How's the Statendam these days?

RonJoan

We are contemplating a 31-day RT cruise from San Diego to South America in Nov '14. But, we have been away from these CC Boards for several months and don't know what the current reports are on the Statendam. We have a recollection that there were a lot of problem reports on A/C systems, ventilation and other things on that ship when we were last active on these Boards.

Can somebody fill us in on what the reports on that ship look like now, before we book and perhaps make a mistake we might regret? Thank you.

RonJoan

Edited by RonJoan

I don't think you would have any regrets sailing on the Statendam. We sail on her in November (same cruise your planning) and she was in great shape then. She was updated a couple of years ago with all new carpets, cabin furnishing, etc. We were very please, like you we were a little apprehensive because of her age, but no need. We had an awesome cruise on her, and her crew was outstanding.

Hi! I just got off the Statendam on April 15 after the 15-day Lima to San Diego trip. The ship seemed well-updated, though there were contractors all over working on the wifi. I don't believe it was working at all for our cruise, but I gave up on satellite wifi several cruises ago! There were a few issues with leaky plumbing on Deck 9, I believe it was, but nothing too alarming or disastrous. We were in a code red for the latter portion of the cruise. They actually did a super-sanitization in San Diego after we docked. The crew was kept very busy cleaning things 'round the clock, but I don't believe that many people had GIS. I only knew of two, and I heard that there were no more than 9 cabins affected at once, and that rumour was from a reliable source. There seemed to be more people with sinus issues, which could have been caused by the formaldehyde spray that they doused everything with every night! Overall, my cabin was much more updated than a recent trip on the Volendam. The Volendam even still had that old fashioned hair dryer on the wall in the bathroom! Hope all that helps. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to sail on it again, though there is a rumour they are selling it. All in all, Statendam is as comfortable a ship as any other HAL ship. Lima old town was amazing, and Antigua, Guatemala was a cruise highlight (1.5 hour ride from port). I opted for the second half of the cruise instead of the full San Diego to Lima round trip and spent a week in Cusco and Machu Picchu beforehand, and paid a lot less than the ship excursion, FYI! Machu Picchu was the trip highlight, for sure. Amazing place. Bon voyage!

Hi Ron and Joan, come on along and let's find out togather.;) Trisha and Virgil are also on board for this adventure.:eek::)

Jane & Gary!

I get the feeling we have cruised with you before but I cannot nail it down in my 78 y.o brain! Also, could the "Trisha & Virgil you mention be Kakalina? I'm thinking it could have been the Ryndam to Hawaii & So. Pacific in 3/12?

Tomorrow I will check the Roll Calls to see if there is one established for the Statendam 11/14 cruise.

Ron & Joan

Edited by RonJoan

Thank you both for you informative and prompt reply. We have sailed Ryndam several times and the Statendam should be almost identical.

I'm still open for any further comments on recent Statendam experiences.

RonJoan

Jane & Gary!

I get the feeling we have cruised with you before but I cannot nail it down in my 78 y.o brain! Also, could the "Trisha & Virgil you mention be Kakalina? I'm thinking it could have been the Ryndam to Hawaii & So. Pacific in 3/12?

Tomorrow I will check the Roll Calls to see if there is one established for the Statendam 11/14 cruise.

Ron & Joan

You bet, Trisha is Kakalina and Virgil is her husband. We have cruised togather, I believe it was on the Rotterdam to Hawaii and the So.Pacific in 2011. There is a roll call established. (FYI Gary's brain in also 78 and my brain is 72:eek:.)

You bet, Trisha is Kakalina and Virgil is her husband. We have cruised togather, I believe it was on the Rotterdam to Hawaii and the So.Pacific in 2011. There is a roll call established. (FYI Gary's brain in also 78 and my brain is 72:eek:.)

Jane & Gary,

We took the Hawaii & So. Pacific cruise on Ryndam two years in a row - in 3/11 and again in 3/12. It is coming back to me now and I am sure we met on the 3/11 cruise. If we go on this Statendam cruise it will be nice to see you both again. We expect to make a final decision in a few days.

Ron & Joan in San Juan Capistrano, CA

Hi Ron and Joan, it is us for certain! We decided to try some new places as French Polynesia is getting a little tiresome. Hope you can join us. Come on over and check out our roll call.

It's been a few years since we've been on the Statendam ( our favorite ship in the fleet ) but the last time we were on her was wonderful. And recent returnees are giving her a thumbs up. Worth it to us.

Hi Ron. Tom Steinman here...Locomotiveman. STATENDAM has nearly been our 2nd home this past 12 months, 3 30-day cruises all told. If you are wondering about the seaworthiness/condition of the vessel I would say 'Shipshape'. New carpets and lounge furniture here and there as I recall. Standard painting/revarnishing continue non-stop. You will feel right at home after being on the ROTTERDAM with us to Polynesia a few yrs ago.

