tips: philadelphia to cruise red hook gone 24 days

lactmom4sons

Trying to find the best way to get from Pittsburgh with stop off in Philadelphia (we can leave car here) to Red Hook pier for Cunard transatlantic cruise that will have us gone for 24 days. Considering best ways. Know what the charges would be to drive to pier and pay to leave the car there for 24 days. Looking for any other suggestions. would like to keep cost below what is needed to park car which is $480. Do need to consider luggage with us. Leaving on a Sunday and coming back on a Wednesday which seems to be problematic. Thanks for any suggestions. Not leaving until May so have time to see different plans.

Mega bus is also an option. Also, don't rule out Greyhound. Sometimes their fares are competitive.

You can get Mega bus from Pittsburgh to NYC direct and taxi.

If Philly is a requirement, there are some limo services that go direct to the pier. Some like to use Dave's limo.

Have you considered the train to NY Penn Station and a cab to Red Hook? This should cost under $250 round trip for two people.

How difficult is it to take bags for 24 day cruise from penn station to cab or car service to cruise port. Husband reluctant to have us drag bag each with wheels and probably carry on as well.

thank you for advice to make to easier. would like pros and cons:confused:

If you're on Amtrak, you should be able to tell the conductor you will need a red cap porter to take your luggage to a cab in New York. I think there is a way they can call ahead and arrange this for you. I don't know how much this costs, but I'm sure someone will know whether it's a fixed fee or what the expected tip is.

Just don't be in a rush. Folks will swarm off the train. Take your time and you will get assistance on the lower level train platform. The porters will take you up the elevator and on to wherever you can get a cab.

Be sure to have the address and written directions to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal with you.

There's no charge for red cap porter service, but you should tip the porter. Since it's a good distance from the tracks to the taxi stand, I'd tip about $5 per bag, up to a maximum of $20...a lot more than I tip at the cruise terminals in NY where I typically tip $5 total for two bags.

Edited by njhorseman

If you're on Amtrak, you should be able to tell the conductor you will need a red cap porter to take your luggage to a cab in New York. I think there is a way they can call ahead and arrange this for you. I don't know how much this costs, but I'm sure someone will know whether it's a fixed fee or what the expected tip is.

Just don't be in a rush. Folks will swarm off the train. Take your time and you will get assistance on the lower level train platform. The porters will take you up the elevator and on to wherever you can get a cab.

Be sure to have the address and written directions to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal with you.

is it better to book ahead with limo service like carmel or just get a cab? do any on have experience using carmel? thanks again.

Lots of folks have used Carmel. It's a trade off. If you book a car service, you run the risk of wait time charges if your train is late. If the limos pick up at a certain area at Penn Station, then you have to have the red cap take you there to find the limo. A cab might be a more flexible option.

I don't really know what to advise you. Perhaps others who have done this can comment.

I haven't done this trip, but as long as you don't have the need for a particular type of vehicle (something larger than a sedan because you have more than 2 or 3 people, or a handicapped accessible vehicle) I agree with Carol's suggestion that it makes more sense take a taxi. Amtrak is frequently late, which could end up costing you a significant waiting time charge if you've booked a car service.

If you take a taxi make sure you have directions to the cruise terminal. Not all drivers are going to know exactly how to get to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and if they take a wrong turn or two the meter will be running up the fare to more than it should be. I'd estimate about $35-40 plus tolls and tip should be about right.

Do you know how difficult it is to get a cab from Brooklyn cruise pier to penn station?
Should be easy. Cabs line up at Red Hook on disembarkation day. Your ship (QM2?) will probably have transfers that you can book while sailing back to New York although a cab will be cheaper.

Re: the train -- Amtrak nominally limits passengers to two carry-on bags plus two checked bags (more can be checked for $20 each) however most of the Northeast trains from PHL to NY Penn don't have checked baggage services. Out of 48 daily trains I only found 1 with checked baggage. On a similar trip we had two airline-checkable bags apiece plus smaller carryons and managed without issue.

Edited by Underwatr

You could also try Bolt Bus. Fares aren't out for May yet but they are about $28 pp now.

Bolt Bus is one bag checked per passenger, no assistance with luggage you have to place/retrieve it from under the bus. Carry ons are supposed to fit in the overhead but its not enforced. I've even placed a rollaboard under my legs.

You are dropped off though one block south of the Jacob Javitts Center, no shelters on West 33rd between 11th and 12th Avenues. Not too big an issue to get a cab for a very short ride to the ship. You could even walk it if fit.

I've done Bolt for my cruise out of Baltimore. Traffic on I-95 can be a factor.

If you have bags and want assistance do Amtrak, yes do tell the Conductor you want Red Cap for help upon arrival. Note NY Penn is a crew change point so the crew will be leaving the train just as fast as the passengers. As others posted, just wait for the crowd to dissipate and you won't have an issue.

FWIW