll admit,,, I don't trust phone reps. Especially when they are trained to provide vague answers.

Did the phone rep give you the answer you wanted to hear? Or, did they guide you to the page in the policy and explain why you were getting the answer you wanted to hear?

At the end of the day, what the phone rep told you holds no weight. Only what's documented in the policy.

All the phone rep said was that everyone would be covered as long as the trip was cancelled under the circumstances listed in the policy, which I already knew. But I already knew that answer.

I just wanted to clarify if one person dropped out could mean everyone can claim a refund (I actually paid for everyone). So I pointed out to her if one person was sick, would I be able to get a refund on all? She just said yes without explaining and that I would just submit a claim form.

I guess my answer is yes. I just wished they would be more helpful in explaining why everyone's covered...

I just wanted to clarify if one person dropped out could mean everyone can claim a refund (I actually paid for everyone). So I pointed out to her if one person was sick, would I be able to get a refund on all? She just said yes without explaining and that I would just submit a claim form.

The covered reasons for trip cancellation in the fine print is preceeded by this:

"Reasons for Cancellation and Interruption:

The following reasons apply to you, a Family Member, or a Traveling Companion and must occur while coverage is in effect:"

So assuming everyone is on a policy and that their bookings are cross-referenced in the cruise line's reservation system, if the sister-in-law's boyfriend breaks a leg the week before sailing and has to cancel, the other 7 can cancel because he is a "traveling companion" to the other 7. If your Mom has to cancel for a covered reason, everyone except boyfriend would be able to cancel under either the "traveling companion" or the "family member" definition. The boyfriend would be able to cancel under the "traveling companion" definition.

If everyone is on the same policy then there's no problem proving the "traveling companion" relationship. If they're on more than one policy then just to be safe be sure the cruise line has the bookings cross-referenced.

Thanks! I called them and they said everyone is covered (although the person spoke like she didn't want to confirm for each member, just basically reading the policy booklet)

It is going to be a "he said; she said" issue if something happens and you need to collect. People lie through their teeth on the phone.

Ask your question in writing and demand a reply in writing.

DON