At this point in STATENDAM's history I suppose one should expect certain un-expecteds. Yes, we knew a few cabin occupants that needed to be re-quartered account water pipe breaks and such. Personally, Peggy and I have NOT had any cabin issues...and we've not been inconvenienced by workmen who've been re-doing Fiber-optic Cables thru-out vessel. STATENDAM's 'feel' is of a passing Era...No glitz, no Siss-boom-bah that the new ones have. We love the Deck6 walk-around Promenade for lounging/walking etc.

You may not like HAL's new 'Wine brought aboard ship' policy. Forewarned is Forearmed, Ron.

I have to mention the CODE RED health issue. Returning this month from Lima,Peru the Capt. informed us many people had the 'Cruiseship Crud', thus NO Hot-tubs, NO library books or games/puzzles, NO Lido self-service of food etc. You make the call if that issue bothers you personally. Peggy, an RN, believes it results from Not-too-tidy passenger hygiene and not the fault of any particular ship. Nuff' said on that.

Have a great time whatever you do folks. Keep cruising. Regards to Joan. From Minnesota, Locomotiveman TOM and PEGGY

Hi Ron. Tom Steinman here...Locomotiveman. STATENDAM has nearly been our 2nd home this past 12 months, 3 30-day cruises all told. If you are wondering about the seaworthiness/condition of the vessel I would say 'Shipshape'. New carpets and lounge furniture here and there as I recall. Standard painting/revarnishing continue non-stop. You will feel right at home after being on the ROTTERDAM with us to Polynesia a few yrs ago.

At this point in STATENDAM's history I suppose one should expect certain un-expecteds. Yes, we knew a few cabin occupants that needed to be re-quartered account water pipe breaks and such. Personally, Peggy and I have NOT had any cabin issues...and we've not been inconvenienced by workmen who've been re-doing Fiber-optic Cables thru-out vessel. STATENDAM's 'feel' is of a passing Era...No glitz, no Siss-boom-bah that the new ones have. We love the Deck6 walk-around Promenade for lounging/walking etc.

You may not like HAL's new 'Wine brought aboard ship' policy. Forewarned is Forearmed, Ron.

I have to mention the CODE RED health issue. Returning this month from Lima,Peru the Capt. informed us many people had the 'Cruiseship Crud', thus NO Hot-tubs, NO library books or games/puzzles, NO Lido self-service of food etc. You make the call if that issue bothers you personally. Peggy, an RN, believes it results from Not-too-tidy passenger hygiene and not the fault of any particular ship. Nuff' said on that.

Have a great time whatever you do folks. Keep cruising. Regards to Joan. From Minnesota, Locomotiveman TOM and PEGGY

HI TOM!

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for all the good info. Are there any areas on the ship that I should avoid when selecting a cabin? Such as clogged toilets, A/C not working, bursting pipes, etc. In the past it seems the reports I read indicated the problem areas were localized to certain parts of the ship. I didn't pay enough attention at the time to remember them now.

WOW!!! Three 30-day cruises! I'm jealous.

Ron

HI TOM!

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for all the good info. Are there any areas on the ship that I should avoid when selecting a cabin? Such as clogged toilets, A/C not working, bursting pipes, etc. In the past it seems the reports I read indicated the problem areas were localized to certain parts of the ship. I didn't pay enough attention at the time to remember them now.

Ron

We were on here the first week in Oct in a Neptune suite starboard and just aft of the Neptune Lounge. We felt vibrations for all 5 days of our cruise. Would avoid that area to be safe. They said it had something to do with one of the engines that they normally do not use but had to due to the rough seas. DO not know if that was true or not.

Edited by DaveOKC

Hi Ron and Joan, it is us for certain! We decided to try some new places as French Polynesia is getting a little tiresome. Hope you can join us. Come on over and check out our roll call.

It's been a few years since we've been on the Statendam ( our favorite ship in the fleet ) but the last time we were on her was wonderful. And recent returnees are giving her a thumbs up. Worth it to us.

Hi Trisha!

Nice to hear from you. We are seriously checking the details on the Nov 2 Statendam cruise and will make a final decision within a week. I have fond memories of the Rotterdam cruise to Polynesia with you and Virgil. We did that cruise on two consecutive years in 3/11 and 3/12. I can't remember which one was with your but I kind of think it might have been both.

Ron & Joan "RonJoan"

We were on here the first week in Oct in a Neptune suite starboard and just aft of the Neptune Lounge. We felt vibrations for all 5 days of our cruise. Would avoid that area to be safe. They said it had something to do with one of the engines that they normally do not use but had to due to the rough seas. DO not know if that was true or not.

