Mediterranean in April on Oceana

Auckland Cone

Hi, our family of four from NZ (kids 15 & 13) are cruising for eight days for first time and are interested in thoughts on the P&O shore excursions for Livorno and Naples in particular (we will DIY in Dubrovnik and Venice after reading reviews). We are keen to go to Pisa and Florence and probably Pompeii and Sorrento in the ports but are not sure if its best to do the ship excursions or going with a private tour. We would be keen on tour sharing but there are none on the roll call (or company websites) at present. It seems that the private tours (for 4) are more expensive but I think could be more worthwhile as we wont be with a bus load but would love to hear your thoughts. Also am I right in assuming that being the start of April it wont be too busy or since it is UK school holidays is it likely to be?

Many thanks

The first time we went to Livorno we took the ships tour to Pisa and Livorno to ensure we were back on time. We did the 'on your own' type of tour which provides transport and a commentary on the coach but leaves you to explore in the cities.

You can do both by train but its awkward and short notice strikes are not unknown on Italian trains. We have also used cruisingexcursions.com who offer good value trips including private tours. We have been around the Med at different times and to be honest its always seemed busy in the popular tourist cities.

We have not done the Amalfi area so cannot offer advice there..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, our family of four from NZ (kids 15 & 13) are cruising for eight days for first time and are interested in thoughts on the P&O shore excursions for Livorno and Naples in particular (we will DIY in Dubrovnik and Venice after reading reviews). We are keen to go to Pisa and Florence and probably Pompeii and Sorrento in the ports but are not sure if its best to do the ship excursions or going with a private tour. We would be keen on tour sharing but there are none on the roll call (or company websites) at present. It seems that the private tours (for 4) are more expensive but I think could be more worthwhile as we wont be with a bus load but would love to hear your thoughts. Also am I right in assuming that being the start of April it wont be too busy or since it is UK school holidays is it likely to be?

Many thanks

We have done the P&O trip from Livorno to Florence and it was long day but well worth it. In Naples we have alwasys done our own thing, it is very easy to to get to Pompeii by train or to go to Capri, Ischia or Sorrento by one of the local ferries which go from just outside the cruise port. Our schools are closed for Easter from Friday 3rd reopening Monday 20th so if your cruise is during this period you could well find that there are a number UK families on board.

Hi

We are on same cruise (our first time) and are also interested in investigating private/shared tours as we feel we need some local guidance, chance to queue jump on popular tourist venues and help with transport arrangements. Check out Viator Tours for alternatives to P & O. The one I am really interested in is sharing a trip to Capri with bluegrottotours.com check out the itinerary - it looks amazing! Today's price quoted for 2 is 205 euros per person, which is far too expensive to consider. Would also like to investigate different options for Florence. Let me know if you find any bargains!

Cheers

SuBeryl

Many thanks

Hi, just wondering when you are sailing. Our school holiday start on April 3rd and we return to school on the 20th. Some parts of the UK may be different though. We sail on the Oceana on the 8th and expect it to be busy. :)

on our last cruise we were lucky to have a few on rollcall that wanted to share tours and we used Italy Shore drivers for 3 tours and they were all really good.

Livorno- we had a tour that started at Pisa while it was nice and quiet, then on to Florence, and they adjusted the tour to what we wanted to do.

Naples- we went to pompei first, then for a drive on the amalfi coast.

both our tours included a lunch stop as the American couples really wanted to include food and wine while in Italy, we didn't mind either way but as it turns out, it made for a great time! BUT, the good thing about this company is that its your choice, no need to stop for food at all if that's your preference.

There were 8 of us and the small mini bus was perfect for nipping in and out of narrow streets which was a godsend in Florence and also on our Rome tour with them. We were always back at the ship in plenty of time too so no worries there.

just one thing I would add, while it was great to see pompei and also the amalfi coast, you have to understand that you cant possibly see everything properly in just a few hours, I would have spent longer at pompei if it was possible but that would have meant not seeing anything else. ah well I will just have to go back on another cruise!!

on our last cruise we were lucky to have a few on rollcall that wanted to share tours and we used Italy Shore drivers for 3 tours and they were all really good.

Livorno- we had a tour that started at Pisa while it was nice and quiet, then on to Florence, and they adjusted the tour to what we wanted to do.

Naples- we went to pompei first, then for a drive on the amalfi coast.

both our tours included a lunch stop as the American couples really wanted to include food and wine while in Italy, we didn't mind either way but as it turns out, it made for a great time! BUT, the good thing about this company is that its your choice, no need to stop for food at all if that's your preference.

There were 8 of us and the small mini bus was perfect for nipping in and out of narrow streets which was a godsend in Florence and also on our Rome tour with them. We were always back at the ship in plenty of time too so no worries there.

just one thing I would add, while it was great to see pompei and also the amalfi coast, you have to understand that you cant possibly see everything properly in just a few hours, I would have spent longer at pompei if it was possible but that would have meant not seeing anything else. ah well I will just have to go back on another cruise!!

A word of warning about the Amalfi Coast if you are doing it yourself ..the road is notorious for traffic jams and accidents. On our cruise a few years ago 4 people missed the ship at Sorrento because of just that. Although the ship waited for a coach load on a P & O tour they didn't wait for anyone else! Rather fortunately, somehow the 4 managed to get themselves to Sicily which was our next Port and caught us up the following day! Just be aware....