Edinburgh Castle tickets

We will be on a BI cruise next month and are taking the cruise line's Edinburgh on your own transfer from Greenock, scheduled departure 9.30am. How long will the drive take, when can I book an entrance for Edinburgh Castle? They have a 11-12noon slot, will we be able to make this, will we be refused entry if we're a little late getting there? The other option would be the 12 noon-1pm slot, but we want to spend the major part of our trip at the castle and would like to get in at the earliest, we plan on taking a cab to the castle immediately on arriving Edinburgh. We'll only have about 4.5-5 hours in town but the trip is mainly for my niece and nephew, they're very keen on seeing the castle.

Thanks in advance, Prish

The drive to Edinburgh from Greenock is around 70 miles, and you would expect it to take around 1 and 3 /4 hours assuming reasonable traffic conditions.

Therefore there is very little chance of arriving at the start of the 11.00 am time slot, but unless there are delays on the way, you should be able to arrive before 12.00.

I can't say whether you would be admitted if you arrived later but I would think it unlikely that they would stop you. Perhaps some of our Scottish experts can advise you on this.

It's weird - when I booked our tickets through the castle's website, we didn't have to pick a time slot. Today I went in to the same website and there are time slots. Our tickets say, "from 9:30, last entry at 17:00".

Does the bus say where they're dropping you off? Usually the buses will drop off at Johnston Terrace and you walk up the stairs to the castle. (BTW - there's a public bathroom right there on the stairs.) Are they setting you down somewhere farther from the castle? It should only take 10 mins. to walk from Johnston Terrace up to the castle entrance.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

It's weird - when I booked our tickets through the castle's website, we didn't have to pick a time slot. Today I went in to the same website and there are time slots. Our tickets say, "from 9:30, last entry at 17:00".

Does the bus say where they're dropping you off? Usually the buses will drop off at Johnston Terrace and you walk up the stairs to the castle. (BTW - there's a public bathroom right there on the stairs.) Are they setting you down somewhere farther from the castle? It should only take 10 mins. to walk from Johnston Terrace up to the castle entrance.

I bought our tickets on line quite a few months ago for Edinburgh Castle and, like you, ours did not have any specific time slot. Our tickets are good from 9:30 on.

Barb

Not sure exactly where we'll be dropped off, but they say it's a 20 minute walk or short ride in a taxi. We will take the taxi to save on time, I think we should definitely be at the castle by 11.45, if not earlier.

Am hoping someone local will be able to tell me how strictly the time slot is enforced, just in case we are delayed and get there past noon. Thanks all:)

I bought our tickets on line quite a few months ago for Edinburgh Castle and, like you, ours did not have any specific time slot. Our tickets are good from 9:30 on.

Barb

Barb - I emailed the ticket office for Edinburgh Castle and they said the tickets are good for anytime between 9:30am and 5pm. I don't know why they changed it but I'm glad we're not locked into certain times.

Prish - Sounds like they're dropping you off in a different location then. And - I think you're smart to get a taxi. ;)

Am hoping someone local will be able to tell me how strictly the time slot is enforced, just in case we are delayed and get there past noon. Thanks all:)

Locals can't really help with this as we've all been to the Castle as children and don't book tickets to visit these days :').

However I always tell cruisers that if they've got a strict time schedule it's best to take a taxi or mini-cab. Once you get on the tender you could phone and have one waiting for you...?? Try UK - (0)131 - 555-5555 or (0) 131-777-7777

Barb - I emailed the ticket office for Edinburgh Castle and they said the tickets are good for anytime between 9:30am and 5pm. I don't know why they changed it but I'm glad we're not locked into certain times.

Prish - Sounds like they're dropping you off in a different location then. And - I think you're smart to get a taxi. ;)

Good idea, I'll also email them to ask, thanks!

Locals can't really help with this as we've all been to the Castle as children and don't book tickets to visit these days :').

However I always tell cruisers that if they've got a strict time schedule it's best to take a taxi or mini-cab. Once you get on the tender you could phone and have one waiting for you...?? Try UK - (0)131 - 555-5555 or (0) 131-777-7777

Of course, tartanexile81 clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678

We'll be bused to Edinburgh from Greenock but will take a taxi straight to the castle, first things first!

It looks to me that they are trying to spread visits across the day. They say that you can turn up at any time in your slot and stay as long as you want. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was turned away for being late.

The busiest time at the castle is after 12:00 as people crowd in to see the one o'clock gun.