Thank you for the tip Dave. If we go we will avoid that area.

RonJoan

HI TOM!

Ron

RON, OK guy..Here goes.

VERANDA DECK #9. Cabins A-170 to about A-178 Midships had to be moved/compensated account burst water pipes. Never did completely dry out. I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

MAIN DECK #5. Cabins 530 to about 546 on Port Side Forward some had wet floors/shower backups etc. I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

In general, however, I never heard STATENDAM gossip in 2013/2014 of 'Stinky areas...Too Hot..Too Cold' like we've all occasionally heard of on various vessels. I don't know your Comfort Level, but those E-327 and E-329 or similar on Lower Promenade Deck#6 are the 'Cat's Meow' we think, but they were taken last month. We love being on Lower Promenade or Deck#9 Far Astern...and having a HUGE mahogany Deck for naps/reading just steps away...for $$Cheap$$. Ciao, Ronny. Locomotiveman TOMandPEGGY

I don't know your Comfort Level, but those E-327 and E-329 or similar on Lower Promenade Deck#6 are the 'Cat's Meow' we think, but they were taken last month. We love being on Lower Promenade or Deck#9 Far Astern...and having a HUGE mahogany Deck for naps/reading just steps away...for $$Cheap$$. Ciao, Ronny. Locomotiveman TOMandPEGGY

Just curious, I was looking up the deck plans and wonder what's so special about 327 & 329. Is it the location or the room itself?

We think of a cruise with the Statendam in 2015 to Alaska.

Because the Suite will be too expensive for us, we look for an Outside Cabin and are interested which will be the best.

So it is also interesting to know what is special about 327 and 329 :)

We normally have balcony cabins on our cruises, so it would be nice to be outside pretty fast that it may feel like a balcony :D

Is the Statendam a good chip to go to a colder region ?

Thank you for helping

Greets from sunny Germany

Janine

This post is very helpful as we are sailing on the Statendam later this year. I have made note of the flooded cabins (just in case) I did have a question regarding the sideways cabins.

I noticed on deck 4 cabin J773 and J769 are sideways as well as deck 5 cabins K548 and K549. Are these inside cabins larger because of the room layout? Is there more room to walk around? Does anyone have any photos of these sideways cabins?

Hi Trisha!

Nice to hear from you. We are seriously checking the details on the Nov 2 Statendam cruise and will make a final decision within a week. I have fond memories of the Rotterdam cruise to Polynesia with you and Virgil. We did that cruise on two consecutive years in 3/11 and 3/12. I can't remember which one was with your but I kind of think it might have been both.

Ron & Joan "RonJoan"

Yes, we were on both of them with you. This is the first year in 8 that we have not gone to FP. Sure hope you join us. :D

JanDom and Theloo.

Hi. I mentioned those 2 cabins E-327 or 329 (or similar) because they are only steps from the outside Lower Promenade on Deck #6. Many people laze on Deck6 Promenade Loungers or walk a lot. Great option if they can't $$Afford$$ a private Veranda...or they like to socialize outside without taking the elevator all the time. Similar Cabins are found near every Door exit to the #6 Lower Promenade Deck. Enjoy. Locomotiveman TOM

I wondered has happened to the Hawaii, Tahiti and Marguesas 29 day cruise previously scheduled for Apr. 14 to May 13, 2015? We were considering a cruise to this area and have recorded the prices to compare later in the year. Possible charter now???? It is later scheduled for cruises to Alaska.

Hello Everyone on the Roll Call!

Today we booked passage on the Statendam for 11/2/14. We are Ron & Joan from San Juan Capistrano, CA and we live about a mile from the Mission where the swallows come (or used to until they found a better deal under the Freeway bridges closer to the creek). Thank you to those of you who responded to our Statendam questions on the main Board

We've cruised a bit before and already know a few of the Roll Call members (Kakalina & lazey 1). We're looking forward to meeting more of you. Trisha, please add us to the Roll Call. We've cruised (and motorhomed) the west coast of Mexico quite a few times and to the Panama Canal but never have been to So. America. If anyone has arranged or is arranging private shore excursions, we are interested.

Ron and Joan aka RonJoan

Just curious, I was looking up the deck plans and wonder what's so special about 327 & 329. Is it the location or the room itself?

My husband & I are booked for a late Aug. Alaska cruise and saw other posts recommending the port side, so that's what I booked on deck 5. With your post, I am now wondering if the opposite side of the ship is any better, can people peek inside your lower promenade, is the atrium noise or launderette noise intrusive? The rooms available now are 333,335,337,339. I appreciate your feedback!!!