New to cruising help me understand TA booking

plan09

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I going back and forth with my TA over a booking for Celebrity Equinox Sept.

I booked in Dec veranda and was assured if the price changed I would be eligible for the reduction.

I notified my TA when I happened to see a new price on the Celebrity site, a considerable decrease. The agent got the new price as listed on Celebrity but added a port charge. It looks like the port charge is already in the price quoted by Celebrity when I did a mock booking?

I am getting some explanation about non commission add ons and it is all very frustrating. I won't even go into the perks debate.

Sorry for the long story but my question is for those of you who booked via Celebrity is the price on the web site the price you paid or are port chargers added later? I know taxes are shown.

For those of you who book through TAs are port charges added above the website price that Celebrity list?

My sincere thanks for any information.

Thanks Tiffany. It shouldn't be this hard. I have never used a TA before.

Celebrity had a price reduction down to $1699. My agent got that price but then added taxes (on par with Celebrity +150$) but also added $300 port charge/non commission charge?

That sounds right. The price celebrity advertises may have just been the base fare and not the taxes and fees. You would have to click through like you are going to book it to see the final price.

My agent got that price but then added taxes (on par with Celebrity +150$) but also added $300 port charge/non commission charge?

You mean the TA is charging you $300 above the regular taxes and fees?

You didn't mention your sailing date, but since you mentioned Equinox in September I used the 9/7, 12-night sailing just for an example so you could see how it looks. Checking a Guarantee OV $1699 fare on the Celebrity site it prices out like this:

Passenger #1) $1,699.00 Taxes/Fees $154.38 Total $1,853.38 USD

Passenger #2) $1,699.00 Taxes/Fees $154.38 Total $1,853.38 USD

Subtotal: $3,398.00 Taxes/Fees $308.76 Grand Total $3,706.76 USD

The total taxes and fees on this sailing would be $308.76 total - there shouldn't be another $300 added to these. If there is, I'm not sure what the TA means :confused:

Hopefully someone else here can explain it to both of us:)

Sea hunt

Yes! Exactly!

I am being charged $300 above the Celebrity listed price.

So in my mind Celebrity factors in the "port charges" and my agent added them again,

Sea hunt

Yes! Exactly!

I am being charged $300 above the Celebrity listed price.

So in my mind Celebrity factors in the "port charges" and my agent added them again,

You should check it further, I have never seen Celebrity place port charges in the quoted price. Taxes and port charges are always added last after the fact.

Edited by dkjretired

I would look for another TA. Port charges are included in the price. Only taxes and gratuities (if they have to be paid up front) are added. I do know when we have gotten a lower price our TA does take away a little of the OBC they gave in the first place. Maybe $50. When the price drops so do the commissions, so I guess they might be entitled to something. $300 is a lot.

Does your TA charge a cancellation fee? If not, I would cancel and rebookwith Celebrity or another TA.

Edited by TeaBag

ask your TA for a copy of the Celebrity invoice. If they wont share it, then dump them.... Any TA worth their while will not be hiding anything and will gladly share the guest copy of the cruise line invoice.

Steve

Thanks Tiffany. It shouldn't be this hard. I have never used a TA before.

Celebrity had a price reduction down to $1699. My agent got that price but then added taxes (on par with Celebrity +150$) but also added $300 port charge/non commission charge?

I wouldn't accept any charge a TC can't or won't explain clearly. Port Charge / Non-Commission as a line item is a very vague description. It sounds to me like your TA may be charging you for a reduction in her commission due to the lower fare, or just flat out charging you a fee for changing the booking.

Many thanks to all.

I had a conference call with Celebrity and my TA and after getting past the first representative to a supervisor everything has been clarified. I take part of the blame for being uneducated on the ins and outs of cruising and there were some communication issues with my TA.

It was so helpful to use the advice here in resolving the problem. The Celebrity agent did say the cruise community on CC know more about cruising than anyone else:)

I am so excited to be sailing in September.