It looks to me that they are trying to spread visits across the day. They say that you can turn up at any time in your slot and stay as long as you want. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was turned away for being late.

The busiest time at the castle is after 12:00 as people crowd in to see the one o'clock gun.

I emailed Edinburgh Castle and got an automated message saying tickets were valid anytime during the day from 9.30 onwards, last entry at 5pm. They also say someone will get back to me in two working days, so hopefully I'll hear from them about my specific question, will post back here.

I also checked with Celebrity, they say the journey will take about 2 hours and we'll be dropped off at Waterloo Place. How far or otherwise is this from the castle? In any case we'll take a taxi as soon as we get off the bus, will walk down on the return.

Bob++, thanks for reminding me about the 1pm gun, had forgotten all about it, my niece and nephew are sure to get a kick out of it:D

I emailed Edinburgh Castle and got an automated message saying tickets were valid anytime during the day from 9.30 onwards, last entry at 5pm. They also say someone will get back to me in two working days, so hopefully I'll hear from them about my specific question, will post back here.

I also checked with Celebrity, they say the journey will take about 2 hours and we'll be dropped off at Waterloo Place. How far or otherwise is this from the castle? In any case we'll take a taxi as soon as we get off the bus, will walk down on the return.

Bob++, thanks for reminding me about the 1pm gun, had forgotten all about it, my niece and nephew are sure to get a kick out of it:D

The folks at Edinburgh Castle just emailed to say we should have no problems getting in even if we're a little late. Am guessing the time slots are meant to stagger the crowds:)

The folks at Edinburgh Castle just emailed to say we should have no problems getting in even if we're a little late. Am guessing the time slots are meant to stagger the crowds:)

Good to hear and that sounds logical.

Waterloo Place is past Waverly Station, but is walkable. It you want to get there quickly or don't like (or can't) walk up long gradual inclines, grab a taxi. According to Google Maps, it's a distance of .8 miles and 9 minutes in a taxi.

Good to hear and that sounds logical.

Waterloo Place is past Waverly Station, but is walkable. It you want to get there quickly or don't like (or can't) walk up long gradual inclines, grab a taxi. According to Google Maps, it's a distance of .8 miles and 9 minutes in a taxi.

Walking isn't the issue, we just want to get to the castle asap. especially since we'll have less than 5 hours in Edinburgh. We plan on taking a taxi up there, then walking down the Royal Mile to St Giles, Elephant Cafe and maybe a quick stop at the Scottish National Museum, time permitting of course!

Walking isn't the issue, we just want to get to the castle asap. especially since we'll have less than 5 hours in Edinburgh. We plan on taking a taxi up there, then walking down the Royal Mile to St Giles, Elephant Cafe and maybe a quick stop at the Scottish National Museum, time permitting of course!

Sounds like a plan! Also sounds like the time slots are similar to the embarkation time slots that the cruise lines email out to passengers. They say you can board during a certain time frame but in reality, you can show up anytime. ;)

:D

• When you get off the coach head towards Princes Street - the guide will point you in the right direction but it's right as you get off.
  • After 100 yards you'll come to traffic lights. Take a left.
  • Walk up another 200 yards and to you right and left is the Royal Mile. The Castle is on your right.
  • As you walk up you will mainly pass shops / cafes at first then St Giles, City Chambers and Mary King's Close.
  • Just after St Giles take a left at the traffic lights and you'll come to the Elephant House and near there is the National Museum of Scotland.
  • Go back up towards the Royal Mile and turn left to get to the Castle.

It's all very walkable and in close proximity.

• When you get off the coach head towards Princes Street - the guide will point you in the right direction but it's right as you get off.
  • After 100 yards you'll come to traffic lights. Take a left.
  • Walk up another 200 yards and to you right and left is the Royal Mile. The Castle is on your right.
  • As you walk up you will mainly pass shops / cafes at first then St Giles, City Chambers and Mary King's Close.
  • Just after St Giles take a left at the traffic lights and you'll come to the Elephant House and near there is the National Museum of Scotland.
  • Go back up towards the Royal Mile and turn left to get to the Castle.

It's all very walkable and in close proximity.

Thanks tartanexile, that's exactly what I needed, perfect directions. Yes, I know all the places are close to one another, an added plus when time's a constraint. We're planning on spending about 2 hours at the castle with another two for St Giles and the National Museum. Elephant Cafe will just be a photo stop, my niece and nephew grew up on the boy who lived!

Thanks all, Happy Mother's Day:)